Witches eye got me

L.R.S.

Reaction score
It was bound to happen sooner or later. Yesterday was my day. I've hit some small watches eyes before and drove through them cause my car is a tank. This witches eye was different, swallowed the car and there was no driving out.

My car to car radio wasnt working and we stopped by PCI on Thursday to have it checked. They found the gain on the intercom was turned down to zero and made an adjustment. It was working great the rest of the day. Friday morning my radio wasn't working again, I could hear but couldn't transmit. It rained Thursday night and maybe that had an affect.

After the morning fog cleared our group of 6 cars went to Swing Set to watch the jumping then headed to China Wall. I was the last in line. It's tight trails and we have a rule to always stay I line. I came around a corner and dropped into a small turn and two SxS's we cross cutting our line and in front of me. I could smash them or turn into the witches eye. I turned. 

It was myself, my 17 yr old daughter snd a friend in the backseat. We went from 30mph to ZERO instantly. Sunglasses and headsets went flying off. We checked on each other and all felt ok. What now? I called to our group but my radio sucks and they couldn't hear me. The two SxS's kept driving. Kinda bummed about that. 

Before I could even unbelt another group of SxS's came through and stopped to check on us. These were great people and they all pitched in the see what we could do. When I got out of the car my step was at my chest level. This hole was deep AF.

We started digging our the front end which was buried in the face of the witches eye. We put my two strap on yhe bulkhead and tried to pull yhencar sideways. No way that was happening, even with 9 guys. 

My buddy Chris and my son showed up after realizing we were not at China Wall. 5 guys lulling the tow strap and 5 guys lifting the front end up and we slowly moved the car sideways. Once the car was about 90° I hopped in and drove it out. 

I cannot thank the guys enough and I never got their names. Super awesome dune karma for them.

The car held up very well and the only damage is my front skid plate and two bumper light tabs are bent. Glad I have a big heavy ass prerunner. Not sure how well another brand would have done in this situation. 

Pics do not do it justice. 

85305.jpeg

IMG_20221230_163437_036.jpg.webp

85307.jpeg

85309.jpeg

85311.jpeg

Good job slowing it down hitting it straight and surviving mostly unharmed! Thats cause for celebration 

How's your neck feeling?
I put some vodka on it last night, internally, took four 500mg Advil. Woke up and felt fine. The rear seat passenger said her nose hurts from the headset coming down and hitting it. My daughter it still sleeping but last night she said she felt fine. 

There were some hidden witches eyes for sure this last week, I missed a few leading by only a few feet.  Glad you and the car are OK.

Good to hear that everyone is Ok. 

Damn. Glad you guys are ok.  Our first response of the year one of our guys hit one and bent an a-arm.  

Damn that could of been a lot worse. Glad everyone is okay and the car is underway.

That’s a bummer, but it happens to the best of us. If you do it enough, especially at speeds that we go at, it’s bound to happen. 

It’s kinda crazy the etiquette, or common sense that people lack anymore. I was leading a group of 10 buggies and we were cookin!    2 sxs’s came outta no where and played head on chicken with us. I slowed down a veered and instead of them slowing down and taking a slightly different course to avoid us, they didn’t budge, just came flying right at us.  I had to slam on my brakes and the car behind and also the car behind them almost plowed into the back of us. It was insane. If I haven’t been working so hard on my anger and temper, after they passed I woulda grabbed a gear and let them know how I felt. Insane. 

Also anybody see the SXS going down the drags the wrong way at Gordon’s over thanksgiving? Speaking of no common sense. 

Glad the car and you guys were all unscathed after it was all said and done. Those witches eyes can leave you hurtin for certain. 

Thanks everyone. We duned all day today, zero issues. 

20221231_100023.jpgSkid plate is phsued in a little

20221231_100016.jpgLight tabs are bent but an easy fix.

20221231_125935.jpg

20221231_143318.jpg

Glad you guys were all OK...Stout Car....smashing Witches Eyes flat...LOL.

It happens, awesome when you can walk away / drive away...

:cheers:

Thanks everyone. We duned all day today, zero issues. 

View attachment 54089Skid plate is phsued in a little

View attachment 54092Light tabs are bent but an easy fix.

View attachment 54090

View attachment 54091
I don’t have pics but I can personally tell you what happens to a sand car when that happens! I sent the right front shock through the a-arm breaking off the lower shock mount. The left front lower shock mount cracked. Had to tie up the front end and limp it back to camp. When I got home I repaired the mount and then plated the lower a-arms. There’s the difference in cars for you! Glad your all ok. Wondering why you couldn’t pull the front end around with the SXS? I’ve pulled many of people out with mine. It’s amazing what the rubber band can hold up to!

Back