What's your favorite Funco?

Some of the changes from the Gen. 3 to Gen 4

1.  More travel, from 17" front to 18" and 18" rear to 20"

2.  New style airbags w/ rubber bumpers internal to the bag

3.  Uniball trailing arm pivots (from Derlin bushings)

4.  Longer axels w/ 5.5" backspace wheels so car will still fit in a trailer

5.  Better power steering rack.

6.  4" longer wheel base

7.  And a bunch of cosmetic stuff

8.  Midboard hubs (12 bolts) on the Gen4 instead of microstubs (3 bolts), which accomodates the longer axles to allow for more travel without abusing the CVs.

9. Better radiator setup, uses a cradle instead of hardmounts

10.  C&R radiator instead of Ron Davis radiator

11.  A-arms are bigger tubing, heavier duty

12.  Larger front spindle axles

13. The overall length is about 6 to 12" longer than Gen3, depending on Subaru or V8

14. Bigger gas tank, hold 3 more gallons

15. Cast iron rear suspension pivots

16. All cars have Uniball pivots on the rear($250 option)

17. Gas gauge for gas tank, instead of visi-gauge mounted on tank.

18. Billet rear view mirror
Some of these changes were phased in. My Gen 4 came with bushings on the trailing arms, a Ron Davis radiator, no cradle radiator mount, and 5 bolt mid board hub mounts.

what's the difference between the GTU and the GTX? I was on the fence about getting a SxS but realized that I truly want a sand Rail and see the vids of how they handle, I am sold on a Funco. Time to do some research for what I really want and how I plan to drive it. I am leaning towards a Long Travel, 4-seater pushed by a healthy V8 with a SC and a sequential slushbox, an air ride system, and King 3.5s all 4-corners as I would also like to launch some jumps.

what's the difference between the GTU and the GTX? I was on the fence about getting a SxS but realized that I truly want a sand Rail and see the vids of how they handle, I am sold on a Funco. Time to do some research for what I really want and how I plan to drive it. I am leaning towards a Long Travel, 4-seater pushed by a healthy V8 with a SC and a sequential slushbox, an air ride system, and King 3.5s all 4-corners as I would also like to launch some jumps.
There's a six figure swing between a nice SxS and a Funco as you describe....

There's a six figure swing between a nice SxS and a Funco as you describe....
I am ok with that price difference. I will be a hospitalist here shortly and all my other toys are paid for. Do you know the difference between the GTU and the GTX. 

I appreciate any and all knowledge as Funco's website is kind of sparse on detailed specs. 

I am ok with that price difference. I will be a hospitalist here shortly and all my other toys are paid for. Do you know the difference between the GTU and the GTX. 
I think the GTX vs GTU difference is the rear width. The GTX is 97-98” wide and has 3” rear bypass shocks.  The GTU is 3-4” wider and has 3.5” rear bypass shocks. I have a GTX and love it, it fits in my stacker trailer without changing rear tires. 

Last edited by a moderator:
My favorite is one of dem Funco’s that are $250k+… probably the best slot car on the dunes IMO.

abc

Gtu is a 4 seat wide trailing arm car (102") with paddles on and can except 3.5 shocks. GTX is standard trailing arm (98") with paddles and has 3.0 shocks. there is a different tail section that I believe can go either way as a option at build time. GT series cars are fiberglass body.  G6 cars are alum flat side cars.

Gtu is a 4 seat wide trailing arm car (102") with paddles on and can except 3.5 shocks. GTX is standard trailing arm (98") with paddles and has 3.0 shocks. there is a different tail section that I believe can go either way as a option at build time. GT series cars are fiberglass body.  G6 cars are alum flat side cars.
Thank you so much for the clarification. I very much appreciate your time in responding with this useful information. I think I am leaning more towards the GTU. I am hoping to receive some correspondence via email from Funco re getting on the list and ordering a car. 

Thank you so much for the clarification. I very much appreciate your time in responding with this useful information. I think I am leaning more towards the GTU. I am hoping to receive some correspondence via email from Funco re getting on the list and ordering a car. 
Changing tires was a deal breaker for me. I sweet talked Grand into building me a GTF with 3.5's and still 98" wide

Changing tires was a deal breaker for me. I sweet talked Grand into building me a GTF with 3.5's and still 98" wide
I live up in Oregon and it is a 45min drive to Florence dunes so I will just get a flatbed trailer like the 1022 Aluma trailer that is 100" wide.  I checked your profile to see your Sand Rail but I am not up to speed on locating photo galleries. 

Side note, Grant is such a chill guy. I had a great conversation with him until a Trauma came in and I had to go back to work instead of looking at all the Funco photos I could find. 

By far the best one I've owned. This car in on rails.  Pulls harder than all of them and sets you back in the seat as the dunes fly by. 

This is a drivers car. Its not meant to be put in third gear and cruise all over.  It will lug around in 3rd but it likes the boost and performs well in the 5500-6500 rpm range with rpm to spare.  Its like my first hustler.  Like being on a banshee and staying on the pipe.  Grab a gear and run it up then bang the next gear and goooooooooo.

funco sand.jpg

By far the best one I've owned. This car in on rails.  Pulls harder than all of them and sets you back in the seat as the dunes fly by. 

This is a drivers car. Its not meant to be put in third gear and cruise all over.  It will lug around in 3rd but it likes the boost and performs well in the 5500-6500 rpm range with rpm to spare.  Its like my first hustler.  Like being on a banshee and staying on the pipe.  Grab a gear and run it up then bang the next gear and goooooooooo.

View attachment 86653
that is one seriously gorgeous car!!! What model is it? Please forgive my newness to all things Funco. It looks to be a 2-seater. 

~Andy

that is one seriously gorgeous car!!! What model is it? Please forgive my newness to all things Funco. It looks to be a 2-seater. 

~Andy

Here is the full write up on it.

Started out as a 2007 Funco Hustler.  I've taken it to its current build as a Mini G52 2022/2023 build.

Here is the full write up on it.

Started out as a 2007 Funco Hustler.  I've taken it to its current build as a Mini G52 2022/2023 build.
just finished with all 20pgs and it was a fun journey to see what you went through to build that beast. The videos were definitely icing on the cake. Was heartbroken with the blown head gasket but you remedied it quickly. Thank you for the link to this build. 

~Andy

just finished with all 20pgs and it was a fun journey to see what you went through to build that beast. The videos were definitely icing on the cake. Was heartbroken with the blown head gasket but you remedied it quickly. Thank you for the link to this build. 

~Andy
Thanks for following along and welcome to the site. 

Back