X3 oil pan

I just watched the video. So much good information. Now to get the Curtis drain valve. 

I usually pull that 10mm drain valve, then loosen the bolts on the filter housing to prevent vacuum lock since there's a sealed air pocket in there.

I just changed my oil at 333 dune miles and that little bolt made me nervous at 11ftlb of tork. I think its just for draining the oil filter body, maybe instead of taking it out it would be better to stick a hose in there after taking the filter out to suck out the rest of the oil? 

I know there is quite a bit of oil in there because i took that bolt out last after i thought it was done draining i remembered to take it out and a bunch more oil came out

I just changed my oil at 333 dune miles and that little bolt made me nervous at 11ftlb of tork. I think its just for draining the oil filter body, maybe instead of taking it out it would be better to stick a hose in there after taking the filter out to suck out the rest of the oil? 

I know there is quite a bit of oil in there because i took that bolt out last after i thought it was done draining i remembered to take it out and a bunch more oil came out
I think doing the procedure in the video posted on this thread eliminates the need to remove that small bolt.  

For small fasteners like that, I just hold a 1/4" ratchet around the extension/head.  Hard to put more than 10lbs on it that way.

LOTD told me that if that bolt was in double shear, it wouldn't have broke. Please don't shot the messager........
Proper double shear with proper geometry sir. 

Oh. Wait. Post exodus. I amend my statement….

Last edited by a moderator:
For small fasteners like that, I just hold a 1/4" ratchet around the extension/head.  Hard to put more than 10lbs on it that way.
I use a tork wrench now , i used to be real good a stripping the small bolts on my quad filter caps back in the day

I use a tork wrench now , i used to be real good a stripping the small bolts on my quad filter caps back in the day
Had a buddy who used to break bolts all the time.  Eventually noticed that he had one of those super long 3/8" ratchets.  Bought him one of the good Craftsman 3/8" ratchets in regular size and hasn't broken a bolt since. :biggrin:

Had a buddy who used to break bolts all the time.  Eventually noticed that he had one of those super long 3/8" ratchets.  Bought him one of the good Craftsman 3/8" ratchets in regular size and hasn't broken a bolt since. :biggrin:
Stupid leverage winning the bolt battle.  On smaller bolts I use the 1/4" rachet.  

Good news is warranty covered the repair.  

Good and Craftsman 3/8” ratchet should never be used in the same sentence

Back