Youth Quads (ages 10-14-ish)

Rockwood

Reaction score
So, both of my kids have my curse of late growing (I was 5'1" end of my Freshman year of highschool, 5'11" end of sophomore).  Looking at 250s for them, and Raptor is king, but neither have big enough hands yet to operate a clutch (tried on a buddy's son's) and will probably move them to 400s once they can anyway.

So, looking at the DS250, Phoenix 200 or a TRX250X (or whatever else there is), or maybe a Raptor with auto clutch?

Anyone have this dilemma and what'd you do? 90 rides to Olds are getting a bit boring for the other kids.

Honda TRX250X is the way, enough spunk to have fun, still on lighter weight and good ergonomics. You can shift with or without using clutch, they will quickly like using the Semi-clutch as they get better.

CVT Quads in that CC size are under powered, gutless boat anchors.

Raptors are over-rated/priced for a category that most teens grow quickly out of.

Honda TRX250X is the way, enough spunk to have fun, still on lighter weight and good ergonomics. You can shift with or without using clutch, they will quickly like using the Semi-clutch as they get better.

Raptors are over-rated/priced for a category that most teens grow quickly out of.
Only bummer is the price of entry. Granted, they’ll be worth almost that at time of sale, but tough pill to swallow: $5k new, $3800 for a 2004… Lulz

They're currently on an Eton 90 (CVT as well) and they’re consistently quicker than the mildly hopped up 110s with gears. Hell, adults can baby dune that thing 4-stroke style pipe and all…

Those 250 Hondas are the best for sure, supper reliable as well.

Those 250 Hondas are the best for sure, supper reliable as well.
X2 

We went from the Kaseya 90's to the Honda trx250ex and it was well worth it. Newer ones come with the "sport clutch" which made it easier for them to learn as it was not needed if you forgot to clutch. Also the weight factor is greatly less than say a Polaris Phx. 

Good Luck

My kids (girls) went from Suk built 80's to Honda 300 with no problem and much better suspension than 250.  

Keep the stock pipe on and let'um ride till they fall asleep.!!!

300x was a good beginner bike for full sized quads, the yamaha warrior was cool too for a 4 stroke, both are a easy ride and electric start.  The recluse clutch is great, and I  would look for available models of their clutch set up even  before committing to buying the quad.

300X is a bit bigger, no?  Kids are 4'9" and 70lbs.  

My younger son is 7 and small rides the raptor no problem. I’ve bought aftermarket levers that let me adjust them in a bit. I like them much better than the Honda. Teaching the clutch wasn’t too hard. Teaching them when to shift is harder lol. 

both my kids duned for like 2 years each on Honda 250ex both with the useless sport clutch that I find a gimmick to boost sales.thay loved them and never a issue as its a Honda.the suspension is not good on the Honda and did wear them out in lots of rough stuff and jumping.but its a really good quad.the raptor 250 is hands down a better quad, it will out power the Honda,its almost 60 lbs lighter way better suspension.you can get the adjustable levers that have a dial to adjust it close to bars or out ward.cant go wrong with either but the raptor would be my first choice.i just could not pass up the crack head deals I got on my 2.

Put both my kids on 450's at age 11 & 12. If they can handle it just do it. They both had honda 250's and yes they went everywhere but did it very slowly. 

Put both my kids on 450's at age 11 & 12. If they can handle it just do it. They both had honda 250's and yes they went everywhere but did it very slowly. 
SAME!! forgot  to mention both my kids at 11 and 12 got on the 450s as the Honda was slow and dogged in the big stuff.one got a Honda 450 and the other a Kawasaki kfx450 because it was a monster energy addition and he thought it was so bas ass.... I liked the Kawasaki cuz its has  reverse.

So, both of my kids have my curse of late growing (I was 5'1" end of my Freshman year of highschool, 5'11" end of sophomore).  Looking at 250s for them, and Raptor is king, but neither have big enough hands yet to operate a clutch (tried on a buddy's son's) and will probably move them to 400s once they can anyway.

So, looking at the DS250, Phoenix 200 or a TRX250X (or whatever else there is), or maybe a Raptor with auto clutch?

Anyone have this dilemma and what'd you do? 90 rides to Olds are getting a bit boring for the other kids.
We had the raptor 250, best one imo but they don't have an auto clutch... they are the real deal.

This 👆

Mine went from Eton 90's to TRX 250's to 400EX/TRX450r. 

Get Raptor 250's if they are aggressive riders and install Rekluse clutches. If they don't ride hard then the Honda will be the better choice. Either way the kids quad market is expensive and you should be able to get your money back when you sell them. That is assuming you are looking to buy used ones.

My kids' fingers barely reach the lever on an adult quad, let alone wrap around it enough to pull the lever... I think I'm gonna wait a bit before I put a 70lb kid on a 450.

My younger son is 7 and small rides the raptor no problem. I’ve bought aftermarket levers that let me adjust them in a bit. I like them much better than the Honda. Teaching the clutch wasn’t too hard. Teaching them when to shift is harder lol. 
Nice.  Bummer about the 250 is only used, and since Asian, I have trouble with the "value" of a $4000 used kids quad.

That is a big bike for a larger kid or girl that is afraid of a 450. 
Thanks, what I thought.  

Get Raptor 250's if they are aggressive riders and install Rekluse clutches. If they don't ride hard then the Honda will be the better choice. Either way the kids quad market is expensive and you should be able to get your money back when you sell them. That is assuming you are looking to buy used ones.
No Rekluse clutch option, sadly.

My kid was on a Raptor 250 at age 8 and moved on to a 450 at age 13.  He was small when he jumped on the 250. I don't think he weighed 70lbs at the time.  There has to be an aftermarket clutch lever that will make it easier for them.   If your kids are aggressive riders they will have fun on the Raptor 250 and when they jump to a bigger quad 400 or 450 it is an easy transition. 

The Honda 250 would be fine if they like to cruise.  Can Am makes a DS250 with a CVT set up that is pretty nice. 

https://can-am.brp.com/off-road/us/en/models/all-terrain-vehicles/DS.html#250

Here is more recent article on different 250s

https://dirtwheelsmag.com/shootout-250cc-class-sport-atv-comparison/

Back