1962 Corvette Resto Mod build

Trim plate complete and painted. Now I just need to make ac lines and heater lines.

20211103_095627.jpg

20211103_095639.jpg

The electric Hood ram only has so much range and lets the hood only opens so far. So I built a hood prop rod to hold it open as far as possible. Easier to work on. Really simple to take out one bolt and put this in place.

20211103_095608.jpg

20211103_095614.jpg

I am waiting on some new lug nuts with a 1in step instead of 3/4. May or may not have to machine the front ones down. Front wheels are actually slightly narrower in thickness. Tires fits snug but hopefully will clear.

20211103_100227.jpg

20211103_101213.jpg

20211103_101223.jpg

Little baby buggy bumpers for each corner of the hood. Two different pieces of rubber glued together to get the correct height for the hood to lay down just right. I fretted about this for months worrying about how the hood was going to fit but ended up being pretty easy. Two biggest issues we have right now are the transmission controller not letting it shift correctly and alternator not charging. We sent the module out for the transmission and it is okay so something in the computer or the wiring. This has been a fight.

20211103_102055.jpg

20211103_102109.jpg

Built a bracket for the emergency brake module to sit above the engine computer. Lot of electronics now sitting in this area. I will wire it later. That will be a big project. Starting to get excited for Good guys. Bought tickets yesterday and looks like hopefully we will be out there at least in the morning Friday the 19th and Saturday the 20th. All of that wiring will get cleaned up later when we know we are done tinkering with it.

20211104_132741.jpg

20211104_133418.jpg

20211104_133441.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I gotta ask: 

The level of patience and detail on this is amazing.  How many tools were harmed during bouts of frustration?  Any Looney Toons style tool-shaped holes in the walls?  Random passers by hit by wrenches? Boots irreparably damaged after punting a trash can into Yuma?

:biggrin:  

I gotta ask: 

The level of patience and detail on this is amazing.  How many tools were harmed during bouts of frustration?  Any Looney Toons style tool-shaped holes in the walls?  Random passers by hit by wrenches? Boots irreparably damaged after punting a trash can into Yuma?

:biggrin:  
I think I have chucked a screwdriver only once during this project. I actually have quite a bit of patience. Just had another big victory today. The Dakota digital dash has intermittently worked off and on the whole time. The tach water temp and oil pressure would not work if you reached up and pulled on the wiring harness. Finally got pissed today and tore the wiring harness all back apart. It ended up being the can bus plug way up high under the dash that wasn't getting full connection. It is a push on connector that normally would connect without a problem. I'm going to extend both sides of that and have that plug down lower under the steering column for access.  And use a better plug.  

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess to add the input for the Dakota digital – is spliced into the can bus circuit.

Drove the car home tonight. All those hours and we can finally drive it. It is almost surreal.  Cool how well it drives at 80mph on the freeway compared to an old one on a stock chassis. Dying to run it hard but need to wait until the variable cam is locked. And get a full tune done. Didn't mean to but ran it 4500 rpm tonight.  Trans is shifting good now. Barks the tires from first to second. Also put on an older style single wire alternator so it is fixed and charging. Can bus circuit under the dash is all repaired and the gauges work perfect. Time for some car shows. Then we can think about upholstery.  :igor:

20211111_182322.jpg

Car show number two today. And greasy Tacos and cold beers. Damn life is good

20211113_183023.jpg

First day of Good Guys in the books. So much fun to see all the cool cars out there. When you build a car like we did you realize how much time so many people have put into their hot rods.  Glad to see we are past the covid shut downs and people are having fun. Today was pretty busy for a Friday. Tomorrow will be packed out there. Planning on going out Sunday as well. My electrical gremlin is back and the tach, speedo, water temp, and oil pressure all quit working sometimes and then come back on. What a PITA. I need to call Dakota Digital back and then dive into it again.  Car runs great. I have run it up to 5,000 rpm once by accident. Need to get that cam timing limiter installed.

20211119_103230.jpg

Month and a half break and I am almost ready to start tinkering again. Chevrolet made the interior slightly larger on the 61-62 models but for me with my long legs it is still VERY tight. Knees are very close to the dash.  We built custom seat bases for the car. Today I started playing with some shims to tilt the seat back.  Helped it a little bit and I will machine some spacers. Means I will have to completely redo the brackets for all of the electronics. Another 10-15 hours easy. I had found a nice leather lumbar pad that matched pretty close. Took it apart and sliced the memory foam to make it thinner. Would be nice to put some lumbar supports into the seats. Might ask the upholstery guy about that.  Also ordered some stainless fittings today to start getting the AC lines built. There is still so much to do and I just need to get back into a rhythm. Can't quite see the light yet.  

20220104_150338.jpg

20220104_151116.jpg

20220104_150316.jpg

Drivers side done. Computer moved back at least 2" and clearance for the seat going back further. 

20220107_152404.jpg

20220107_152350.jpg

Back