1964 Dodge A-100 Hot rod sort of rat rod build thread.

JMHO, but if there was no mandated requirement, I would keep this under the bed rail height.  I get the purpose & need to goto the top of the cage in the cab, but...............  IMO, it takes away from the awesomeness going on in the bed....

View attachment 79708
We were going to build it to easily pass 11.50 tech. Not that I will ever want to beat on it at the drag strip. And not sure if it will run that fast with the weight and gear that will be in it. I am guessing low 12s in the quarter at least. Not sure I could do it going low like that. Going up high really boxes the whole frame in and makes it super Stout. To start with I'm going to try to take the factory Corvette sway bars and cut them. Then weld with a sleeve. Not sure if that will work or not. Otherwise I will have to buy aftermarket sway bars of some sort. With the frame being boxed and sway bars hopefully this thing performs well. Although I'm a little worried about the front being only 60 in wide. Also I have to get an intercooler mounted above the rear glass and the cage gives me a mounting point to do that. It will most likely be another bar going across with tabs coming out. When I started this truck I always wanted a cage up high like this so I like it. Personal preference I guess.  With the cold side of the turbo and the intercooler there will be more piping up high as well.

I know where you are headed with it, just giving you another opinion. 

& while Im offering an opinion that I was not asked for, LOL I would not do the IC either.  put it on E85 & add fuel/pull timing & keep it happy. 

I know where you are headed with it, just giving you another opinion. 

& while Im offering an opinion that I was not asked for, LOL I would not do the IC either.  put it on E85 & add fuel/pull timing & keep it happy. 
Certainly would be nice to run it on an ethanol based fuel. Problem is in Phoenix they took away the e85 at most stations and now it is flex fuel. 50/50 mix. That is what I run in the buggy. Just not enough places to be able to buy fuel to run it. 91 pump and let her rip. Have to have an intercooler or the intake Air temps would go through the roof. This truck will get driven quite a bit and I don't want to have to go out of my way to buy fuel. I have struggled through this whole project with the intercooler placement just because of trying to make the truck look cool. But I want it to be functional and make some real power as well

what about some side draft naca ducts instead of the roofduct, to keep the intercooler down low in the bed rail

image.png

Or point the compressor output down & route it to a small A-W cooler.  run it all up under the Pass side header.  then mount the heat exchanger in the back.

image.png

what about some side draft naca ducts instead of the roofduct, to keep the intercooler down low in the bed rail

View attachment 79715
So I have been adamant I did not want to touch the body anywhere. So what if I did a pair of small intercoolers with a fan on each one and one of these ducts. https://us.shopping.search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt=AwrO.Yk8DflknKoDNW5XNyoA;_ylu=Y29sbwNncTEEcG9zAzE3BHZ0aWQDTE9DVUkxMDJCXzE-?p=naca+duct+intake&type=E211US1441G0&ei=UTF-8&fr2=p%3As%2Cv%3Aw%2Cm%3Apla-more&fr=mcafee&IG=0acef989e2c94a68b0000000003ff60e

I am thinking you would need to cut holes in each side for air to go into the intercooler. Or are you saying mount the duct up higher under the glass. Not sure you could do that and make it look right. If so they would need to be built from scratch. This idea intrigues me. 

Or point the compressor output down & route it to a small A-W cooler.  run it all up under the Pass side header.  then mount the heat exchanger in the back.

View attachment 79716
I thought about this area for the intercooler. So much heat back there from the engine and radiator. Mike at Turbos direct told me it would be pointless to mount it there. 

I like the air/water idea.  Hide that chit!
Would that really work for a street driven car? Wouldn't the water get so hot over time it would be hard for the heat transfer? What about the heat exchanger. Doesn't it still need fresh cool air to have proper heat transfer. I am certainly up for a solution to not mount that intercooler up high. Heat exchanger can't go up front because I want unimpeded air to the radiator. I could mount the water tank in one of the small bed areas next to the engine. But again lots of heat there between the headers and hot air coming through the rad.  

I thought about this area for the intercooler. So much heat back there from the engine and radiator. Mike at Turbos direct told me it would be pointless to mount it there. 
Just to clarify that was air to air. I am not sure on air to water and how all that works. 

View attachment 79716
I am also thinking the fuel tank may be back where the red is. Angles following the frame to get it big enough. Thinking I need at least 55% of the weight on the rear. Might even mount the battery behind one of the rear tires. Although spooky in a violent blowout. What would an exploding 345 wide Toyo r888r do to an Optima?  :scared:

I am guessing the correct sized air to water IC would need to be HUGE.

I can't see any ducts on the side or sides looks good at all. And I really don't want to cut into the truck. I am all ears for an air to water system that would transfer the heat. I thought I had talked to Mike about this.  That spot in the back would be perfect for the exchanger. 

Air to water has a heat exhanger like a small radiator, and uses a pump to circulate the liquid.  It's how most modern boosted cars are done.  CTS-V, ZL1, dodges, poostang, etc..

Air to water has a heat exhanger like a small radiator, and uses a pump to circulate the liquid.  It's how most modern boosted cars are done.  CTS-V, ZL1, dodges, poostang, etc..
I would assume on all of these applications the heat exchanger is up in fresh air. I don't have that anywhere in the back of the truck. Poked around online and still have no clue how to size one of these systems or make it work for what I am doing. 

Back as far as cyclone/typhoon A>W IC have been used in the street.  The only time they really get "used" is under serious power.  The rest of the time they are just obstructions to airflow.  

My suggestion was for an A>W in under the header and as big a heat exchanger as you van stuff under those rails.  I'm guessing it could be pretty big (with a fan or 2). 

A few folks on the turbo rustang site did a comparison between the crappy little A>A ICs and none at all.  It was a draw in most cases.  IMO it mostly came down to packaging (length of turning, size of tubing, amount of boost, quality of tune, cam choice, etc, etc). 

Again...  IMO, what your planning will not be effective.   It would have to be giant...  think about a diesel truck.  They are huge for a reason.  

Back as far as cyclone/typhoon A>W IC have been used in the street.  The only time they really get "used" is under serious power.  The rest of the time they are just obstructions to airflow.  

My suggestion was for an A>W in under the header and as big a heat exchanger as you van stuff under those rails.  I'm guessing it could be pretty big (with a fan or 2). 

A few folks on the turbo rustang site did a comparison between the crappy little A>A ICs and none at all.  It was a draw in most cases.  IMO it mostly came down to packaging (length of turning, size of tubing, amount of boost, quality of tune, cam choice, etc, etc). 

Again...  IMO, what your planning will not be effective.   It would have to be giant...  think about a diesel truck.  They are huge for a reason.  
I assume you are referring to the air to air? Garrett did not make a skinny intercooler so Mike at turbos direct recommended Bell. I talked to them and they said for my application at 600 hp their 24 x 7.7 x 3.5 thick intercooler core would be sufficient. He said 28" long would be even better and work well. Less than 1psi pressure drop. Then I was going to build and weld my own tanks on the ends. Actually have one of my guys do that welding. I have new guy in the shop only two weeks and he is certified. Pics of his aluminum welds are very nice. I would love to mount an air to water down low if something will work. I never liked the idea of the IC mounted up high. But I want this truck to perform. 

Last edited by a moderator:
With air swirling around in the bed and around the engine why couldn't I stand the heat exchanger up running long ways along the bed side. Then have the fans blowing air directly at the engine. That would be cleaner and look better. although the air might be a little cooler back in the area shown in red in the drawing. So have the water tank below the headers on one side and the intercooler standing up on the other side. Leave the back cleaner looking. 

I would assume on all of these applications the heat exchanger is up in fresh air. I don't have that anywhere in the back of the truck. Poked around online and still have no clue how to size one of these systems or make it work for what I am doing. 
Yeah, they are typically placed like an a/c condenser.  Right in front of the radiator.  I'd imagine they are somewhat sized by HP and application.

Back