Can Am - crack brat to respectable stripper

Have any wider pictures of the cracked areas?  Would like to see if we can address on ours ahead of time with additional gusseting or whatever.

Here’s a picture of someone else’s car. Not being a jerk but I’d say gusset the whole damn thing. Or drive very cautiously. Some scary materials used on these things. 

BB4E997D-AF0C-4B9F-BC1D-298C6A9A9410.png

Have any wider pictures of the cracked areas?  Would like to see if we can address on ours ahead of time with additional gusseting or whatever.
I don't have any wider pictures.   It was the two upper down tubes going to the rear and they broke right in the middle.  There were some thin gussets on the sides that could probably be beefed up that would help some.

To prevent the cracks where the rear swaybar connects to the frame the ZRP trailing arm braces will help stop that or you could cut some 2" tubing with the correct inside diameter and weld it around that area to beef it up.  

crack 4_LI.jpg

I don't have any wider pictures.   It was the two upper down tubes going to the rear and they broke right in the middle.  There were some thin gussets on the sides that could probably be beefed up that would help some.

To prevent the cracks where the rear swaybar connects to the frame the ZRP trailing arm braces will help stop that or you could cut some 2" tubing with the correct inside diameter and weld it around that area to beef it up.  

View attachment 7327
Derp: the original orientation made it perplexing for some reason...

Here’s a picture of someone else’s car. Not being a jerk but I’d say gusset the whole damn thing. Or drive very cautiously. Some scary materials used on these things. 

View attachment 7308
You do know that X3 was in a major accident involving multiple rollovers down a really large hill?   Where that frame broke is an anomaly.  The is no doubt the material used is thin walled and thicker material should be used.  

I am very familiar with the X3 and what needs to be addressed.  

We shall see how the Speed UTV holds up once the customers get them and start crashing them.  

Derp: the original orientation made it perplexing for some reason...
I rotated the picture, but when it posted it went back.  This time I rotated the picture and made sure it was saved before posting.  LOL!

You do know that X3 was in a major accident involving multiple rollovers down a really large hill?   Where that frame broke is an anomaly.  The is no doubt the material used is thin walled and thicker material should be used.  

I am very familiar with the X3 and what needs to be addressed.  

We shall see how the Speed UTV holds up once the customers get them and start crashing them.  
I’m sure it was a bad user error. I’d just be overly concerned if my loved ones or friends were in such a vehicle with such thin walled tubing is all. Crap happens unexpectedly in this sport.  So any help you can give to the next guy regarding gusset areas would be tremendously appreciated no doubt and I’d hope they implement your suggestions. Not my intention to make this into an RG debate/comparison. Just remembered seeing the picture posted above on one of his presentations and was in shock. That’s why I said gusset everything or in other words everything that is known  to fail. 

I’m sure it was a bad user error. I’d just be overly concerned if my loved ones or friends were in such a vehicle with such thin walled tubing is all. Crap happens unexpectedly in this sport.  So any help you can give to the next guy regarding gusset areas would be tremendously appreciated no doubt and I’d hope they implement your suggestions. Not my intention to make this into an RG debate/comparison. Just remembered seeing the picture posted above on one of his presentations and was in shock. That’s why I said gusset everything or in other words everything that is known  to fail. 
That X3 was in bad shape and I do not recall seeing one break the frame like that one.   I have seen the aftermath of multiple rolls on several X3s and usually the only thing bent was a radius rod or a-arm. 

Imagine what could have happened if you had no warning about all of the cracks in your frame and you were following someone at full speed through the dunes or down Olds. The ensuing rapid disassembly might have looked like a plane crash and made that wreck look like a minor accident in comparison. I wouldn't want you to get hurt! Even if you can't tell good chassis design or double shear mounts. It shouldn't cost you your life.

A long time ago, (about 2004 or 2005) we were duning with a guy who had an old VW powered standard travel sand rail built from mild steel. We were on a break and someone noticed he had a broken roof tube. The whole group started inspecting his exposed frame and we found 53 broken tubes and cracked tubes and welds on that thing. We marked them all with tape and he took it over to one of the vendors and got it all welded up. That got him through one or two more trips before he finally had to scrap that frame. That convinced me that mild steel just wasn't strong enough, especially if the chassis is built without enough triangulation.

Probably a yr later, two guys were in another VW powered sand rail and the owner converted it over from beam front end to a-arm. The problem is, the guy used super thin tubing and the arms were way too long. Sure enough, he tried a little jump, the arms folded like paper and they ended up upside down in the sand with no roof. The sand kept covering their faces faster than they could dig it away and neither were trying to unbuckle. I got all of the closest guys to help flip the rail back over and they survived. I learned about weak suspension and having a roof from that one. 

I guess my point is my safety concerns come from seeing a lot of bad things happen to people who kept thinking there was nothing wrong with their chassis or suspension design, so now I tend to want everything built like the Geiser Bros. built it!

:lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Imagine what could have happened if you had no warning about all of the cracks in your frame and you were following someone at full speed through the dunes or down Olds. The ensuing rapid disassembly might have looked like a plane crash and made that wreck look like a minor accident in comparison. I wouldn't want you to get hurt! Even if you can't tell good chassis design or double shear mounts. It shouldn't cost you your life.

A long time ago, (about 2004 or 2005) we were duning with a guy who had an old VW powered standard travel sand rail built from mild steel. We were on a break and someone noticed he had a broken roof tube. The whole group started inspecting his exposed frame and we found 53 broken tubes and cracked tubes and welds on that thing. We marked them all with tape and he took it over to one of the vendors and got it all welded up. That got him through one or two more trips before he finally had to scrap that frame. That convinced me that mild steel just wasn't strong enough, especially if the chassis is built without enough triangulation.

Probably a yr later, two guys were in another VW powered sand rail and the owner converted it over from beam front end to a-arm. The problem is, the guy used super thin tubing and the arms were way too long. Sure enough, he tried a little jump, the arms folded like paper and they ended up upside down in the sand with no roof. The sand kept covering their faces faster than they could dig it away and neither were trying to unbuckle. I got all of the closest guys to help flip the rail back over and they survived. I learned about weak suspension and having a roof from that one. 

I guess my point is my safety concerns come from seeing a lot of bad things happen to people who kept thinking there was nothing wrong with their chassis or suspension design, so now I tend to want everything built like the Geiser Bros. built it!

:lol:
I would take an Awd Mason truck these days.  Much better set up.  LOL!     

Those old beam cars were prone to frame cracks.  Built to be light due to the lack of hp.   Growing up my dad had several 2 seat mid-engine rails.  The ones with NOS were a lot of fun.  

I guess you would never drive a McLaren.  They explode into a lot of pieces when they crash. 

A gusset kit in the front gets you double shear mounting.

https://tmwoffroad.com/collections/canam/products/x3-bulk-head-gusset-kit

Shock tower brace adds even more support and double shear mounting.

https://tmwoffroad.com/collections/canam/products/x3-pro-series-shock-tower-support

Doggy, 

Dont get your panties in a wad! 

I thought what I said was very nice. I thought the RC was a great choice.  Asked about a frame swap. Was happy he found one with the inventory shortage, and I look forward to seeing him spend more money making it his own. 

If I said something else that you took as crap! Then just look at it as I’m crashing the party and stirring the Sh!t pot like Sand Shark does in both the original and current Speed threads. It’s not like I’m proposing we get to 200 pages for all the fixes that is needed to make the X3 better. 

Your right it will probably take me till 2025 to put 8K miles on my UTV. When I get there I’ll let you know what I think. 
Nikal, can we get a speed UTV update? Show some love buddy!😁

Back