WTB GM truck

Here ya go, full disclosure: Second owner 2002 GMC 2500 4X4 with the 8.1L and 5 speed Allison trans. in the old man gold color. Extended cab short bed w/ 5th wheel rails and 7-pin connector in the bed. The only weak link in that entire drive train was the transfer case and we installed a brand new one with the upgraded forks a couple years ago. 119k miles on that 496 and it still shits and gits, 4wd is smooth and easy.

It's pulled a 43' 5th wheel hauler up the coast to Oregon and out to G for a couple seasons before I got the diesel. It'll pass anything but a gas station and sees ~11mpg not towing and 5.5 (6 at best)mpg when towing.

Just had it in the shop and replaced a mode door actuator (for A/C), serpentine belt and A/C belt, oil change, trans service, and crankshaft position sensor. Plugs, wires, etc were done recently.

4 brand new BFG AT T/A KO2

Kid took it through the Dunkin Donuts drive through and wrinkled the drivers side bed a bit when he shook hands with a yellow pole :kick:  Other than that, interior and exterior are pretty good for an 02.

I have the matching camper shell on the side of the house, it's been off of it for ~5 years.

Got some bad gas from local AM/PM and it started throwing codes, shop said it's happening to a lot of GM vehicles at that AM/PM... currently we are driving it daily with 91 from Chevron to get that chit blown out and smogged once it quits throwing codes. I'm about over that and ready to send it back to the shop and let them deal with it.

It's not listed anywhere for sale.

Holler if you have any other questions! :cheers:

Brian 9five1 31four 434four
Would take this over the 6.0...I had a 2007 2500HD with a 6.0 and the engine struggled more up grades than my 1/2 on with a 4.8 - towing a 20FT toy hauler...The clutch fan kicks in on the 6.0 and it feel like a 50HP loss or more...Hated that engine. In electric fan upgrade would have prob helped?

The 8.1 coupled with the Allison you get with that engine is a far better choice if the truck will be used for towing.  The MPG loss is worth it.

So it can be done! Thinking about going 24ft enclosed behind my 36' Dolphin with that drivetrain. Carry on. 
At one point I had a cracked frame/hitch weld that almost lost it - the drivetrain was perfectly fine but the chit weld that installed the hitch was not. After repair no issues. Towed that setup back and forth through scissors crossing from Temecula to G for years. It was damned near every bit of the 75 gallon tank for a round trip but it did it just fine :cheers:

Would take this over the 6.0...I had a 2007 2500HD with a 6.0 and the engine struggled more up grades than my 1/2 on with a 4.8 - towing a 20FT toy hauler...The clutch fan kicks in on the 6.0 and it feel like a 50HP loss or more...Hated that engine. In electric fan upgrade would have prob helped?

The 8.1 coupled with the Allison you get with that engine is a far better choice if the truck will be used for towing.  The MPG loss is worth it.
Never had an issue towing with this thing... other than towing up the 101 and finding a gas station in Ventura County that I could fit my rig into :lol:

Never had an issue towing with this thing... other than towing up the 101 and finding a gas station in Ventura County that I could fit my rig into :lol:
8.1 / Allison with a short bed will pass anything but a gas station. What size tank on that thing like 13 gallons :lol:   I know it's 25ish but when you start towing it seems like it's 13ish.  Queen Creek to Flagstaff was a three tank each way experience for one of the guy's in the old group. Said he got worried if he couldn't see the next gas station while he was filling up.

8.1 / Allison with a short bed will pass anything but a gas station. What size tank on that thing like 13 gallons :lol:   I know it's 25ish but when you start towing it seems like it's 13ish.  Queen Creek to Flagstaff was a three tank each way experience for one of the guy's in the old group. Said he got worried if he couldn't see the next gas station while he was filling up.
it's like 26.5 and it needs to be three times that. Towing that 43' 5'er from home to G it's damned near a full tank to get to Westmoreland which is the next gas station... if I have my foot in it up the grade I will run about 2 miles short, if I take it easy on the beast it comes in with a gallon to spare :lol:  ... started carrying jugs with me and just tossing an extra 5gal in around Ocotillo just to save my sanity.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back