$40k in toll violations..................

John@Outfront

Forum Moderator
Reaction score
my buddies wife has a car that she racked up $40k in toll violations and they obviously will not register the car until they are paid off (California)  so do you know if the car is registered in another state, say Utah if those just drop off ?(non reciprocating states) or how could he find out the answer

Seriously, asking for a friend

Hard to believe the state of California is going to let this go. I've been sent expired registration notices for dirt bikes and quads I sold 10+ years ago, some going out of state and have been registered. CA threatened to suspended my CDL at one point. I think I've cleared a most up, haven't seen a notice in a few years.

CA will not let this go! First, she won’t be able to renew her driver’s license. Then they will go after her car insurance, get it canceled. Then they will go after her taxes, no more refunds until it’s paid off. If she owns property in CA they can go after that too. They will possibly get a warrant for her arrest too. It’s not good, better to sit down and negotiate a settlement.

CA will not let this go! First, she won’t be able to renew her driver’s license. Then they will go after her car insurance, get it canceled. Then they will go after her taxes, no more refunds until it’s paid off. If she owns property in CA they can go after that too. They will possibly get a warrant for her arrest too. It’s not good, better to sit down and negotiate a settlement.
Truth right here, find a way to get a settlement. 

I'm more interested in how it reached that amount...

He said crazy penalties. @$3 fine goes to $300 for lack of payment

He said crazy penalties. @$3 fine goes to $300 for lack of payment
It's true.  I had a flatbed registered in my business name that was sold to a guy who never put it in his name and I recieved a $4 toll violation in the mail from Orange County.  I called and explained I didn't own the trailer and they didn't care.  She suggested I just send in the $4 to clear it up.  I refused on principal.  Got a second notice a few months later for $4 toll and $400 penalty.  Called and got someone helpful on the phone that was able to tell me the license plate of the tow vehicle, which was not registered to me.  She was able to excuse the whole thing.  I got nother toll violation in the mail a few months later.  This time I just paid the $4 to make it go away.  Eventually I'll run into the buyer of this trailer and we'll have a chat.

This type of crap drives me crazy..yet a scumbag can rob,rape and pillage and be out on bail in a few hours….and possibly no charges. 
But how do you not get the notices in the mail,unless the registration address was somewhere else. Or not know your driving on a toll lane? $40k in toll fees is quit a few times in those lanes…lol 

This type of crap drives me crazy..yet a scumbag can rob,rape and pillage and be out on bail in a few hours….and possibly no charges. 
But how do you not get the notices in the mail,unless the registration address was somewhere else. Or not know your driving on a toll lane? $40k in toll fees is quit a few times in those lanes…lol 
if it jumps from $4 to $400 for non-payment, that's about 100 trips through the toll lanes. I do that in 3 months :dunno:  I understand the part about not knowing though, you'd have to be completely cluless

Last edited by a moderator:
It's true.  I had a flatbed registered in my business name that was sold to a guy who never put it in his name and I recieved a $4 toll violation in the mail from Orange County.  I called and explained I didn't own the trailer and they didn't care.  She suggested I just send in the $4 to clear it up.  I refused on principal.  Got a second notice a few months later for $4 toll and $400 penalty.  Called and got someone helpful on the phone that was able to tell me the license plate of the tow vehicle, which was not registered to me.  She was able to excuse the whole thing.  I got nother toll violation in the mail a few months later.  This time I just paid the $4 to make it go away.  Eventually I'll run into the buyer of this trailer and we'll have a chat.
This is why it is important to fill out the Release of Liability and send it to the DMV or AAA when you sell a vehicle/trailer. It prevents this problem.

This is why it is important to fill out the Release of Liability and send it to the DMV or AAA when you sell a vehicle/trailer. It prevents this problem.
ROL means exactly DIK in this state... I have done it every time and still get those BS notices. I once had Homeland show up on my door step about a car I sold, then got traded in afterwards by the buyer. Apparently it went to auction and was then used for a Coyote's runs. They didn't give 2 shits about that paperwork or that I had filled it out online and dropped a hard copy off @ the DMV. I think that ROL box in the front gets dumped in the garbage each day instead of being processed.

Last edited by a moderator:
I do that every time. Mailing it to the DMV is pointless, I've had good luck walking it I to AAA so that's the only way I do it now. I also make a copy and file it in my DMV folder.

She knew she was doing it. Didn’t care. It’s registered in my friends name and the car just sits in his driveway but it’s been there for years. None of those fines or encumbrances have happened to him. He just doesn’t know how to get rid of it

Said last ticket was like 5-6 years ago. No repercussions to date

Might as well take the car to the DMV and say here you go.

I do that every time. Mailing it to the DMV is pointless, I've had good luck walking it I to AAA so that's the only way I do it now. I also make a copy and file it in my DMV folder.
I do the same thing AND fill out the one online and staple them together with the exact same info. Other than going to the DMV with the new buyer and witnessing it get taken out of your name there is nothing more you can do.

The state will drive you nuts with those notices....Its a nightmare.  If I ever leave the state I am keeping all my offroad vehicles titled in CA and changing the address out of state. Wash 11 did that . He had CA registrations on his OHVs / ATC 70s with an AZ address.

Its horrible trying to keep the registrations all straight. I keep a book in the moho thats all up to date.

:poule:

Back