Weekend Warrior Fifth Wheel Remodel

acefuture

Reaction score
Bought this 03 SLC 3505 from a family friend recently. I got a great deal on it, only catch was I had to drive up to Coos Bay Oregon to pick it up. So did 42 hours of seat time and 2100 miles with a buddy and went and snagged it. He bought it off of another family friend who custom ordered it, so it has the layout we wanted. Full size bathroom and shower, with what I thought was enough garage space for the car (but it's not, so have to remove wheel wells). It was very well taken care of, never overloaded, and all maintenance done on time. Initially I thought I would just pull the bathroom carpet out, and use it for the season. But as soon as I got home, the lady decided we are doing a full remodel now. I should have known better. So it's getting the full treatment. I haven't found many writeups on remodels of these units, other than sporadic facebook group posts and a few unfinished threads elsewhere, so figured I use this as a place to post all my photos.

For this season it will get: New floors, complete paint throughout including walls, new hardware, new faucets, toilet, bidet (mandatory), tie down points, wheel well covers, preventative wall sag brackets and bracing, new upholstery, graphics delete, buff, ceramic coat. And eventually I will fix the minor delam on the front cap. Roof is rock solid, but i'll reseal it as well.

A couple weeks ago picking it up:

IMG_2703.JPG

IMG_2704.JPG

Hit the road over to the 5, up through Shasta:

IMG_2710.JPG

And landed in Santa Cruz to camp for a couple of nights which was awesome:

IMG_2717.JPG

And made it home in 2 days:

IMG_2734.JPG

Some before interior photos:

IMG_1396.jpg

IMG_1397.jpg

IMG_1398.jpg

IMG_1405 2.jpg

First order of business was gut it and pull the carpet out.

IMG_2767.JPG

'IMG_2772.JPG

IMG_2774.JPG

Next was patch all old holes, and there were a LOT

IMG_2796.JPG

IMG_2795.JPG

IMG_2797.JPG

Taped off and laid the primer. Initially I planned on spraying, but once I started taping I realized it would take me 3x longer to tape everything correctly than it would be to just roll. 

IMG_2815.JPG

I laid my first coat of paint on the walls last night. Forgot to take photos. Will take some more after this weekends progress. Hopefully will be done by early october

Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome project, thanks for documenting & sharing. 

I remember you remodeled another toy hauler and it came out great. Looking forward to see what you guys do here.

I am really curious on the process of the cabinets and type of paint you used. Did you sand everything? I have a 2016 genesis starting to show some wear and I want to redo the cabinets. 

I am really curious on the process of the cabinets and type of paint you used. Did you sand everything? I have a 2016 genesis starting to show some wear and I want to redo the cabinets. 
Yep. Light sanded everything with 220. Primed with Kilz, and then topcoat with Behr Alkyd which is made for cabinets

Yep. Light sanded everything with 220. Primed with Kilz, and then topcoat with Behr Alkyd which is made for cabinets
Thank you looks like I am going to be busy here pretty soon. It should be cheaper to remodel than buy new lol. 

Got the majority of the floor laid over the weekend. Went with sheet vinyl. In hindsight I would have gone LVP if I did it again. The sheet isn't quite thick enough to cover up floor blemishes beneath, and even if I put a sponge pad below it, it wouldn't be perfect. But it does look great and really updates the look of the trailer. I need to go back and trim everything with quarter round on the floor/walls and 2" L bracket for stairs and corners. It definitely looks unfinished at the moment, but should look great once all trim is done.

IMG_2964.JPG
IMG_2966.JPG

Got the majority of the floor laid over the weekend. Went with sheet vinyl. In hindsight I would have gone LVP if I did it again. The sheet isn't quite thick enough to cover up floor blemishes beneath, and even if I put a sponge pad below it, it wouldn't be perfect. But it does look great and really updates the look of the trailer. I need to go back and trim everything with quarter round on the floor/walls and 2" L bracket for stairs and corners. It definitely looks unfinished at the moment, but should look great once all trim is done.

View attachment 120182
View attachment 120183
I don't see my rear bunk in this photo!

Back