Any Late Model Bronco Guru’s Here?

I have 2-door, we bought it to tow behind the motorhome (haven't done it yet). I got every option I could get, over priced but its a fun little car. Took it out to Landers New Years (big bronco was down) and I was amazed at how well it drove. I put it in Baja mode and it ripped for a stock vehicle. I have a hard top and there is wind noise for sure, you get a lot of road noise compared to F150. The power is really good, it scoots especially in sport mode. My wife loves driving it to the store because its so easy to park. Check out the APG fenders and mid-travel, its not cheap but super nice stuff. 
Do you have the 2.7? Or is it a Raptor with the 3.0? 

I don't really like the idea of going with a pickup. I already have an F-350 for towing so seems silly to get another truck. But I'm not going to haul around the F-350

MY Son in law tows his colorado 4 down.  my neighbor got the hybrid jeep....He says it rips......He races off road so he's not a mall cruiser. He said the hybrid is actually quicker than the 392. 

Colorado pics above is the old body style...the new GMC canyon's and Colorado's look a lot nicer, not sure they can tow 4 down tho?  The new 2 door Broco's sure look cool...they win on looks.

View attachment 92310
They still have a real t-case with N, so I don't see why they wouldn't be able to tow 4-down...

-TJ

Early current gen Broncos had issues with cam phasers and some other major issues, so I'd avoid those.

Test drive one for the wind noise, it's not much different than a JL.

Tie rods can be fixed in the aftermarket, or just don't expect it to push away from a rock with just the steering and the front diff locked.

Early current gen Broncos had issues with cam phasers and some other major issues, so I'd avoid those.

Test drive one for the wind noise, it's not much different than a JL.

Tie rods can be fixed in the aftermarket, or just don't expect it to push away from a rock with just the steering and the front diff locked.
Awwww shut it f3rd boi!  J/k, honestly the Broncos are rad and with that advice in mind I would probably recommend one over a JL to anybody doing 95% street and 5% off road, or even doing a lot of off road but not any rock crawling type stuff, just soft-roading.

-TJ

Awwww shut it f3rd boi!  J/k, honestly the Broncos are rad and with that advice in mind I would probably recommend one over a JL to anybody doing 95% street and 5% off road, or even doing a lot of off road but not any rock crawling type stuff, just soft-roading.

-TJ
JL with a cheap lift and 35s will do all the big bear trails. 

JL with a cheap lift and 35s will do all the big bear trails. 
For sure, JLs are the cheat code for actual wheeling.  I have a really built WJ, and a relatively built XJ... but I could go get a JL and do the Mopar 2" and 35"s (well, I'd do 37"s) and do just as much or more than either.  I just didn't get the sense that's what the OP actually wants to do.  More a TOAD that drives nice on the street but can do some trail stuff.

-TJ

Do you have the 2.7? Or is it a Raptor with the 3.0? 

I don't really like the idea of going with a pickup. I already have an F-350 for towing so seems silly to get another truck. But I'm not going to haul around the F-350
2.7 the raptor only comes as a 4 door

I also discovered you have to have the LUX Package to get adaptive cruise which is a must as far as I'm concerned. You get a few other goodies like an upgraded stereo w/sub but I would want the adaptive cruise for sure. 

I was lusting after a 2 door bronco last year for the explicit purpose of using as a TOAD and to have an excuse to get a cool daily/occasional trail machine.

I read some horror stories regarding the t case coming out of neutral mid tow and cooking the trans. Mind you I would have gotten a manual bronco BUT I was still leery of the electronic case not doing what it was commanded to do. Loss of battery voltage while towing seems to have been an issue. I even read that now ford has suspended the flat tow recommendation on current production models while a software update is made to address the issues.

not to mention I am not of the baller status as some of the members on this thread and could not swallow the added mark up the dealers were demanding at the time.

Ended up getting a used 2 door JK. Has a “fool proof” manual t case and I’m not worried about scratching it in the bushes and not scared to take it in the rocks. Yes there’s wind noise and road noise and all that comes with a Jeep (or bronco)

I have a 22 Bronco Wildtrak 4 door hardtop as my "daily driver" and love it. I bought it to flat tow behind the MoHo because it is flat tow capable. At first I was undecided between a Jeep Rubicon and the Bronco Badlands Sasquatch or the Wildtrak Sasquatch but I think I made the right choice for my needs. I just got back from Glamis and used it to tow my flatbed trailer and sandcar for the quick day trip and it had no problem towing. I would advise that you go with the hardtop option, It is quieter and less wind noise. I have not had any issues and I feel I can take it anywhere and it is a very capable machine out the box.

400432935_10226985704650533_8925092037833071638_n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a 22 Bronco Wildtrak 4 door hardtop as my "daily driver" and love it. I bought it to flat tow behind the MoHo because it is flat tow capable. At first I was undecided between a Jeep Rubicon and the Bronco Badlands Sasquatch or the Wildtrak Sasquatch but I think I made the right choice for my needs. I just got back from Glamis and used it to tow my flatbed trailer and sandcar for the quick day trip and it had no problem towing. I would advise that you go with the hardtop option, It is quieter and less wind noise. I have not had any issues and I feel I can take it anywhere and it is a very capable machine out the box.

View attachment 92774
Excellent feedback, thanks for input. I would only go with a hard top and 4 door if I get one. I did some videos of broken tie rods but I doubt I will off road it much. And those can be upgraded with aftermarket parts. I likely wouldn’t tow much but nice to see it has some capability if I need it. 

Excellent feedback, thanks for input. I would only go with a hard top and 4 door if I get one. I did some videos of broken tie rods but I doubt I will off road it much. And those can be upgraded with aftermarket parts. I likely wouldn’t tow much but nice to see it has some capability if I need it. 
The broken tie rod issue is not as common as it seems. The ones that have broken them are mainly rock crawling and binding it on rocks or in some kind of accident. For daily driving IFS suspension is a lot better than straight axle and I don't see a tie rod breaking being an issue for you but if in doubt just get the Ford Performance tie rods or the aftermarket sleeve they sell. I am on stock tie rods and 10K miles and no issues with them and no play in the steering.

If you are going to use as a daily driver, I would go the Bronco over a jeep every day.  The options you get in the Bronco are amazing (adaptive Cruise Control is a game changer for me), of course you pay for it asl well.  Dealers are now selling for MSRP, hit them up at end of the month.

Now if you want a pure TOAD off road vehicle, go with a jeep.  FYI, Jeepers are very loyal and don't like other brands.....haha

I'm a Jeep guy because I'm cheap and buy old Grands to use off road. That said, there is no comparing the street manners of IFS so if it's not going to be used primarily for off road, get the Bronco. I flat tow a '00 WJ Grand and a '21 WK2 Grand depending on the destination and both tow great. The '00 has roughly 3" of lift on 31s and driving it on the street, it does the Jeep thing and wanders all over the place but is awesome off pavement. The '21 is obviously the opposite being fully independent suspension; absolutely kills miles on the pavement and is stupid comfortable and while can go off pavement, it's way rougher of a ride and doesn't flex for anything. If I ever can snag a late-er model ZR2 S10 Blazer with the correct t-case for the right price I'll be ditching the solid axle WJ quick style.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm finding some concern about flat towing the Broncos. With the electronic T-case, apparently the darn thing defaults to in gear if battery drops too low. There are a number of cases where this happened and the dang things burn up getting dragged behind a Moho. Yes, you can install a charge wire from the Moho to help prevent this but still, chit happens. I guess there is something to be said for the good old manual T-case.  

Here is my 22

kings and 37 beadlocks

2.7 base sasquatch

coming from 1 TJ, 3 JK, and 1 JL here is my take

if you or your wife plan on driving it primarily on the street and shred the dirt every now and again bronco is for you. It decent on the rocks but if you primarily rock crawl you need mods.

we got the soft top because it was a 3rd vehicle hence the base Sasquatch. It was loud inside 37’s do t help but not a business call vehicle.

it rides, tracks and steers  100% better than a Jeep. Power with TT 2.7 rips it’s actually quick. Hills with big tires do t phase it whatsoever.

just my .02 cents 

Towed it all over the states behind motorhome super easy

IMG_5382.jpeg

I'm finding some concern about flat towing the Broncos. With the electronic T-case, apparently the darn thing defaults to in gear if battery drops too low. There are a number of cases where this happened and the dang things burn up getting dragged behind a Moho. Yes, you can install a charge wire from the Moho to help prevent this but still, chit happens. I guess there is something to be said for the good old manual T-case.  
Before the update. That problem is gone I towed mine all over the country zero issues

Before the update. That problem is gone I towed mine all over the country zero issues
Great input and beautiful Bronco -  thank you! Someone on the Renegade Moho forum I’m on also mentioned the software update and that there are two fuses you can pull to ensure 100% no issues when flat towing. I would go with a hard top and maybe a bit less aggressive tire to help reduce noise. If I decide this will also be my daily driver I will go minimum Wildtrak with Lux package. I would want the adaptive cruise and better sound system. And yes, if it’s my daily driver I need to be able to make calls while on the road. Obviously if I just get one for a TOAD behind the Moho then that would change things and I could go with reduced options. Off roading would be pretty limited to occasional trails or when there is snow. Unlikely I would do any real rock crawling. 

Back