2021 Can am clutch whine

Good luck SandTrap.

Let's hope 2022 is a better year for Can Am with their new clutch and stronger frame.  This may be the year I decide to sell my older model and buy a 2022 X3 DS RR.

Hope they have this figured out for you Wes, shame it has taken all the excitement out of a new purchase to go through  this mess...

I got the Car back. Too Hot right now too currently go test. The service manager said told me if this Clutch doesnt work and solve this issue then major repairs will be made. I told him I dont want the motor pulled apart at his shop and I would only accept a totally brand new long block if it comes to that and He agreed that would be a better option but he also said that is up to the Factory.He said they have been Hot lapping the car around their building over and over and seems ok but we will see

Good to hear. Strange the dealer submitted to Can Am that it needs a new crank, yet settled on just replacing the primary and returning it to you. Did the dealer ever say what they found wrong with the crankshaft and why they wanted to replace it? Out of true? Pulled threads the CVT bolts too? 

Can Am & the dealers handing of this whole thing is strange. For your sake I hope the new primary solves the issue. But would still be concerned on the crankshaft and what they think is wrong with it? 

If you have not bought an extended warranty from Can Am, I’d look into it, or maybe request Can Am give you an extended warranty. 

Last edited by a moderator:
request Can Am give you an extended warranty. 
I would say this is appropriate under the circumstances, if the new clutch worksthere has to be some reason they said the crank needed replaced you know @SandTrap inquiring minds want to know.

Ok so to answer the Crank question I will tell you what the Dealer told me. He said they want to put a new crank because the Primary wouldnt stay tight to the crank. That they said it should be Pressed on and My primary they could just pull of.

Well of course all they did was replace the Primary clutch and I went and put about 20 miles on it today "which is double what I have been able to in all this time" Everything at this point seems Fine. No noise shifts smoothly as it should and so on. The Factory told me they will be in contact to adjust the warranty. I hope that is true. The dealer told me if this doesnt fix it and if it comes back again for the same issue it will be getting MAJOR repair

Did the new Primary have to be pressed on or did it slip on? If two primaries just slip on & off, then I’d think it’s a crank issue. But if the new primary was tight going on, then maybe it was just a bad primary casting. 

I hope it’s fixed for you and you see 1000’s of fun miles on your new toy. 

But I’m still really bummed to hear how BRP handled this. 

Did the new Primary have to be pressed on or did it slip on? If two primaries just slip on & off, then I’d think it’s a crank issue. But if the new primary was tight going on, then maybe it was just a bad primary casting. 

I hope it’s fixed for you and you see 1000’s of fun miles on your new toy. 

But I’m still really bummed to hear how BRP handled this. 
I didnt ask how it was installed all I know is they said they triple checked it and it was good as far as they could see. I did ask them when they said it would be Major work if this didnt fix it that why they wouldnt just send a New Longblock? The dealer said its 100 percent up too what BRP thinks is most cost effective. I said to the service manager again there is NO WAY you are pulling the engine apart to do a new crankshaft. He agreed that a totally NEW longblock would be faster and easier if it came to that but said again it up to BRP..

If they give you the run around again Wes, I have a weekend to camp outside that dealership with a sign about how the effed you.. With all the people you know, I have a feeling it would be a good size crowd they would not want out front of there business along with a onslaught from all the online off road pages. I am sure it would tip the needle in your direction.

I am picking it up Tomorrow with New Primary clutch so we will see Fingers crossed it works
I would run your car around the dealer parking lot, if there is room or down the street by the dealer if possible.  Then have them check the bolt in front of you.  

As stated make sure they put a new primary bolt in it.  I hope they threw a new belt on your car a well.  

I would run your car around the dealer parking lot, if there is room or down the street by the dealer if possible.  Then have them check the bolt in front of you.  

As stated make sure they put a new primary bolt in it.  I hope they threw a new belt on your car a well.  
Yes it got a new washer and bolt and Bearing and seal and Primary and a New Belt

Good to hear that they got it resolved. Crossing my fingers that it stays together for you once you hit the sand. 

Back