Can Am X3 part duex - the build/decorating of the new one

The thing is, a 2200 lb SXS with 195 hp is equal to a big sand car with a stroker vw motor! Not appealing to many people that only live in the sand!
Some day when they get the tunes for the 2021 models it will be a 215-225hp SXS.  LOL!

Spent the weekend with my friend wiring up everything to the Switch-Pros.  My friend Brian is really good with wiring and does a clean job.  We (code for mostly my friend.  LOL!) made all the wiring harness for the lights. I did do some of the soldering.   All the lines were hardwired to the Switch-Pros wires.  It was a long day, but worth it to have the wiring all done and nice a clean. 

w1.jpg

w2.jpg

w3.jpg

w5.jpg

w14.jpg

w6.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Making up the harness for the lights on the bumper

w7.jpg

w8.jpg

w9.jpg

w10.jpg

Even found a nice clean way to mount the variable speed controller for the Rugged air set up.  They have this control box that is a pain to find a good place to mount

Also swapped out my stock steering wheel for a nicer looking made in China wheel.  LOl!   Had to use a 3 jaw puller to get the stock wheel to break free of the splines. 

w17.jpg

w18.jpg

w19.jpg

My X3 made the maiden voyage to the dunes this weekend.  Car felt quicker than my last X3.  Suspension needed some tweaking as the dirt settings resulted in some tapping of the rear on some transitions and the rear in the sand whoops wanted to buck.   Sent some text to the shock tuner I used, Tom Morris, and he told me what tweaks need to be made on the shock settings.  Did what he recommended all was good.  I would say I am 98% there on shock set up for the dunes. After the adjustments is was way way better in the whoops and overall in the dunes.   Super impressed in how level the car stays when doing higher speed turns and those sweeping turns.

Had to add some high speed compression, lower the rear cross-over rings and open up the rebound on the rear shocks.

I do think I need more paddles.  My 10 paddle set up tends to get a lot of tire spin.  Need to go to a 12 paddle set up eventually. 

vets 2.jpg

vets 3.jpg

vets 4.jpg

Evolution Powersports says the 2022 has the same power as the 2021, based on dyno pulls and a bit by bit comparison of the stock tuning files. You might want to get your butt dyno recalibrated.    :lol:

The good news is the 2021 and 2022 X3s made 205 - 207 hp stock.

Last edited by a moderator:
Evolution Powersports says the 2022 has the same power as the 2021, based on dyno pulls and a bit by bit comparison of the stock tuning files. You might want to get your butt dyno recalibrated.    :lol:
He's comparing his new 2021 to his previous 2018 with a tune.

11 hours ago, Lord of the Dunes said:

The good news is the 2021 and 2022 X3s made 205 - 207 hp stock.

I was comparing my old X3 to the new one.  LOL!

I have heard the 2021s put down more power than advertised.   

You definitely need the 12 paddle set up as well as switch to the talon paddle. Notice your paddle only covers about 80% of the width. The new Talon goes all the way across. 

You definitely need the 12 paddle set up as well as switch to the talon paddle. Notice your paddle only covers about 80% of the width. The new Talon goes all the way across. 
For sure need a 12 paddle.  Not sure if I want the Talon or the Extreme paddle.  Hopefully I can try a set of Talon's out.  

No real rush as nobody has them in stock right now. 

Wasn't your old one rated at 195 hp like the 2021?
It started at 172hp and I added a tune that put it in the 190hp range (allegedly).  The new car just seems to deliver the power better. Based on the EVO video I am a lot more hp than my old one with the tune. 

It started at 172hp and I added a tune that put it in the 190hp range (allegedly).  The new car just seems to deliver the power better. Based on the EVO video I am a lot more hp than my old one with the tune. 
Ah, I didn't know it was that old.

Based on the videos I've seen, I'm very impressed with the way they accelerate, it seems to me they got the clutching right from the factory. I also like the way the engines sound, they sound more like a "serious" vehicle than an overgrown lawn mower or golf cart, as some of the others do.

Ah, I didn't know it was that old.

Based on the videos I've seen, I'm very impressed with the way they accelerate, it seems to me they got the clutching right from the factory. I also like the way the engines sound, they sound more like a "serious" vehicle than an overgrown lawn mower or golf cart, as some of the others do.
It accelerates pretty hard even with my paddle tires spinning for traction.  I imagine it will throw you in the back of the seat with 12 paddles.  In the dirt coming out of corners it pulls hard. 

One of the best sounding SXS motors was the V-twin they put in the Kawi. With the right exhaust it sounded like a mini V8. 

Can Am motor has a nice tone to it, but when people put the straight pipes it is super loud and hurts the ears.  

For sure need a 12 paddle.  Not sure if I want the Talon or the Extreme paddle.  Hopefully I can try a set of Talon's out.  

No real rush as nobody has them in stock right now. 
i have the 11 paddle talon on my rzr im no where near your power its a stock turbo s motor. took about 4 weeks to get them from skat trak. i was having some issues with turning while dunning just felt like the car did not go where i wanted it to go. dropping the air pressure in the front helped some. guy in our group thought maybe it was the rear paddle making the car want to go straight. being my first rzr i dont have other paddles to compare. the old 08 tyrex had STU paddles and it went exactly where i wanted it to go, but was also much smaller, lighter and way less power

It accelerates pretty hard even with my paddle tires spinning for traction.  I imagine it will throw you in the back of the seat with 12 paddles.  In the dirt coming out of corners it pulls hard. 

One of the best sounding SXS motors was the V-twin they put in the Kawi. With the right exhaust it sounded like a mini V8. 

Can Am motor has a nice tone to it, but when people put the straight pipes it is super loud and hurts the ears.  
i did really like the sound of my old teyrx with a full muzzy exhaust. the sound of the rzr not so much

I've got the 12 paddle Talons on my X3 and I'm happy with them. You're welcome to borrow them for a few hours over Thanksgiving week if you want. 

i have the 11 paddle talon on my rzr im no where near your power its a stock turbo s motor. took about 4 weeks to get them from skat trak. i was having some issues with turning while dunning just felt like the car did not go where i wanted it to go. dropping the air pressure in the front helped some. guy in our group thought maybe it was the rear paddle making the car want to go straight. being my first rzr i dont have other paddles to compare. the old 08 tyrex had STU paddles and it went exactly where i wanted it to go, but was also much smaller, lighter and way less power

i did really like the sound of my old teyrx with a full muzzy exhaust. the sound of the rzr not so much
That is my concern with the Talon paddle is it might want to push the car straight.  The shorter Extreme paddle you can slide the car around.  

I just talked to Skat Trak and I think I will stick with Extreme paddle. 

I've got the 12 paddle Talons on my X3 and I'm happy with them. You're welcome to borrow them for a few hours over Thanksgiving week if you want. 
Thanks.   I might take you up on that. 

Back