Whats a COMPLETE Turbo Honda setup worth?

mc22

Reaction score
Thinking of selling my turbo honda setup to build an LS,  I dont have a good reason to, power wise this setup will be as much as my 2D can take already. But im getting a little bored and like the sound of a V8! so I am curious what I can expect to get out of this complete setup if i choose to go V8..

1.  JDM J35A4  (3 seasons)
  2. Brian Crower Rods 
  3. New OEM pistons and rings (installed over summer) rings are properly gapped for 15psi. 
  4. Supertech valve springs (for 7k rev limit) 
  5. AEM Series 2 ecm 
  6. 550 cc injectors. (cant remeber brand but they use the OEM connector)
  7. AEM Water meth injection
  8. AEM UEGO wideband gauge that is tied into ECM 
  9. Tom Face headers cerakote black
  10. Garret T04E journal bearing turbo AND a CX racing ceramic ball bearing turbo with billet wheel. CX curently instlled to see if the china copy performs as well as the garret. (it does) 
  11.  2.5" intercooler with piping and BOV 
  12. CBR oil cooler with sandwich plate thermostat (not pictured)
  13.  3" intake tube that bolts to engine with AEM Dryflo filter
  14. MAC boost sol. 
  15. 180 degree misimoto fan switch 
  16. Hi Torque starter that clears the honda water housing
  17. Walbro fuel pump, aeromotive pre and post fuel filter, Summit FPR.
  18. Complete set of Glowshift gauges to monitor everything including fuel pressure and oil temp. (its all wired in with the engine harness so may as well include!)
  19. Engine block is 2 part paint. Complete intake and oil pan are powder coated, all piping powder coated. 
  20. IF someone has to have the radiator we can talk about it but id like to keep it and the fans.

im pretty sure thats the majority of it. over the last summer the powder coating, rods, new pistons, valve springs and water meth was installed but I havent sent it to the dyno yet so it has not been filled or turned on. Currently tuned to 91 pump gas with 9psi in high boost, it put 378 at the wheels. low boost is spring pressure at around 4psi and it was just over 300hp. I got the rods and valve springs so I could turn it up to 450hp and increase the rev limit and still be reliable, just havent sent to dyno yet. I have an appontment next month and will update these numbers once done.  

Couple photos just after summers build: (3 trips since photos were taken she still looks good!) 

Engine1.jpg

Engine3.jpg

Engine2.jpg

Engine4.jpg

That is a NICE Set UP !!! Id love to put that in a street legal manx and cruise pismo everyday!!!!

GLWTS !!!

:poule:

That's a tough one. I would only expect to get $4k'ish out of it. Not because it's not worth more, but because you got people looking at LS's right above that price range. (And the market absolutely sucks right now)

Good luck! It's a great package! Personally, I would just keep it....

Around $5k as a turnkey package.

I would just keep it as well, especially with the 2d. If you upgrade to a S4 / S5 trans, then go LS or do a slight bore on the J35 block with the CSS insert. Turn up the boost on 110/E85, and you'll have reliable 700+ hp

Good looking engine and car!

CSS.JPG

I would keep it and turn up the boost. Swap out those injectors for some 1K units and run E85. You can make 500HP easily at only 10-11 pounds of boost.

That dyno chart is of a similar built J35A4 but with forged pistons, 1000cc injectors running on E85

Green line = 10 PSI boost

Red line = 12 PSI boost

yellow line = 14 PSI boost

car was dynoed on a hub dyno.

Thanks for all the response, I was thinking around the 5K mark would be pretty good number, but man that’s hard to swallow with what I’ve got in it. 
I think I’ll get to the Dyno on the water meth and see if that changes my mind. 
it truly is plenty fast in High boost right now, but another 50-70hp would probably keep me happy for another couple seasons! 

First I'll offer that you should have your head checked.....you've done the hard part.

Then price out what any variation of LS would cost to make the "same" HP you're at now so you can have the "sound".  Secondly, figure what it would probably cost you to build an "LS" that would make the HP your setup is capable of by simply turning up the boost to what it's built for..

@J Alper how much is a legit 600hp crank engine cost to build from scratch, drop in...front accessories, everything?.. Now add in the engine management.+$2k probably.

Thanks for all the response, I was thinking around the 5K mark would be pretty good number, but man that’s hard to swallow with what I’ve got in it. 
I think I’ll get to the Dyno on the water meth and see if that changes my mind. 
it truly is plenty fast in High boost right now, but another 50-70hp would probably keep me happy for another couple seasons! 
How much does your car weigh? I will say once I reached that 500 whp number it’s a whole different animal. I’m sold on the Honda. 

First I'll offer that you should have your head checked.....you've done the hard part.

Then price out what any variation of LS would cost to make the "same" HP you're at now so you can have the "sound".  Secondly, figure what it would probably cost you to build an "LS" that would make the HP your setup is capable of by simply turning up the boost to what it's built for..

@J Alper how much is a legit 600hp crank engine cost to build from scratch, drop in...front accessories, everything?.. Now add in the engine management.+$2k probably.
Oh yeah I know it’s not going to be cheap, I think I am going to keep the Honda, probably still need a head check… 

Haven’t weighed it yet, it’s a buggy works chassis, don’t think it’s that heavy but do need to get it on some scales. 

Haven’t weighed it yet, it’s a buggy works chassis, don’t think it’s that heavy but do need to get it on some scales. 
I bet my car is probably close to yours. It’s a rocket in both the dunes and the flats.  I think you will be very happy once the boost is turned up. I think it would be different if you were choosing and you were starting from scratch. I personally think a turbo Honda and 2D are a great combo. Just my 2 cents 

Last edited by a moderator:
Just did HE-Electric car, he was going to do a write up,  he was ready to sell the car and do a SXS he had a 2 seat with a 2D and a Subi Turbo,  I did a factory LS3 no mods with holley and now he said it is the most fun thing he has ever drove,  said it is effortless and can go from idle to full torque with no issues, He had it turned up to about 600 Crank on the subi E85, and the LS3 Is 510hp at the crank on 91 octane,  Nathan says it feels like twice the power due to the torque is also at 500lbs

It the Torque is why everyone love a V8 in the desert,  

I think i have 2 blocks left one is bored .015 it can only be a NA block,  

Real LS1 block with Ls7 4.00 crank and Eagle rods should make 1.55hp per CI,   so 383x1.5  575HP at the crank and around 550 Torque,  this would be a budget stroker, 

Ad Small Bore LS7 heads and fast intake, that should get it to 1.65  630hp and 630 torque,  

base 383 with the parts i have should be for a long block, 

I have 1 motor left of good used crank, new rods and new pistons with ls2 head on a ls1 block with oil pan and valve covers,  for $5800 no miles, would have to assemble it. 

Stroker 383 GD Member only $5800. 

Ok, went to the dyno and the numbers were good after some work. Come to find out the aeromotive 10 micron post fuel filter I installed is a bit too restrictive for the 6an setup I had, it was replaced with a 40 micron and was good to go. The AEM water meth kit I received didn’t have the small pintle for the injector so it was just flooding the engine at the top end and no matter what we did couldn’t get it clean up on the top end, the injector was just too big. I have a smaller one now but will require another trip to Xact dyno. 
At the end of the session at 10 psi it made 410 at the hub on 91. He would have gone a to 12psi if we could get the water meth working, took the car out over the sand scramble weekend and it ran great.
in the time between my last post and that trip I acquired a Turn Key built LS1 complete…computer, headers, adapter and clutch complete.. for a price I couldn’t pass up. now I’m a bit torn But here is what I’m thinking:

ill sell the complete engine package as described above including a literal 1 trip 2d transaxle for 13k. Trans may have one more trip this weekend if I can get Friday off… 

if I can get this out of it I’ll put it towards a bigger trans and build this LS, if not I’ll use the engine in a pickup I’m building. 

if there is any interest let me know, I’ll keep it in the car so it can be tested. I’ll also post in the for sale section.

I’ve seen a few guys go from turbo Honda setups to mild ls setups that make less power, and they all say the cars feel faster and are more fun to drive, like alper said, it’s the torque! The ls setups are simpler and parts are more common out there if you need to fix anything! If you can sell that setup and get an s4 you’ll be super happy! 

You might do better $$ if you separate it up a bit.  A guy with a turbo kit and popped engine might be interested in the engine and AEM.  While another guy my just want the turbo kit stuff.

If you want to make a solid 525 hp at 5500rpm and 500 torque a factory LS3 with Camshaft

stroke the LS3 to a 416 CNC ported heads, and that will make a solid 680hp and 650 torque, with a torque curve coming in at 1100rpm 

Full 416 drop in with Holley will most likely run around 12-18K  depending on What heads and how much bling on the outside,  

Sky the limit with a LS,  Billet Valve covers, billet timing and valley covers, billet oil pans, billet intakes,  Chrome this and That,  Can be a very fun motor to bling out,  

Back