Can Am X3 part duex - the build/decorating of the new one

Sand Shark

Reaction score
As many know, I picked up a new 2021 Can Am X3 RR RC (rock crawl 195hp model) back in June.  My prior X3 was totaled out due to some frame breakage.  I have slowly gathering up parts for the new ride.   Last week I picked up a set of S3 Powersports lower a-arms for a smoking deal.  They were used for about 800 miles and was able to get them $200.00.   They look pretty much brand new.  I will likely order up the matching upper arms, although the stock arms were never a issue.  I have my Super ATV arms from my prior car which I will put on the new car.   Over the 4th of July weekend TMW was having a sale so I order their gusset kit, radius rod plate and a new bumper that fits the winch that comes with the car.  I have a new cage, spare tires carrier and doors on order from Fabwerx, but won't be seeing that for several months, which is fine as I do not have any trips planned this summer.  

I will be taking my shocks over to Tom Morris at UTV Shocks for his latest and greatest shock set up.  I talk to him last month and we have a game plan on getting my shocks set up for the way I like to drive. 

Still debating on selling my current Rugged Radio/Intercom set up (60watt white radio and 660 intercom) and giving PCI a try.   Also considering selling my Rugged air set up and going a different direction.  Also think I want to go with a bigger Lowrance GPS unit.  My Elite5ti is good, but bigger unit would be nice.  If anyone is interested let me know and maybe we can make a deal.

My kid has gotten into RC racing and damn it if that hobby is not just as bad as owning a SXS.  Went from one 1/0th scale truck to a 1/10th scale 4wd buggy and two 1/8 scale 4wd buggies.   Needless to say, Over the next few months I will be taking my sweet time tearing the Can Am apart to put on the new parts.  LOL!

First order of business was removing the red rear fender deflectors and replace them with black ones.  The red never looked right and they are a cheap part to replace.  A quick order through Rocky Mountain ATV and the new black ones were at my doorstep in a few days.  I like the black much better.   

can am part 1.jpg

can am part 2.jpg

I will be powder coating the beadlock rings to match the red/orange color on the car and the red anodized part either black or the same color as the beadlock rings.

The a-arms I picked up are really beefy and in great shape.   

can am part 5.jpg

can am part 6.jpg

New bumper is very stout.  Not sure yet if I am going to leave it black or have it powder coated to match the red.  TMW forgot to mail the end caps and one other piece with the bumper.  Called them up and they are shipping me the missing parts. 

I will be putting 3 Baja Design XL80s on the bumper.   The 2021 RR models comes with a bigger stator (850 watts).  So I will have plenty of power for my lights. 

Can am part 3.jpg

can am part 4.jpg

Shocks set up the way you like to drive?  You mean hammering the skid plate at every bump, LOL.

Shocks set up the way you like to drive?  You mean hammering the skid plate at every bump, LOL.
LOL!  I don't like to lift what can I say.  Funny thing most of those taps in the sand I did not feel.

I have seen your sandrail leave some divots in the sand when you lead.   

New set up should be much better.  

Last edited by a moderator:
I decided to get matching upper a-arms.  So I ordered some S3 Powersports upper a-arms.  They arrived yesterday.  Much like the lowers they are very stout and I should have not worries with the a-arms.   I am sticking with stock ball joints as they were never an issue for me on my last X3. 

I will start installing everything in the next few weeks. 

upper aarm 1.jpg

upper aarm 2.jpg

upper aarm 3.jpg

upper aarm 4.jpg

The car is on jack stands and will be there for a little bit.   Took the shocks off and dropped them off for Tom Morris (UTV Shocks) to do his magic.  He has a new set up and can't wait to test it out. 

shock1.jpg

shock 2.jpg

shock3.jpg

How backed up with work is Tom these days? Gary still his partner? 

did you source the springs or get them from Tom? 

what did you decide on for bushings? 
i went with super Dave’s on my ct race works arms and they’ve held up great 

How backed up with work is Tom these days? Gary still his partner? 

did you source the springs or get them from Tom? 

what did you decide on for bushings? 
i went with super Dave’s on my ct race works arms and they’ve held up great 
I was going to wait a little longer, but when I talk to him he said to get them in now.  He had some military work coming up next month that would put into September if I waited.  By September he will get the mad rush of people getting ready for desert/dune season.   As far as I know Gary is still his partner.  Gary is retired so I think he will do some shock stuff if your in Lake Havasu.

Tom did not say anything about issues with getting springs.  I assume he has a stock pile of them. 

Have not decided on which bushings.  Might go with what S3 uses or Sandcraft.  

I’ve had great luck with Garage Products bushings. He only shows bushings for stock suspension arms on his site, but he has told me he makes bushings for aftermarket arms. He just needs to know the specs, if he has not already made some for that brand. What brand does S3 use? Or do they make their own? 

Sand Shark, Honestly how much money in upgrades do you think you will have in your new car when your all done? Including parts transferred from your old car too. This is not a Speed UTV comparison question, because upgrades/accessories will get added to those to. The reason I ask is one of my neighbors has the X3 max, he’s the one I’ve mentioned about finding cracks. He figures he’s put $16-18k in upgrades/accessories in his car. It’s a real nice car, but I was surprised he’s put that much in it.

I’ve had great luck with Garage Products bushings. He only shows bushings for stock suspension arms on his site, but he has told me he makes bushings for aftermarket arms. He just needs to know the specs, if he has not already made some for that brand. What brand does S3 use? Or do they make their own? 

Sand Shark, Honestly how much money in upgrades do you think you will have in your new car when your all done? Including parts transferred from your old car too. This is not a Speed UTV comparison question, because upgrades/accessories will get added to those to. The reason I ask is one of my neighbors has the X3 max, he’s the one I’ve mentioned about finding cracks. He figures he’s put $16-18k in upgrades/accessories in his car. It’s a real nice car, but I was surprised he’s put that much in it.
S3 makes there own bushings or has someone make them for them. I will be giving Garage Products a call to see if they make them for the S3 arms.  I have friends that use there bushings with good results. 

I will not be anywhere near $16-18K into my car.  Sounds like your friend paid full retail and a lot in labor chargers.

This new car I am going a little nuts with the cage (doors, window nets, roof rack, and spare tire carrier) and that will be the biggest cost. Second biggest cost is the shock work.   I would guess if you tallied up it would be in the $6K range or more.  It is hard to calculate as there is stuff on the new car I do not need and will be selling to off-set the cost.  

S3 makes there own bushings or has someone make them for them. I will be giving Garage Products a call to see if they make them for the S3 arms.  I have friends that use there bushings with good results. 

I will not be anywhere near $16-18K into my car.  Sounds like your friend paid full retail and a lot in labor chargers.

This new car I am going a little nuts with the cage (doors, window nets, roof rack, and spare tire carrier) and that will be the biggest cost. Second biggest cost is the shock work.   I would guess if you tallied up it would be in the $6K range or more.  It is hard to calculate as there is stuff on the new car I do not need and will be selling to off-set the cost.  
6k is not bad at all. I figured your close to that with just the Fabwerx’s cage part. 

The neighbor with the X3 Max, I don’t know how much of the work he did? I see him work on it so I assume must of done some of it. But is got the cage, bumpers, doors, spare tire rack. 33 Tensors &  Wheels, seats & belts. The suspension arms look aftermarket, but I don’t know what brand? He did tell me he had the S3 weld in kit put in when he started finding cracks. He’s got Shock Therapy shocks & “stuff”. Not sure what radio, but his GPS has the be the 12. It’s huge! 

6k is not bad at all. I figured your close to that with just the Fabwerx’s cage part. 

The neighbor with the X3 Max, I don’t know how much of the work he did? I see him work on it so I assume must of done some of it. But is got the cage, bumpers, doors, spare tire rack. 33 Tensors &  Wheels, seats & belts. The suspension arms look aftermarket, but I don’t know what brand? He did tell me he had the S3 weld in kit put in when he started finding cracks. He’s got Shock Therapy shocks & “stuff”. Not sure what radio, but his GPS has the be the 12. It’s huge! 
It does add up quickly.  Especially on a 4 seater when you have to buy 2 more seats and 2 more doors. 

Fabwerx cage is a lot more reasonably priced than people think.   He has always given me very fair prices.   The 9" Lowrance would be fine for me.   My friend has 12" screen GPS, my eyes are not that bad yet.  LOL!

S3 makes some nice weld in gussets.    I saw the other day that Phil Blurton races his Can Am with stock trailing arms with his weld on gussets. 

Last edited by a moderator:

$6K I will be that deep in mine before the first dune trip. No cage, No seats.

Almost $2K in tick tack stuff so far easy. Mirrors, Misc Hangers(Helmet, Flag,Antenna), Four Point Belts, Bags, Chase bar, pumper and helmet, lower doors and the mount for the radio I switched over.

over $2K in paddles and rims, what a joy it was trying to find rims let me tell you.  Plus I hope my name gets to the top of the paddle list before October comes around.

Next up is the gusset kit and double shear stuff for the back, so that will be another $1K installed

and last will be the suspension work by MTS.

Better stop typing and get to work need more money and time in a hurry.

Back