X3 B pillar ?

dunenigma

Banned
Reaction score
Well I had a thought way back, when I bought my 23 x3 xrs. After seeing some people's crash pics, mostly not sand related,  I started thinking 🤔 why not add a B Pillar ?.

So here are a few pics of my little project. Granted I'm not looking to sell or patent or anything. Just an idea that Im into for $150 bucks so far and maybe  another $60 for the paint match, and by no means do I think it will replace a hardy after market cage. 

Just Sand, just curious.

3/4"heims and beefy split collar clamps on bottom.

2" , 3/16" channel on top with a 3/8" ss spring bolt lock into the existing chassis. Only drill one 3/8" hole into the existing chassis brace on top for the locking bolt.

Pros and cons before I do the other side ?.

Yikes 

IMG_20240706_152506214.jpg

IMG_20240706_152512253_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240706_152527600.jpg

IMG_20240706_152545892.jpg

whoah, you will hate getting into that contraption.  You need to move the bottom forward closer to a junction of tubing instead of the middle.  Put a bend in the tube at the dash to get it tighter.  

Honestly i would cut off the metal gusset at top with a cut off wheel carefully and just weld in a tube.  I did just this on two different x3's, one stock cage and a max cage i built.  

image.png

image.png

image.png

Its still easy in and out of the seat. Valid point on the worst case scenario. Only in this for $80 so far, not $150 The paint match would add another $70. What to do..

Its still easy in and out of the seat. Valid point on the worst case scenario. Only in this for $80 so far, not $150 The paint match would add another $70. What to do..
If that folds / sheers it could turn into a spear. I’d hold out for an aftermarket cage if you’re concerned about integrity in a roll / crash.

Was thinking about instead of the vertical spring bolt maybe a removable horizontal bolt through the 3)16"channel and gusset with a hitch pin. IDK.  Still on the fence. Appreciate the comments.

whoah, you will hate getting into that contraption.  You need to move the bottom forward closer to a junction of tubing instead of the middle.  Put a bend in the tube at the dash to get it tighter.  

Honestly i would cut off the metal gusset at top with a cut off wheel carefully and just weld in a tube.  I did just this on two different x3's, one stock cage and a max cage i built.  

View attachment 112746

View attachment 112745

View attachment 112744
IDK , your adding a stronger top to a weak bottom ?.  I can't really tell or compare a 4 seat to a 2 seat. I guess the general consensus of this post and a few others so far is  " it can't hurt " . Sure there's the " catastrophic " side but IDK. Not like I'm a racer. Now I know why the real racers have big bucks in these cars. It ain't the motor and trans.

Yikes

I'm going for it !. Wt heck. Passenger side done. Mock up that is. 

IMG_20240708_221243396.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
If it's not welded in, I'd be worried about whatever you're using to affix it just tearing through the stock cage and giving you a bad case of summer teeth.

That pin will snap in a heart beat!
Or the dozens of Gs seen in a crash overcomes the spring and that bar moves the only direction it can to give you a nice kiss on the forenoggin. 

Any impact that compromises the cage is going to change the alignment and dimension of that connection where the spring pin holds that brace in place. The slightest bit of flex or change in dimension is going to disconnect the top of that brace from your cage. Combine that with the articulation on the bottom and you now have a long steel object whipping about inside your cage. There's no doubt in my mind that because of that poor connection where you're using that spring pin that brace is going to do way more harm than good. Other than that I like your idea but some of the examples given earlier would be much safer for driver and front passenger. A more positive connection at the top is a no brainer and add to that a bend so that you can tie in at the bottom at a better junction and you've got yourself a B pillar. Without a positive connection at the top I'd scrap the whole idea 

Ditched the spring bolt in other post. Going to a horizontal bolt with a heavy duty hitch pin drivers side and bolt and nut passenger side since I'm not planning on any riders. If something t- bones me in the a pillar think id rather have a little more meat there than just the laid back stock a pillar. Think it will be much stronger in a roll or an endo. 

Kinda figured I'd get the " hard core don't " crowd , but I think some are overlooking the benefits, compared to the WCS 's. Jeez I can die just driving to the super mercado or standing at the drags. 

Opinions still appreciated !.

Kinda figured I'd get the " hard core don't " crowd , but I think some are overlooking the benefits, compared to the WCS 's. Jeez I can die just driving to the super mercado or standing at the drags. 

Opinions still appreciated !.
I think they were just trying to steer you in a better direction of doing the B-pillar.   

I think they were just trying to steer you in a better direction of doing the B-pillar.   
I get it. No problem. $3k for a cage or $200 for a bandaid. Still waiting for kenimoto to call.  :classic_smile:

Back