X3 or XX?

How quickly this turned into a need for “Speed”, you can’t buy a Speed car (well you can buy one just can’t drive one)so quit mentioning it, back to the topic of which car to buy, by the way which seat belts do you run in your everyday driver that will do 100 mph? Factory DOT? I know, I know it’s much safer to drive on roads and Highways. 
In the OP's post, he said he was looking to buy something NEXT YEAR. For his kids.

You can put your kids in whatever you want, but I like my kids. So that's NO on the CrushedCan.

How old are the kids that would be driving this new SXS?

The X3 motor and drive train can not be beat for reliability.   I would also tell you to spend a few grand more and get the 72" model X3 that comes with the QS3 shocks.  The added width makes the car even more stable.

As far as spare tire carrier I have had several on my X3.  With a stock cage the Can Am pivot rack is the great.  If you go aftermarket cage both Assault Industries and Cognito Motorsports make really nice racks that pivot up and leave room for a storage underneath the rack.

I am not sure you would need a gusset kit for the 64" model.   My friend never put one on his 64" model and never had any issues.  He sold his care with 4,000 or so miles on it.   All he did was desert and some trail riding.   If you do go with a gusset kit you do not have to go nuts.  After 8,000 miles on my last X3 my cheap HMF gusset kit help up great.  By the way the 2022 X3 increased the material thickness in the front bulkhead area and were the suspension mounts. So gusset kit would not be a top priority.  If you are insistent on an aftermarket cage   Cagewrx makes a great aftermarket cage that is very reasonable price wise.  If you can weld the the weld it yourself kit is around $800 with an aluminum roof.   

You can buy seat risers for the X3 that lift up the rear of the seat so you can see more.  The stock retractable harnesses work really well.   Only reason I got rid of mine is because the did not work with the seats I purchased.   The stock seats are pretty comfortable. 

The Wildcat XX is a great car and works great in the desert.  The rear suspension likes to buck and bottom out.  A spring kit helps.  They are built pretty tough.  Visibility in the XX is not much better than the X3.   I have friends with the XX and they appear to be problem free.  I would think you could work a good deal on a XX as they do not sell very well.   

My only concern with the XX would be the lack of dealers and if you need any warranty work.

If speed is not a concern I would also be looking at the Kawi KRX.   
The kids are 12 & 16. I know it sounds young. My daughter being the younger, I’ve been teaching her last year to drive the 900. She probably not gone over 30mph, as I’m more teaching her car control and wheel placement in turns and how to read the terrain. She would never drive without me in any car. She’s been riding quads since she was 3. She learned on a 86 Suzuki LT50. Awesome and fast little quad! She’s also been karting a few times a year for the past couple years. More of me training her car control and cornering. 

The 16 year old has been riding quads, driving her parents RZR 1000 a little bit fir a few years. It’s how she learned ti drive. Now she’s licensed and drives a car daily. 

If I bought new or let them use the 900, the 16 year old would drive the group rides, (daytime only) with the younger in the passenger seat. Until she got a bit older and I felt she could drive at a higher speed and in more then just the flats and mud hills with dad. 

Both girls are due for a quad upgrade next year and why I was thinking about getting them in a cage. Plus my daughter keeps asking when can I drive the buggy. My daughter would move up to a 250, with the teenager getting a 450. Im still not comfortable with them riding to far away from camp or with the group as you can’t control the others riding around you.  

Your right  about the 72 inch. I think in the 22 Can Am thread I said the best bang for the buck is the 72 inch RS, but it’s several thousand more then the 64 and if I did this it’s more of an entry level car for them to use and learn with. Again this is just me thinking about, if I was to get them a car. The dads think it’s a great idea, the mom’s think it’s dumb and I’m nuts for even considering. Lol! 

3 years old doing circles around camp. 

F1B73A1B-AB00-4D11-8D23-D25929F6B3AE.jpeg

Good prospective of the 3 year old on the 50 and 8 year old on a 70.  

FCF44FBF-0913-43DD-834F-DAC5005E46AE.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
In the OP's post, he said he was looking to buy something NEXT YEAR. For his kids.

You can put your kids in whatever you want, but I like my kids. So that's NO on the CrushedCan.
Yes if I bought something it would be more entry level base model. I’m trying to keeP it affordable and justifiable. HP is not a concern and why I could just let them use the XP4 900. We are not Sand Dune only people. In fact my daughter has seen Glamis & the Imperial Sand Dunes, but she’s only ridden in the Superstition dunes, which is a spit of sand compared to Glamis. Also this could be a car that guest could use and try. 

Thsts why the XX was being considered, as it’s a nice strong machine with many of the safety items I’d need and things like opening window nets is a internet click away, where with the Can Am I’d have to have a set fabbed up. 

Yes if I bought something it would be more entry level base model. I’m trying to keeP it affordable and justifiable. HP is not a concern and why I could just let them use the XP4 900. We are not Sand Dune only people. In fact my daughter has seen Glamis & the Imperial Sand Dunes, but she’s only ridden in the Superstition dunes, which is a spit of sand compared to Glamis. Also this could be a car that guest could use and try. 

Thsts why the XX was being considered, as it’s a nice strong machine with many of the safety items I’d need and things like opening window nets is a internet click away, where with the Can Am I’d have to have a set fabbed up. 
I also like the XX, and I just don't worry too much about future factory support, I tend to go aftermarket or to my local fab shop if I need repairs, since I tend to upgrade rather than replace with the same subpar part.

Have you considered the KRX? Justin from Shock Therapy ranked it right up there with the XX, did a YT video about it. Although I wouldn't do business with him, he does know his way around all of the different SxSs.

I also like the XX, and I just don't worry too much about future factory support, I tend to go aftermarket or to my local fab shop if I need repairs, since I tend to upgrade rather than replace with the same subpar part.

Have you considered the KRX? Justin from Shock Therapy ranked it right up there with the XX, did a YT video about it. Although I wouldn't do business with him, he does know his way around all of the different SxSs.
Honestly I did not and maybe should? We have a KRX in our group. It’s nice and I think the base model is around 20K maybe I need to consider or add it to the list. 

Honestly if or when the time comes I will probably look at the X3, XX and KRX to see who’s got the best price and what fits the girls the best. The only thing about the KRX is it looks huge. It stands tall and with the rear fenders so high, it just looks massive and might be intimidating.? Going from a XP900 to KRX is like a Suzuki Samurai to Chevy Tahoe. 

One other thing that had me thinking about a car for the kids is. Im probably going to have to get a new utility trailer as the Speed UTV is longer and if I did upgrade my daughter to a bigger quad, it’s not all going to fit. So if I’m upgrading the trailer, then I might think about one that can fit two cars. This is just a domino effect, one thing leads to another. 

If the field is more open, I'd consider a Talon over the KRX. Much lighter and better visibility.

Cam Am, easy choice. You want a drive and go car, that is it. Break something, which will happen, plenty of dealer support.

The kids are 12 & 16. I know it sounds young. My daughter being the younger, I’ve been teaching her last year to drive the 900. She probably not gone over 30mph, as I’m more teaching her car control and wheel placement in turns and how to read the terrain. She would never drive without me in any car. She’s been riding quads since she was 3. She learned on a 86 Suzuki LT50. Awesome and fast little quad! She’s also been karting a few times a year for the past couple years. More of me training her car control and cornering. 

The 16 year old has been riding quads, driving her parents RZR 1000 a little bit fir a few years. It’s how she learned ti drive. Now she’s licensed and drives a car daily. 

If I bought new or let them use the 900, the 16 year old would drive the group rides, (daytime only) with the younger in the passenger seat. Until she got a bit older and I felt she could drive at a higher speed and in more then just the flats and mud hills with dad. 

Both girls are due for a quad upgrade next year and why I was thinking about getting them in a cage. Plus my daughter keeps asking when can I drive the buggy. My daughter would move up to a 250, with the teenager getting a 450. Im still not comfortable with them riding to far away from camp or with the group as you can’t control the others riding around you.  

Your right  about the 72 inch. I think in the 22 Can Am thread I said the best bang for the buck is the 72 inch RS, but it’s several thousand more then the 64 and if I did this it’s more of an entry level car for them to use and learn with. Again this is just me thinking about, if I was to get them a car. The dads think it’s a great idea, the mom’s think it’s dumb and I’m nuts for even considering. Lol! 

3 years old doing circles around camp. 

View attachment 12273

Good prospective of the 3 year old on the 50 and 8 year old on a 70.  

View attachment 12274

I would take a serious look at the Kawi KRX as it is in the price point you are looking.   I think it is a great platform to learn and it will not get you in trouble with the speed being limited to 70mph.    It has a good wheelbase at 98" and it is 68" wide.  Comes with 31" tires and has lots of storage space.   The only thing you would have to do is add a cage.  The KRX is not a speed demon, but out of the box it is pretty darn good for the type of riding you will be doing.   

file:///C:/Users/nao/Downloads/SpecSheet_2020-teryx-krx-1000.pdf

https://www.kawasaki.com/en-us/side-x-side/teryx/teryx-2-passenger-sport/teryx-krx-1000/2020-teryx-krx-1000#specs

My kid has been driving my X3 with me as the passenger.  I started letting him drive it when he was 13.  I only let him drive it in the desert and last season a little bit in the dunes.  The X3 in Eco mode has a very tame throttle response so you are not going to get into trouble in that mode.   With lots of seat time in the Eco mode I let him go to sport mode with my car having a tune.  LOL!

The X3 in a 64" model is a great car.

I would head to a dealer and have your 16 year old sit in all of the them and see what feels comfortable.  

Talking to one of my friends and he was telling me that a mutual fabricator friend was going to be doing a engine swap on a XX. I guess one of the guys who races D38 had an engine failure. He was able to get ahold of a used Polaris turbo engine and wants to put it in the XX. Not sure of the details, but I was wondering if the Team trans in the XX will mate to the RZR turbo? Or do they use a Team RZR trans. And how do they get the axles to work? No idea how you get the dash to work?  It will be interesting to see if they do it and how it works out? 168 hp in the XX sounds pretty cool! 

Talking to one of my friends and he was telling me that a mutual fabricator friend was going to be doing a engine swap on a XX. I guess one of the guys who races D38 had an engine failure. He was able to get ahold of a used Polaris turbo engine and wants to put it in the XX. Not sure of the details, but I was wondering if the Team trans in the XX will mate to the RZR turbo? Or do they use a Team RZR trans. And how do they get the axles to work? No idea how you get the dash to work?  It will be interesting to see if they do it and how it works out? 168 hp in the XX sounds pretty cool! 
That would be cool.  I am guessing he will just use the Turbo Polaris trans and make custom axles.  Once you upgrade the bearings in the Polaris trans they are pretty built proof. 

If this were my decision to make, I'd go with option 3 for two main reasons:

1. It is already paid for.

2. Learning to drive with the less than optimal HP will also help them learn the things you stated you already know how to do such as gauge and use momentum...

Last edited by a moderator:
Back