Where To Buy 930 CV Flange Bolts??

Dockmaster

Reaction score
Some of the threads on my CV flange bolts don’t look kosher to me so figured I would go ahead and replace them all. Where is a good place to buy new bolts? They are easy enough to find online but most don’t list what grade bolts they are. Some say hardened or aircraft quality but very few actual grade listings. Even Kartek doesn’t list a grade that I can see. Mine have DB on the heads and most pictures on ads are same. I was hoping to find better quality bolts given how my threads look. And is safety wired necessary? Mine were not but I see some bolts have the hole and recommend wiring them. 

@Dockmaster is probably fine with the above since his say DB on them, but for others using this thread: remember that your stub axle may not be tapped for 3/8-24.

I have this down the street from me.  they are super nice & I can get them in 1/4" increments (1/8th if I order them @ the counter). 

https://www.marshallshardware.com/

I also have an Ababa Bolt who has them, but I was not impressed with the quality of the bolt.  they just felt cheap. 

https://abababolt.com/

I used these kinds of lock washers, so I had to change bolt length.

image.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Ive heard of them, but when I looked @ cost & that I would have to get all new bolts, (because the PO used the high Collar Splits), I passed. 

I bought a set of these, but realized after the fact that I would have to change the bolts due to length.

image.png

Im still not sure why I was trying to fix what was not broken............... 

Allen fasteners is where i get them, i always use the Hi Colar washer and they will not come loose, 

I have this down the street from me.  they are super nice & I can get them in 1/4" increments (1/8th if I order them @ the counter). 

I also have an Ababa Bolt who has them, but I was not impressed with the quality of the bolt.  they just felt cheap. 

View attachment 58619

View attachment 58619
Split lock washers are worthless as a locking mechanism.

not sez me, sez NASA

Split lock washers are worthless as a locking mechanism.

not sez me, sez NASA
Nothing will work better than a High Colar lock washer for a CV joint, the HIgh colar has a sharp edge that cuts into the CV and the Bolt, 

Nothing will work better than a High Colar lock washer for a CV joint, the HIgh colar has a sharp edge that cuts into the CV and the Bolt, 
Here it is, out of NASA publication 1228 (yr 1990), pg 9, precursor to 5020 which is considered the gold standard for fastener design.

"Lock washers-

The typical helical spring washer shown in figure 14 is made of slightly trapezoidal wire formed into a helix of one coil so that the free height is approximately twice the thickness of the washer cross section. They are usually made of hardened carbon steel, but they are also available in aluminum, silicon, brome, phosphor-bronze, stainless steel, and K-Monel. The lockwasher serves as a spring while the bolt is being tightened. However, the washer is normally flat by the time the bolt is fully torqued. At this time it is equivalent to a solid flat washer, and its locking ability is nonexistent. In summary, a Iockwasher of this type is useless for locking."

image.png

Furthermore, I would like to add that the similar hardness of the bolt, cv, and fastener as well as the high strength of each of those prevents the sharp edge from actually meaningfully cut into the adjacent material. Definitely not on my CV's.

Mine are safety wired, although admittedly I won't be winning any beauty contests with my safety wiring skills.

Here it is, out of NASA publication 1228 (yr 1990), pg 9, precursor to 5020 which is considered the gold standard for fastener design.

"Lock washers-

The typical helical spring washer shown in figure 14 is made of slightly trapezoidal wire formed into a helix of one coil so that the free height is approximately twice the thickness of the washer cross section. They are usually made of hardened carbon steel, but they are also available in aluminum, silicon, brome, phosphor-bronze, stainless steel, and K-Monel. The lockwasher serves as a spring while the bolt is being tightened. However, the washer is normally flat by the time the bolt is fully torqued. At this time it is equivalent to a solid flat washer, and its locking ability is nonexistent. In summary, a Iockwasher of this type is useless for locking."

View attachment 58726

Furthermore, I would like to add that the similar hardness of the bolt, cv, and fastener as well as the high strength of each of those prevents the sharp edge from actually meaningfully cut into the adjacent material. Definitely not on my CV's.

Mine are safety wired, although admittedly I won't be winning any beauty contests with my safety wiring skills.
That is great for NASA, but have used HIGH COLAR on over 20 cars we have prepped for over 25 years, wire tie is great for not loosing a bolt, but our customers want them to stay tight, I have not had them come loose with a HIGH COLAR split washer, for 930 cvs they hight colar works the best, they stay tight, 

Ive heard of them, but when I looked @ cost & that I would have to get all new bolts, (because the PO used the high Collar Splits), I passed. 

I bought a set of these, but realized after the fact that I would have to change the bolts due to length.

View attachment 58628

Im still not sure why I was trying to fix what was not broken............... 
We use this style on all of the pressure plate bolts and never had a issue sure they would work great on CV's 

Back