Correct term?

I made the mistake of bringing some kids to the veterans gig one year.
Turned out, no joy. The "Leader" chose the steepest and most difficult
path to the flagpole. My son in law (An excellent rider) returned to wash 21
with the grandkids in tow. I did make it, but the process of "Stopping" at the bottom of the steepest
hills and causing all behind to be gathering up in the low spot did not provide a pleasant
ride for the young ones. (Just Sayin') If you are a leader, effin lead.
There, I said it.

I've led and ridden with several different groups and styles. The most chaotic was an every man for himself style with full on passing and jockeying for position. I'm 100% good with it if everyone on the ride is good with it and we all start out knowing that.

The style I am most accustomed to is the "no man left behind" with the leader ultimately responsible for everyone's safety and enjoyment... evaluate everyone's skill level, determine the amount of transitions to take or avoid when possible, count cars/bikes, know the order of the riders and who has tail, continuously loop back and put eyes on the tail (who lets nobody past them... so if you don't see the tail you know shit went sideways), etc. etc. Sometimes this isn't a big deal and sometimes it's more stressful than opening a certified letter from the IRS.

The majority of my years and rides in Glamis we've had kids or relatively unskilled (couldn't lead if they had to) people in the group. I can't go on a ride like that and let God sort it out, I feel some obligation, leading or not, to keep people safe and even have fun at my own expense sometimes.

Admittedly, I will get well off the beaten path chasing ripples - a lot... untouched virgin sand! It's high risk and high reward... take the good with the bad... it may be the best ride of the season for 20 minutes solid and then BOOM... we need to go back to camp for tools or parts, and typically for me :ROFLMAO:

I just want to know who is in back. I do some loops, but it's usually because that bowl was awesome and I want to hit it again. Everything Hozay said is spot on, but goddamn that's a lot of work. I expect the guy in the back to let me know if something happened but the folks in the middle better be paying attention too. If the line gets too long then the guy in the back may not see everything. If you bring somebody new into the group that may have problems keeping up or maybe drives kind of stupid, it's YORE job to keep an eye on him and let the rest of us know, not ours.

As to the original question, the leader knows when it is a shit ride. You want to complain, you lead next ride. Of course shit talking with folks you've been friends with for years is entirely different and part of the fun as well.

I made the mistake of bringing some kids to the veterans gig one year.
Turned out, no joy. The "Leader" chose the steepest and most difficult
path to the flagpole. My son in law (An excellent rider) returned to wash 21
with the grandkids in tow. I did make it, but the process of "Stopping" at the bottom of the steepest
hills and causing all behind to be gathering up in the low spot did not provide a pleasant
ride for the young ones. (Just Sayin') If you are a leader, effin lead.
There, I said it.
Wow, that dude sounds like a douche!

We have a few people in the group that can lead and we switch off. Makes it fun seeing how others lead and the line choices. You can always learn something.

There is one that use to camp with us that would lead and on those rides someone was going to break or roll. LOL!

When the leader of a group ride finds good flowing lines and everyone has a good ride in the dunes he (group leader) will get compliments during breaks. What is the correct polite term to use when someone finds the most unflowing lines that offer a rough not so enjoyable ride? As in “Sir that sure was a xxxxx ride”?

I had a friend enter the Catalina ski race once.. it took him over two hours to complete it..

When he got back someone said “Anyone can ski that race in under 60 minutes.. It takes a Man to do it in two hours!”

I think I’d modify something like that to fit the criteria lol

Breaking off from a ride for non mechanical reasons should only be done at a break (beverage stop).
Stopping a group to go look for someone missing takes some effort.
I circle back about ever 10 minutes to put eyes on the group.
I’m always willing to turn over the lead.
Speaking of:

Any repair that stops a ride for more than 40 minutes results in flying this:

As a flag for the remainder of the trip, or until someone else "earns" it. Sadly, I've had to fly that fucking thing... @Deviantduner as well. :ROFLMAO:

Back