Whats a COMPLETE Turbo Honda setup worth?

And now a different way to look at this situation...

When we had the J35A4 in our car we loved it, it was fast and nimble and was trouble free, my wife drove the car also and had fun. Then I got the V8 itch and made the swap, new trans too, it was a $25,000 itch and that was building the engine myself (Im a professional mechanic so no big deal) and having my metal shop buddy do the metal work to make it fit. Now we have a car that is much heavier and harder to drive, so much so that my wife will no longer get behind the wheel. Sure it is fast and all but so what, the V8 isn't as fun to drive as the Honda was. I would go back to a Honda if it was possible.

If you need to do something to the car over the summer, add bypasses to the front with bigger spindles and boxed arms. 

When you start doing engine swaps it never stops there, there is always more that needs to be done. Your suspension will be inadequate with a few hundred more pounds on the ass end. And you LS guys, I don't care what the weight differences are, it's a few hundred pounds at least. 

Last edited by a moderator:
My 2 seat Chenowth with a Subi weighed 2240 lbs.  After the ls swap with new 934 CV's, axles, beefed up frame, new midboards, bigger radiator, and 12" to 14" fans, new filters, bigger fuel pump, and bigger front tires weighed in at: (see Pic Below)

OH yeah, and I can not thank Jason Alper ENOUGH for all of the fantastic fabrication from, building me an awesome LS3, tabbing the frame for the new Trans (2d weighs basically the same as an Ebox) helping me to install and re-wire the Holley ECM, converting my rear A-arms for the new Midboards, redoing the back of my frame, and tabbing the frame for the new LS with custom motor mounts, basically giving me his new radiator (Thank you very much), and oh yeah totally re-doing the mounting location and putting up with my incessant questions and just being a total pain in the ass, because my background is an Electrician, not fabrication at all!!!!!  I know enough to be a hindrance, and that is putting it nicely LOL.  I almost forgot, replumbing the cooling system with AN lines and fittings instead of the crap looking water pipes, and the new steering box etc...  I know I am forgetting  several things but Thanks Jason!!!!!!

As far as how the car drives, it is fantastic!!!!  I did my first wheelies (addictive and a blast), the simplist single word I could use to describe it is EFFORTLESS!!!!  Before the LS it was a workout to even try and keep up with the fast guys, impossible to keep up Jason, he had to convert to driving miss daisy so as not to leave in the dust.  Now, I can pick 3rd gear even fourth if I want and just lug the motor down to 1200 RPM, and just stand on whenever I want and it just performs.  The other great part is before I had to run 110 race fuel and now I just mix in 1 gal of 110 to 5 gal. of 91, just for piece of mind and the car actually gets better mileage with the LS than the Turbo Subi.

20230925_221054 (Large).jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Cool thread.  Enjoying all of the info.

My 2 seat Chenowth with a Subi weighed 2240 lbs.  After the ls swap with new 934 CV's, axles, beefed up frame, new midboards, bigger radiator, and 12" to 14" fans, new filters, bigger fuel pump, and bigger front tires weighed in at: (see Pic Below)

OH yeah, and I can not thank Jason Alper ENOUGH for all of the fantastic fabrication from, building me an awesome LS3, tabbing the frame for the new Trans (2d weighs basically the same as an Ebox) helping me to install and re-wire the Holley ECM, converting my rear A-arms for the new Midboards, redoing the back of my frame, and tabbing the frame for the new LS with custom motor mounts, basically giving me his new radiator (Thank you very much), and oh yeah totally re-doing the mounting location and putting up with my incessant questions and just being a total pain in the ass, because my background is an Electrician, not fabrication at all!!!!!  I know enough to be a hindrance, and that is putting it nicely LOL.  I almost forgot, replumbing the cooling system with AN lines and fittings instead of the crap looking water pipes, and the new steering box etc...  I know I am forgetting  several things but Thanks Jason!!!!!!

As far as how the car drives, it is fantastic!!!!  I did my first wheelies (addictive and a blast), the simplist single word I could use to describe it is EFFORTLESS!!!!  Before the LS it was a workout to even try and keep up with the fast guys, impossible to keep up Jason, he had to convert to driving miss daisy so as not to leave in the dust.  Now, I can pick 3rd gear even fourth if I want and just lug the motor down to 1200 RPM, and just stand on whenever I want and it just performs.  The other great part is before I had to run 110 race fuel and now I just mix in 1 gal of 110 to 5 gal. of 91, just for piece of mind and the car actually gets better mileage with the LS than the Turbo Subi.

View attachment 101432
Who does this guy think he is coming in here speaking factually, and with proof none the less!! Very impressive dude, congrats! 

I, for one, since the very inception of the thought of actually owning a car let alone building it from scratch, I opted to only go LS1 2D and nothing less. I think I'm pushing around 410hp all stock. The pleasure and thrill of jamming the go pedal is up there next to sex! I can't imagine stroker motor or LS3 results etc. Dang! Need to go for more! 

A little late to the post but I did the Turbo Honda to LS Swap a couple of summers ago.  I sold the full engine package ready to drop into another frame for $6K. 

Doing the LS swap took up more $$ than I expected, but you basically rework everything from fuel system to cooling system. I have a cammed LS1, tuned by Tim at Xact Dyno and I would take it over my turbo Honda any day. No more E85, no more waiting on boost, no more "oh chit" downshifting and praying. The LS torque makes it so much easier to drive and have fun. The weight difference isn't all that much, especially if you have a large intercooler and such. 

I say do it!  Go LS.

Back