2021 Can am clutch whine

SandTrap

Reaction score
I posted this same thing on the Maverick forum but I wanna ask Y'all as well.

I bought a brand new 2021 X3 RR.. Got it home went for an easy break in the Belt cruise and after a mile stopped and noticed a whine from the clutch area while in Park and Neutral. Shifts into High or reverse with a clunk when making this Noise. I took it back to the dealer "only 2 miles" on it and said the hard shifting and the noise. They called me a few days later saying the bolt on the Primary wasnt torqued right and now its fine. Ok so I went picked it up no noise shifts like butter. I take it out this morning everything is great stop after a mile or so let it cool down like I said running heat cycles thru the belt to break it in. start it back up everything is great shifts smooth drive it back home about a mile come to my driveway put it back into Park and there it is again the clutch whine is back and Hard shifting into Gear with a clunk. This car has Barely over 3 miles on it and Now gonna have to take it back to the dealer AGAIN next weekend.

Its an hour each way to the dealer and I have gone 3 weeks in a row now and this is getting old. I told the guy I think its spinning the secondary in park and Neutral but they looked at me is disbelief. Hopefully they listen this time.

Very discouraged as I had the choice to buy this car or a Talon and picked this car and maybe I should of bought the Talon at this point.

I would be pissed, wishing the best oldtimer

Once you get this resolved you will love the car. Hang in there.

There was another thread in the other side by side section and was having the same issues your having, plus idle issues. Then I realized it was your thread. 

So what’s the idle issue? Did they find any issues there? 

Before driving another 2 hours drive, I’d pull the clutch cover and check the torque on the secondary bolt. If loose then you know somethings going on there. If not, then it’s not what they thought it was and you have another clutch issue. 

Sometimes you have to help these tech’s along. 

Open up the clutch cover and check to see if the primary bolt is lose again.   My bet is the dealer did not torque it to spec.  Also you have to check the bolt after a few miles and torque to spec as they will loosen sometimes after you install them.   If the bolt is loose pull it out and check to make sure the threads are not stretched.  

If it makes you feel better on my 2018 it was at the dealer 3 times within 100 miles due to them putting the white paste all over my spark plugs.  Also the bearing in the primary clutch was bad.  

Good luck buddy. 
I hope you get it all ironed out before the season starts. 
I want rip some dunes with you. 

Its Back at the dealer. The dealer doesnt want ME for any reason to mess with it since it has hardly any Miles on it. I explained to them what it is doing I showed them in Person what it is doing I went straight to the salesperson he said they will make it right?? He then asked if I had contacted Can am I said No not Yet as I am trying to be nice here but 50 bucks a weekend in Diesel fuel just to go to the dealership is BS. I am frustrated and Pretty much sitting alone here at Home last night decided if They dont get it right "or what I think is right" Its going up for sale. I am done spending 200 bucks a month in fuel to NOT use this thing. It has zero time on it and is brand new. I even told the Guy Look at it.. It hasnt even been washed and still looks exactly like I bought it.

Its Back at the dealer. The dealer doesnt want ME for any reason to mess with it since it has hardly any Miles on it. I explained to them what it is doing I showed them in Person what it is doing I went straight to the salesperson he said they will make it right?? He then asked if I had contacted Can am I said No not Yet as I am trying to be nice here but 50 bucks a weekend in Diesel fuel just to go to the dealership is BS. I am frustrated and Pretty much sitting alone here at Home last night decided if They dont get it right "or what I think is right" Its going up for sale. I am done spending 200 bucks a month in fuel to NOT use this thing. It has zero time on it and is brand new. I even told the Guy Look at it.. It hasnt even been washed and still looks exactly like I bought it.
Frustrating for sure.  Sounds like the dealer is trying to fix it and make it right.  You should tell the dealer to deliver it to you once it is fixed. 

I think they are trying Honestly. Or I would like to believe they are. Everything has been documented and the salesperson and the service manager and Tech that worked on it all have been noted. Maybe the issue is something they dont know how to fix or capable I dont know at this point.

I think they are trying Honestly. Or I would like to believe they are. Everything has been documented and the salesperson and the service manager and Tech that worked on it all have been noted. Maybe the issue is something they dont know how to fix or capable I dont know at this point.
Frustrating for sure. Everything is fixable. Have you poked around in the Can Am forums? Probably been discussed before. Have you asked them if they can put a complete new clutch and belt in? Especially now that you have had to bring it back and it is not fixed. Good idea from Sand Shark to ask them to deliver the car, although they may not want to do it. 

Frustrating for sure. Everything is fixable. Have you poked around in the Can Am forums? Probably been discussed before. Have you asked them if they can put a complete new clutch and belt in? Especially now that you have had to bring it back and it is not fixed. Good idea from Sand Shark to ask them to deliver the car, although they may not want to do it. 
I have gone into the Maverick forums. Pretty much everyone is saying the same thing is the Primary is not totally releasing which is dragging the Belt which is spinning the secondary. I explained this to the dealer that if the secondary is spinning it will make it very tough to shift and then grind and slam into Gear without touching the throttle at all.Their first thought was the Bolt on the Primary wasnt torqued right. The first time the said they tightened it and everything worked Great No Noise No grind shifted Perfect for probably 4 miles. These were easy miles also as I am trying to run heat cycles on the belt so all flat and still in Eco mode. After that 4 miles it started doing the samething again. Some people are like well the primary is dirty but it only has 15-20 miles on the car never driven behind anyone or anything. Another opinion was the bolt they "retorqued" on the primary maybe the threads are Bad? Could be? Maybe the weights on the clutch werent machined right and are hanging up? Could be? Maybe something as easy as spaced wrong "but this I doubt " or a bad belt that is dragging?? What I would like too see and I hope I am Not asking too much here is that they replace the clutch system totally. I mean everything Brand new since the car is Brand new and we go from there?

I have gone into the Maverick forums. Pretty much everyone is saying the same thing is the Primary is not totally releasing which is dragging the Belt which is spinning the secondary. I explained this to the dealer that if the secondary is spinning it will make it very tough to shift and then grind and slam into Gear without touching the throttle at all.Their first thought was the Bolt on the Primary wasnt torqued right. The first time the said they tightened it and everything worked Great No Noise No grind shifted Perfect for probably 4 miles. These were easy miles also as I am trying to run heat cycles on the belt so all flat and still in Eco mode. After that 4 miles it started doing the samething again. Some people are like well the primary is dirty but it only has 15-20 miles on the car never driven behind anyone or anything. Another opinion was the bolt they "retorqued" on the primary maybe the threads are Bad? Could be? Maybe the weights on the clutch werent machined right and are hanging up? Could be? Maybe something as easy as spaced wrong "but this I doubt " or a bad belt that is dragging?? What I would like too see and I hope I am Not asking too much here is that they replace the clutch system totally. I mean everything Brand new since the car is Brand new and we go from there?
I agree. At this point I would ask them to replace it. 

I would think it would be easy for them to isolate the problem if they lifted up the chassis and took the clutch cover off and looked at it while it idled. Then a good tech could isolate it from there, instead of just throwing parts at it.  

I would think it would be easy for them to isolate the problem if they lifted up the chassis and took the clutch cover off and looked at it while it idled. Then a good tech could isolate it from there, instead of just throwing parts at it.  
I hate to say this but a good (mechanic) will figure this out not a Tech.  

I agree, I was just under the impression that all of these dealerships called them all "techs" now.
Your correct they do. 
my son graduated from a couple of the big mechanic schools after he got out of the Navy.  He’s all kinds of ASE certified.  Now he’s a “Tech” I had him helping me on a jobsite fixing a battery issue.  Old school forklift no computer.  He spent 5 hrs tearing all the wiring apart and finally came up with it was a bad starter.  Bad battery connection was the fix.  By no means is this a knock on good mechanics 

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I called the dealer today because I hadnt heard anything from them since last Saturday when I dropped the car off. We the guy tells me they pulled everything apart to check and the primary came off without needing a puller "he said". He said then they have contacted Can am saying it needs a new primary and are waiting to see if Can am will pay for the repairs and parts. So they said theu will let me know when Can am lets them Know what will Happen.

My answer will be this. I bought the car 5 weeks ago it has been at the dealer 3 of those 5 weeks has no time on it so they dont have a choice but to fix it or give me my $$$ back or another car. Pretty simple to me

Back