When things go boom... Dead motor

URCLEVER

Reaction score
Well it has been an interesting and awesome season for the most part. My 2022 Funco with 440 Ci 4.0 Whipple took a crap. We were duning back from swingset just after sunset and I noticed the car was running rough. First, I thought maybe the battery or alternator was going out. Nope.  So, pulled the plugs and wires. Still ran like CHIT!

Called LRS and He came and picked up the car in the morning. Car went to Redline on Monday, by Wednesday they had the motor out and then I got the call on Thursday. 2 lifters stuck in the block. 3 total damaged. Cam is dented. The heads look good, pistons are still in good shape. So HTF does this happen when the car has barely 800 miles on it? Oil pressure was good, temps were good. Fuel was good. not a rev limiter driver so..

Have to give a shout out to @L.R.S. for always handling my transports and making it happen. @Grant@Funco for always giving me great support and building a bad a$$ car. And Mike@redline for getting the block torn apart fast and hoping for a full rebuild in time for the regatta!  :bow1:

Forced induction is hard on valvetrain parts, especially if you're revving it high.  Combine that with sand getting everywhere and things like this can happen.  

Bummer dude.  I'd  chalk that up to "Race Car" or "Sand Tax"

Plenty of other ways for things to go bad but when its like that it just sucks.

That is what I figured. High performance vehicle! Just trying to see if was something else I may have missed or ..

Well it has been an interesting and awesome season for the most part. My 2022 Funco with 440 Ci 4.0 Whipple took a crap. We were duning back from swingset just after sunset and I noticed the car was running rough. First, I thought maybe the battery or alternator was going out. Nope.  So, pulled the plugs and wires. Still ran like CHIT!

Called LRS and He came and picked up the car in the morning. Car went to Redline on Monday, by Wednesday they had the motor out and then I got the call on Thursday. 2 lifters stuck in the block. 3 total damaged. Cam is dented. The heads look good, pistons are still in good shape. So HTF does this happen when the car has barely 800 miles on it? Oil pressure was good, temps were good. Fuel was good. not a rev limiter driver so..

Have to give a shout out to @L.R.S. for always handling my transports and making it happen. @Grant@Funco for always giving me great support and building a bad a$$ car. And Mike@redline for getting the block torn apart fast and hoping for a full rebuild in time for the regatta!  :bow1:
alper motor correct ?

You are certainly working with the best of the best to get this turned around.

Always happy to transport your stuff man.  Sorry to hear about the engine, was hoping it was something simple.  That being said it could be much worse.

Is Redline recommending you take a little boost out of it or anything like that? I understand the concept of race tax or sand tax but if memory serves you didn’t build that motor to crazy hp or anything. Aren’t you like 800 hp on 91 gas? Or did you add more than that? 

Sounds a little premature to me. Any oil aeration or starving issues found during the tear down?

Did redline have any feedback on why it happened?  

seems crazy for that low of use / hours unless you've been pegging it at the drags for 90% of those miles 

Is Redline recommending you take a little boost out of it or anything like that? I understand the concept of race tax or sand tax but if memory serves you didn’t build that motor to crazy hp or anything. Aren’t you like 800 hp on 91 gas? Or did you add more than that? 
I had it built and tuned for reliability. 91 octane with either boostane or mix in 110 for insurance. I am not a racer guy. I think last tune at the beginning of season was done a bit more fatter for reliability. IDK what happened... The sand won again.

Sounds a little premature to me. Any oil aeration or starving issues found during the tear down?
I will have to ask but Mike did not mention it and he was a lil dumbfounded by it as well. Parts just wear out. 

Did redline have any feedback on why it happened?  

seems crazy for that low of use / hours unless you've been pegging it at the drags for 90% of those miles 
I dont do the drags. Dune and maybe hit the hill less than 10 times all season. I am an observer of the racers. :70:

Is it though? Logistics, time frame, 2nd opinions, taillight warranties etc I'm guessing it crossed his mind but the regatta is priority I suppose lol
I still think so. 
I always went back to my builders, whether it be the engine, trans or overall car etc. and got great support. 
Just my.02.

Back