X3 oil pan

Sand Shark

Reaction score
I was doing an oil change before my week long trip to Glamis for Christmas/New Years. The X3 has two drain plugs - the main big plug and a smaller secondary plug that drains oil from the oil filter housing.   When I removed the secondary small drain plug a chunk of metal came with it. I was like WTF is that. Quickly realized it was part of the threaded boss the drain plug goes into. I was in panic mode as I was scheduled to head out to Glamis in 6 days.

I have never had this happen before and I have done dozens of oil changes between my two X3s.

I talked to @Megadesertdiesel about possibly JB welding the piece in place with the bolt to get me through the trip.  He said to get the parts ordered in case JB Weld does not work and we could change the oil pan in Glamis. Did not want to chance replacing it in Glamis and wasting a day doing it.

I ordered a new oil pan and gasket from Partzilla and had it rush delivered. Tuesday before my trip (we were planning on heading out Saturday to Glamis) I call the dealer I trust, Jetworld Powersports in Castic, CA. I talked to the service manager Brandon and let him know what happen. Without hesitation he said to get them my car and they would get the oil pain installed for me so I could make my trip. Of course the oil pain arrived Wednesday evening after the dealership was closed. Dropped it off first thing Thursday morning. They said they would do their best to get it done by Friday, but Saturday morning was more likely. Replacing an oil pan is a lot of work as you have to lift the engine and remove 9 million rivets to get the skid plate off.

Well they called me Friday early afternoon and told me my car was ready for pick up. I was so stoked they were able to get my car in and get the job knocked out.  Jetworld has been very good to me over the years and I recommend them to friends over the years.   They have good mechanics and get the job done.  

Did close to 400 dunes miles in Glamis and no oil leaks.

IMG_5748.jpg

IMG_5964.jpg

IMG_5965.jpg

Didn't see the picture of the pan.  For some reason when you sent the pictures, I assumed (like a #1 dumbass @Punchdrunk Monkey  :biggrin: ) it broke off from inside. 

Do the threads continue past the break a couple of rounds?  If so, probably could've RTV'd the threads and screwed it back in for a weekend. :biggrin:

Didn't see the picture of the pan.  For some reason when you sent the pictures, I assumed (like a #1 dumbass @Punchdrunk Monkey  :biggrin: ) it broke off from inside. 

Do the threads continue past the break a couple of rounds?  If so, probably could've RTV'd the threads and screwed it back in for a weekend. :biggrin:
Did not think of RTV.   I think there are a few threads past the break.  I will have to look when I get home.  Really did not want to take a chance of it coming out and smoking a motor.  

From what i hear this is not uncommon with the x3.  It would suck for sure to find this out just before a trip.  Glad you go it fixed. 

makes me want to not take that extra small bolt out when i change my oil from now on

Having a little bit of a machinist background I have to ask... is there enough meat under there to mill off that boss, and put an insert in? Seems to me that a hole like that should have one from the start considering how easy it could be overtightened and gets R&R'd so much, but what would any of us know!   Looking at those threads... actually going by the torque spec and using a new crush washer every time might be more of a requirement than a suggestion to those that will insist on removing it.  But like you said... I will seriously consider not touching it on the next oil change!

I am going to get Nikal, LOTD, Hotboat and Dta on this thread and get it to 300 before the first Speed car is delivered!!!

I am not taking it out every again.  
Don’t you have to? I always pull it, but never really pay attention since it’s usually glugging oil onto the skid plate and all over the damned place…

Don’t you have to? I always pull it, but never really pay attention since it’s usually glugging oil onto the skid plate and all over the damned place…
from what I've read in the past it's about a 1/2 quart of oil that's up in the filter that drains from it.

Having a little bit of a machinist background I have to ask... is there enough meat under there to mill off that boss, and put an insert in? Seems to me that a hole like that should have one from the start considering how easy it could be overtightened and gets R&R'd so much, but what would any of us know!   Looking at those threads... actually going by the torque spec and using a new crush washer every time might be more of a requirement than a suggestion to those that will insist on removing it.  But like you said... I will seriously consider not touching it on the next oil change!
Torque spec on that bolt is minimal.  Not enough meat to mill off the boss.  Honestly not sure why the even add it.  Even when you remove it changing the oil filter is messy.   Just as easy to remove the filter and have a rag soak up the oil.  

from what I've read in the past it's about a 1/2 quart of oil that's up in the filter that drains from it.
I don't think it is even a 1/2 of quart in the filter housing.  Not much comes out. 

If that little bolt actually drained the filter housing, it would be great.  But every time I do an oil change, I pull that bolt, and the filter housing still spews oil all over the damn place. Drives me insane.

I just watched that Curtis Valve video.  I wasn't aware of the "drown mode" feature.  I'm going to try that next time I do the oil.  Maybe that is the secret to not making a mess with the oil filter housing.

I just watched that Curtis Valve video.  I wasn't aware of the "drown mode" feature.  I'm going to try that next time I do the oil.  Maybe that is the secret to not making a mess with the oil filter housing.
I was not aware of the "down mode" either.  Going to try it next time.  

Back