Which CV grease to use?

Big-Red

Reaction score
Well here goes nothing. Which CV grease is everyone using? I’ve had mixed results with every brand possible. LRS and Lincster will be all over this. I prefer Belray mixed with Certified Labs(aka mantek). That combo hasn’t let me down.  Don’t dare mix your cv grease before you fill the CV or LRS will yell at you with capital letters. Lincster will post the 12 year old photo of a cv that has 39 years of duning on it with belray/swepco mix. It’s all In fun, but let’s see some grease results. 

swepco for me in the cvs.Packed in real good might throw some un named moly grease into the boot or flange never had any issues as the 2 rarely mix it up.

I also clean and repack once a year too.That job sucks!!

I have mixed belray/swepco, straight swepco, neo, straight belray, and Mantek Elite, then called Certified labs and now use the Certified Extreme,  

Pack the CVs with Swepco Moly 101 using a needle tip then add a layer of BelRay antiseize over that on both sides of the CV. I don't premix the two. 

Been using this method for over 10 years on two Class 1 Unlimited race cars when I was a Crew Chief for Chase Motorsports as well as the 20 sets of CVs I prep annually for my clients.

I get asked a lot about the newer Swepco Moly 164 with antisieze already mixed in and it sounds great but I've been told by numerous race teams as well as my sales guy at Kartek it's best for race.car applications where the CVs get prepped multiple times during a race season.

BelRay/Swepco is also what I use in my personal car.

LOL.

Well you already stole my thunder!!!!!!!

Another vote for Belray and Swepco.

I mix both in a bucket and pump it in.

I also top off my CVs every 2 trips, I think this is just as important as using a good grease.

10-12 trips a season.

Just found my first bad star in 11 years.  I installed my current stars and cages in the summer of 2010.

So just shy of 39 years!!!!!  🙂

Just bought a new set of 930’s. I don’t remember the brand of grease I used but it was ungodly expensive to begin with and then I bought it at Kartek.... which I love.  I know I am paying top dollar there but I’m getting top dollar service from them and I have no idea what I am doing so it’s well worth the money. 

On my old VW Buggy I used the Lucas green & had no issues. 

On my PSD I started out with the Cat Extreme Application Desert for 2 seasons, then changed to Certified Premalube Xtreme. not sure what Im going to do this year....

In our Group we all do it differently:

Marv: Ricochette

Swepco 101

2D

Scott: 06 PSD

Belray MolyLube

PBS Seq

Doug: Sand Limo

Swepco/Belray

2D

Bob: 15 PSD

Certified Premalube

2D

I have this chart in an excel format, but the new forum will not allow me to upload it. 

CV Grease Specs, small, 6May21.png

CV Grease, 1, 6May21.jpg

CV Grease, 2, 6May21.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven’t had any luck with Swepco 101.  I switched to Cat Extreme Application Dessert and the CVs and holding up great.

I have had good luck with Cat desert gold , I figured 12 years ago if they use it on Caterpillars that see much more dirt & sand then any offroad car it should be good. I went 8 years without having to replace a 930 german CV. I do remove the CV's every year clean,inspect and repack. It also depends on your setup .

Johnny

Belray is hard to find right now, where are you guys getting it?

I use Redline.  I also service my CV's each season.

Cat desert gold is totally different than the new stuff they are selling. (extreme application desert.) Cat stopped selling dg,  California didn't like the ingredients, but I have two cases of it stocked up, been using that exclusively since '06 and have never replaced a  930 CV. Having a 091 Bus trans and a honda v-6 makes parts last!. Would be willing to sell a couple tubes if you need it?

Back