Youth Quads (ages 10-14-ish)

I put my Granddaughter on a kfx 80 for a couple of years then went with the Honda 250 ex not the best suspension but it did her good to about 10 years old then her mom put her on a Banshee to let an inexperienced friend ride the Honda ruined the kid she has been riding a Banshee or a 450 Yamaha ever since from the sounds of your kids size an all the Honda may be the way to go I know they are a lot of money compared to some of the China bikes but they hold their value well 

Good luck in your search 

My kid was on a Raptor 250 at age 8 and moved on to a 450 at age 13.  He was small when he jumped on the 250. I don't think he weighed 70lbs at the time.  There has to be an aftermarket clutch lever that will make it easier for them.   If your kids are aggressive riders they will have fun on the Raptor 250 and when they jump to a bigger quad 400 or 450 it is an easy transition. 

The Honda 250 would be fine if they like to cruise.  Can Am makes a DS250 with a CVT set up that is pretty nice. 

https://can-am.brp.com/off-road/us/en/models/all-terrain-vehicles/DS.html#250

Here is more recent article on different 250s

https://dirtwheelsmag.com/shootout-250cc-class-sport-atv-comparison/
Tried looking at a DS250 yesterday, but Vey's sold their last unit.  

I put my Granddaughter on a kfx 80 for a couple of years then went with the Honda 250 ex not the best suspension but it did her good to about 10 years old then her mom put her on a Banshee to let an inexperienced friend ride the Honda ruined the kid she has been riding a Banshee or a 450 Yamaha ever since from the sounds of your kids size an all the Honda may be the way to go I know they are a lot of money compared to some of the China bikes but they hold their value well 

Good luck in your search 
Thanks for the info.  Definitely not putting them on Banshees quite yet :biggrin:

Tried looking at a DS250 yesterday, but Vey's sold their last unit.  

Thanks for the info.  Definitely not putting them on Banshees quite yet :biggrin:
Banshee at that age would be a wild ride.  LOL!   

That DS250 look interesting.     Veys still has it listed on their website.  LOL!

Del Amo Motorsports shows they have one.  Maybe give them a call.  

Banshee at that age would be a wild ride.  LOL!   

That DS250 look interesting.     Veys still has it listed on their website.  LOL!

Del Amo Motorsports shows they have one.  Maybe give them a call.  
Up in OC though.  Too bad it isn't South Bay.  Vey's says they'll have more in September

Last edited by a moderator:
We've had a few 250ex’s around camp and they are great for the girls. My 15 year old daughter rides one and she loves it. She’s not a hardcore duner and likes to cruise in the kids group and loves it. Zero stress and has enough power to go up whatever they’re going up. 

For the boys, I’d prefer they learn to use a standard clutch as soon as possible so they can move up to bigger bikes. The sports clutch on the 250exs is not a true clutch and doesn’t teach them anything. My 16 year old son was riding a 300ex up until recently and I’m moving him to a 400ex or 450r for next season and beyond.

The beauty about smaller/kids quads is the resale value. In the past 3 days, I’ve listed 4 bikes for sale. 2 are already sold, 1 is pending for tonight and I’m still sitting on the other cause I don’t really need to sell it as I have a 4 year old to ride it. 

Any input on a Raptor 125?  I generally try to stay Honda but my son is too small for a TRX250EX.   His LT80 is great around camp but now that everyone else in camp is on a 250cc or higher bike, he just can't keep speed with the rest of the group.

I just sold my sons 2011 raptor 125.great little bike had a lot of suspension travel for a small bike.he rode the snot out if it.it was loaded with all GYTR stuff and I assume jetted for the GYTR exhaust.bought it use for 1,600 like 2 years ago never ever a issue with it and just sold it like 2 months ago for 2,400.could of probably got more but I feel some people are just straight up robbing people with the crazy prices and for a kids quad non the less.i made 800 more then I paid and Im fine with it, wife thinks I still sold it for to much but it sold in like 30 hours .great bike but plane on upgrading with in 2 years as my sone was really killing the thing.like sending it 10' high on the table tops we have out back and juts running it hard in the RPMs for more power so it was time to sell.hes on his brothers kfx450 now

No Rekluse clutch option, sadly.
You don't need it.  My son learned on his 250 in ONE ride. when he was 9.  He is 13 and 5'7" weighing 165 now.  He rides the Crap out of his 450 but still hops on the 250 all the time. They should be a good size for the 250.  Look hard should be able to find for under 3k.  Also have the Suki 250 auto clutch with rev.  Great bike shaft drive and fun to ride.  I even take that one out (not on a dune run, I need a cage. ) to watch the boys run the track or west dunes of pad 4.  buy used and you will get most of your money or all of it back.  even if you loose a grand on each one it is the price we pay for family fun. 

You don't need it.  My son learned on his 250 in ONE ride. when he was 9.  He is 13 and 5'7" weighing 165 now.  He rides the Crap out of his 450 but still hops on the 250 all the time. They should be a good size for the 250.  Look hard should be able to find for under 3k.  Also have the Suki 250 auto clutch with rev.  Great bike shaft drive and fun to ride.  I even take that one out (not on a dune run, I need a cage. ) to watch the boys run the track or west dunes of pad 4.  buy used and you will get most of your money or all of it back.  even if you loose a grand on each one it is the price we pay for family fun. 
She can’t physically pull most stock clutch levers. Looking for one for a decent deal and will add an adjustable clutch lever as @Jtmoney714 did. 

She can’t physically pull most stock clutch levers. Looking for one for a decent deal and will add an adjustable clutch lever as @Jtmoney714 did. 
Quads require rider input to stay level and to turn. That input requires an ass big enough to use as a counter weight.  If she isn't physically big enough to pull in a clutch lever she doesn't have the ass to make it so the bike doesn't slam her to the ground.  So right now she is on a smaller bike that doesn't keep up, well slow down the rides a little and let her figure out how to get around obstacles. Later on when she is physically big enough to actually ride  a bigger bike she will be light years ahead.

Kelsey Foley ( Lil Osoto) was a great rider, On a 450 she could keep up on any fast ride no problem, Hell she would follow Pajama Guy off lips and razorbacks , Nobody in there right mind does that.  She was a great rider......... Until that one day when the bike got out of shape and she needed another 40lbs of ass on the seat to keep it under control and the bike pile drived her into the face of Brawley Slide. It was two weeks of her sitting in a dark room before she could go back to school and it was another year at least before she was back to her normal self.  It was also the last time she rode a quad.

That can happen to any of us at any time and the only way to actually prevent that is to stay home and not ride, but if she isn't physically large enough and strong enough to pull in the clutch, give her a fighting chance not to have it happen to her.  

Quads require rider input to stay level and to turn. That input requires an ass big enough to use as a counter weight.  If she isn't physically big enough to pull in a clutch lever she doesn't have the ass to make it so the bike doesn't slam her to the ground.  So right now she is on a smaller bike that doesn't keep up, well slow down the rides a little and let her figure out how to get around obstacles. Later on when she is physically big enough to actually ride  a bigger bike she will be light years ahead.

Kelsey Foley ( Lil Osoto) was a great rider, On a 450 she could keep up on any fast ride no problem, Hell she would follow Pajama Guy off lips and razorbacks , Nobody in there right mind does that.  She was a great rider......... Until that one day when the bike got out of shape and she needed another 40lbs of ass on the seat to keep it under control and the bike pile drived her into the face of Brawley Slide. It was two weeks of her sitting in a dark room before she could go back to school and it was another year at least before she was back to her normal self.  It was also the last time she rode a quad.

That can happen to any of us at any time and the only way to actually prevent that is to stay home and not ride, but if she isn't physically large enough and strong enough to pull in the clutch, give her a fighting chance not to have it happen to her.  
That's the problem I'm having and seeing what there is for the 10-12 year old range.  90s don't have the power to pull a 70-80lb kid up anything but the kiddy dunes.  250s are generally meant for scared adult (or near adult) sized people.  

As far as weight goes, yes it helps keep the bike under control, but it can also hurt.  Put a fat guy on a 450R who insists on leaning to the inside of a "corner" even on the face of a steep bowl and he'll roll it downhill every time.  I generally don't let my kids ad-lib the larger stuff and rides are of "momma duck" style and will be until they're fully grown.  As with everything, it's about riding within your limits.  What happened to Kelsey really sucks, but I've seen 200lb dudes do the same thing. I don't think 40lbs would've fixed landing sideways after jumping the lip, but that's my idiot opinion. :biggrin:

Or, I can put her on a 450R/Banshee as suggested in this thread. :biggrin:

Easy fix, avoid Sand Dunes - Get Dirty instead :lol:

The Quads yore kids have ARE fast enough....its the SAND that is the problem.

They stock Kymco 90cc 4 bangers? You know "yore people" make a tone of clone Big Bore kits for cheap - cheap.

Easy fix, avoid Sand Dunes - Get Dirty instead :lol:

The Quads yore kids have ARE fast enough....its the SAND that is the problem.

They stock Kymco 90cc 4 bangers? You know "yore people" make a tone of clone Big Bore kits for cheap - cheap.
We do dirt as well…

But in the Jeep. 

my daughter got on the raptor 250 when she was 9 she's 60 lbs. picked up the clutch no problem with a good set of paddles and a good leader in the dunes we went everywhere. she isn't a aggressive driver and loves her quad the raptor has plenty of torque down low so it will pull even if its in the wrong gear. the suspension on the raptor is better than the trx i think they come set up for a lighter rider. we have left the wash hit all the hills and down to duners diner and back no problems so much better than the 90s

Last edited by a moderator:
So the 90cc quads CAN keep up... :poke:
Lol, naw. LS going in the Jeep in a couple weeks :biggrin:

my daughter got on the raptor 250 when she was 9 she's 60 lbs. picked up the clutch no problem with a good set of paddles and a good leader in the dunes we went everywhere. she isn't a aggressive driver and loves her quad the raptor has plenty of torque down low so it will pull even if its in the wrong gear. the suspension on the raptor is better than the trx i think they come set up for a lighter rider. we have left the wash hit all the hills and down to duners diner and back no problems so much better than the 90s
Nice. Definitely the way I’m leaning right now

Looks like a few mods and the DS250s dune well. 

Anyone still running Yamaha Blasters?  My 8 year old will be ready to move on from his LT80 towards the end of the season.  No worried about shifting, I know he will pick it up.  Daughters ride 250ex but he wants to be like the boys and ride a 2 stroke.

Anyone still running Yamaha Blasters?  My 8 year old will be ready to move on from his LT80 towards the end of the season.  No worried about shifting, I know he will pick it up.  Daughters ride 250ex but he wants to be like the boys and ride a 2 stroke.
I was gonna go the blaster route but I couldn’t find a clean one. 

Back