What are your top 3 things you like about a model of UTV

NIKAL

Reaction score

Last edited by a moderator:
1. I loved the DCT in my Honda Talon but hated most everything else. 

2. Love the HP in my Can Am

3. Love the suspension and handling in my Can Am

Love the Ride Command on the Polaris and wish all would come with something like the Ride Command.  The Ride Command is so awesome on group rides where people get spread out.

Love the power and reliability of the Can Am X3

Love the suspension of the X3 once it has been re-done by a capable shock tuner.  I also like the that the live valve stuff is getting better with each generation. 

2016 YXZ

1. Good - it's been rock-solid reliable for 3500 hard  miles.

2 Good - the engine runs a lot like a 125 two-stroke (it's got a reflash and an exhaust, otherwise stock). It's fun keeping it on the pipe.

3. Bad - the notorious rear end "donkey kick". It's much better after Weller suspension mods, but it's still there.

2017 YXZ1000 SS SE. Love the handling.  About as close to a funco as you can get in a SxS IMO.  It does take some $$ to reach their full potential.  Knowing what I do now; I would get a 3 pedal. Mine has the X2 shocks which are pretty amazing (for a YXZ).

2012 xp900.  On tight, tight trails (oregon quad trails) in and around pines @ Winchester Bay, nothing can hang with a xp900.

2020 turbo S. Great sight lines when duning fast, reliable, fast (stage 2 pump gas tune). damn good suspension out of the box.

Love the urgonomics of my rzr turbo s

Like the aftermarket support on rzr

Really like the shocks on cam am x3 xrs

05 & 07 Rhino #1 & #2 same as NIKAL, #3 it allowed us to transition from a beam car sand rail to more adventures. Owned them for 12yrs never needed more HP or suspension till the XP1000s and X3s showed up.

18 Wildcat XX #1 now "rhino speed" is comfortable with the amazing suspension design, #2 large cab and storage, #3 getting called a SPEED UTV!

Wife's X3 Pros: Always there when I blow my chit up

Cons: she put a Hello Kitty sticker on it to keep me from stealing it when my chit blows up.

2016 YXZ

1. Good - it's been rock-solid reliable for 3500 hard  miles.

2 Good - the engine runs a lot like a 125 two-stroke (it's got a reflash and an exhaust, otherwise stock). It's fun keeping it on the pipe.

3. Bad - the notorious rear end "donkey kick". It's much better after Weller suspension mods, but it's still there.
Friend and I stole another buddy's YXZ to see how it did.  We were laughing our asses off smashing through the whoops with it kicking like a mule every time.  Could barely see, LOL.

A couple of years ago I got to ride in a 2 seat Polaris General XP. It was really nice.

I liked the interior and always felt Polaris should have put the Generals dash & center console in the RZR. It has finished doors & very usable bed. From what I understand the engine is the same 1000cc as the NA RZR. 

The one I road in had 30 inch tires and ST spring kit, but all stock. If I lived in the North or somewhere else besides the desert regions, I would totally buy a General. Our friends live in Kingman AZ and it’s actually great to have there too. They have it licensed and another cool feature is the the transmission has turf mode, so it turns easier and does not tear up the tires driving on the streets. 
I have a 4 seat General with 30’s and ST RS2 shocks, rides like a dream, the doors are legit, I use it for hunting and trail riding. 

1.  Like not having a CVT.

2.  Like not having a belt.

3.  Like shifting and keeping the rpm's near 10,000.

YXZ

1. Wet Sand and 2-wheel drive, The car would drift for a mile if you let it

2. Loading it, Narrow car , Wide Trailer can't get much easier

3. The doors closing like a normal car, Even if you forget to latch the door it's going to close

X3

1. Loud pedal, It makes me giggle still

2. Turbo, I know it is connected to the loud pedal but after driving that YXZ it makes a big difference

3. Suspension that doesn't feel like I am off to the rodeo

I have a 2021 Honda Talon R with Fox live valve shocks and a Jackson Racing Turbo. 
I openly admit that there were times last season when I wished that I still had my SU Sand Pro 2 mid-engine LS car. 
I like the DCT transmission. It operates in automatic or manual.  In auto you also have a Sport mode that has more aggressive shift points. You can also upshift or downshift with the paddle shifters in both automatic modes. In manual mode you use the paddles to shift. 
The Yamaha is also a good machine but you always have to use the paddle shifters. 
The constant drone of the CVT and broken belts kept me away from Polaris and CanAm. I guess I’m just old school and like to hear shifting. 
Next is visibility. I like to be able to see where I’m going and I’ve driven all 4 models in the dunes. I think the Yamaha has the best visibility then the Honda Talon followed by the Polaris and then CanAm. 
Third is suspension. After getting the Eibach spring kit (almost) the Talon with the Fox Live Valve works very well. I’ll admit that it’s not as good as my last sand car but I’m very happy with it’s performance. 
If there was a fourth, I’d say proven reliability.

Reactions: FOG
YXZ

1. Wet Sand and 2-wheel drive, The car would drift for a mile if you let it

2. Loading it, Narrow car , Wide Trailer can't get much easier

3. The doors closing like a normal car, Even if you forget to latch the door it's going to close

X3

1. Loud pedal, It makes me giggle still

2. Turbo, I know it is connected to the loud pedal but after driving that YXZ it makes a big difference

3. Suspension that doesn't feel like I am off to the rodeo
Agree x3's turbo.

2018 X3 

(1) Car I could actually purchase and put in my garage.

(2) More fun in the dunes than I thought it would be. Still does not hold a candle compared to the Funco. (I took it one time to the dunes)

Cons. I have killed two CV boots and in turn destroyed a CV and axle at the dunes. Hard boot is a Very poor design if you ask me. Also front end is weak and needs lots of aftermarket crap to make it strong. Stock valving and springs suck so I had ST do their deal. Works really good. Only 850 miles on my car. So many other things going on In my life I just have not used it much. With fuel prices and some other issues this year I may be doing a lot more desert than dunes.

Back