Wide Trailer or R&R Paddles Every Time?

I have had it both ways and with out a doubt I would go with the wide trailer having to change tires every time you want in the trailer really starts to suck quickly. And the extra work for us old guys makes no sense. What’s a few more thousand at this point in your endeavor. 

I've had it both ways, and I'll say (even though it goes against you wanting my trailer :p ) with a high-end car you'd want to put away nightly/in bad weather paddles on, no question.  If it's just for the trips/to from, not putting away mid-trip it's generally no big deal.  There are exceptions, like my last stacker.  It was a "ramp style" stacker, and the SxS went up top, the sand car under it.  The paddles needed to go up on the loft in front of the ramp-lift.  So it became a sort of pain for order-of-operations.  It was easiest to change the tires on the sand car first, then use the ramp to bring them up (being extra-lazy I'd just set them on the edge of the ramp, then winch it up so it was a flat-roll to the loft).  The problem was, either you needed the RZR on the ramp first and had to sneak the paddles around it, or you needed to park the rail far enough away to drive the RZR onto the ramp after the paddles were up, but that meant backing the rail up in soft sand on load tires (aka a no-go) or a super-long winch pull.  Definitely "first world problems" but if I ever do a stacker again, everything will drive in it on the sand tires, period.  If I ever have another high-buck sand rail, it will have a trailer it drives in on the sand tires so it can be put away in inclement weather.  

-TJ

PS- I'm a terrible salesman 
Na that’s just an honest sales guy. Better to sell something to someone they know will work bs being told yeh sure it should work. 

as for tire swapping I never done it. Know others who have and at first they all said yeh no big deal then after a few trips it’s not as great anymore. I could put wider 3x3 rear arms on my car but then I’d have to swap out to rollers as I only clear by 2 inches right now on each end. 

Last edited by a moderator:
One of the biggest reasons I love my car is it fits in my toy hauler without swapping tires. Watched my buddy swap tires for a whole season. He was over it after the first trip. I agree with the cry once sentiment 

Getting close to 50 year old,  just not going to change tires anymore,  for some time had 3'' back spacing so i had to change rears, and it just was to much work for going out for a couple of days,  now it has 4.5'' spacing and goes right in,  door is 98'' wide. 

I pull up, flip up the flag and duning,  

No jack to pull out no lug nuts to deal with, 

Hit the autolevel on the trailer and pull out the BBQ with quick connect and i am at the dunes,  

I had to change all 4 & strap the front to get it in the trailer.  I didnt mind too much, but after a long weekend, it was kind of a downer having to spend the time doing that.  I had to play trailer genga to get it all stowed in the correct order so it took me about 2 hours or so, to get it all stowed.   I dont use impacts on lugs, so it took me a bit longer than other folks. 

making these adapters for my jack made it MUCH nicer.  I even used it out in the dunes when I broke a rear wheel.  Yes it scratched the powder coat, but it was solid & no fussing around with blocks & other sketchy stuff...

IMG_20191108_092312198.jpg

IMG_20191025_094420646.jpg

IMG_20191025_092805762.jpg

"I must admit that some of the cost driver is me really wanting an all aluminum trailer with lots of options."

Make sacrifices here in order to be able to just "drive right in". You will not regret it later.

I always made sure it was a drive in the trailer car width. Back space on wheels, whatever it took as mine went in every night. 

"I must admit that some of the cost driver is me really wanting an all aluminum trailer with lots of options."

Make sacrifices here in order to be able to just "drive right in". You will not regret it later.

Valid point and advice. I've gotten quotes for the higher end all aluminum and good quality steel frame trailers. Kind of surprised the price difference seems to be only about 15% depending on the steel frame builder. The all aluminum are about where I expected them to be. The surprise is that the steel frame trailers seem to have increased quite a bit and are much closer to the aluminum now. I told myself awhile back that I was done with flaking paint and rusting steel so I may hold true to that. I tend to keep things for longer periods so I usually try to buy high quality going in. Also, keep in mind that I'm in Oregon so we get more liquid sunshine here than you folks down in the desert. 

Guess I just need to pony up here and order my extra wide, all aluminum trailer. 

While I only have a lonely ole SxS, by far the worst part of my entire trip is loading up to go home at the end of the weekend. I have 1\2" of space between the wheel wells after I load up with my paddles on.  As hard as it is to have to back in my car into something with 1/4" tolerance on each side there has not been one moment where I even remotely thought about changing out my tires even though is would give me almost 4" of space.

The only time I would consider R&R tires was if all my trips were a week long or longer.  

id sell my chit and stay home and watch golf before changing tires. its like the straw that would break the camels back for me
I am with this guy! @Dockmaster quit being cheap! time is money and no headache is worth paying. what did you decide? I may sell / trade my bad ass Irok to the right person.

I am with this guy! @Dockmaster quit being cheap! time is money and no headache is worth paying. what did you decide? I may sell / trade my bad ass Irok to the right person.
I haven't pulled the trigger on anything yet. Hoping my 32' sells first. I got a quote on a new 26' Irok, It was about the same as yours. About 10k more for an Intech. I have some time so doing my homework and still hoping something decent pops up in a nice used trailer. 

I appreciate all the input and perspectives. I just finalized my spec and placed the order for a new trailer. I went with a 26' Intech with 2' wedge nose. It's pretty loaded up with options.

106 wide with 101.5" rear door. 80 gal fuel, 8' interior height, rear winch door, cabinets, all kinds of crap that pushed the cost too high  :makerain:

I appreciate all the input and perspectives. I just finalized my spec and placed the order for a new trailer. I went with a 26' Intech with 2' wedge nose. It's pretty loaded up with options.

106 wide with 101.5" rear door. 80 gal fuel, 8' interior height, rear winch door, cabinets, all kinds of crap that pushed the cost too high  :makerain:
My friend just put his 26' universal up for sale 

You will be happy with what you order. Congrats....

Valid point and advice. I've gotten quotes for the higher end all aluminum and good quality steel frame trailers. Kind of surprised the price difference seems to be only about 15% depending on the steel frame builder. The all aluminum are about where I expected them to be. The surprise is that the steel frame trailers seem to have increased quite a bit and are much closer to the aluminum now. I told myself awhile back that I was done with flaking paint and rusting steel so I may hold true to that. I tend to keep things for longer periods so I usually try to buy high quality going in. Also, keep in mind that I'm in Oregon so we get more liquid sunshine here than you folks down in the desert. 

Guess I just need to pony up here and order my extra wide, all aluminum trailer. 
Looks like you already ordered, but I have friends that've had good luck with galvanizing on the frame.  Not sure its worth the 15% cost savings though.  

Back