Variable radiator fan speed controller

Lingenfelter VSFM-002 Variable Speed DC Brushless Fan & Pump PWM Controller

he Lingenfelter VSFM-002 is designed to provide the PWM speed control signal needed to operate variable speed OEM and aftermarket DC brushless cooling fans and fluid circulation pumps. The speed can be controlled based on a temperature sensor input signal or a simple switched input for on/off type control.

The VSFM-002 can be used to control primary engine cooling fans, auxiliary engine cooling or other fluid cooling fans or to control variable speed pumps for engine coolant, intercooler fluid or other related fluid circulation applications.

- Temperature based fan speed control of DC brushless
variable speed OEM and aftermarket fans
- Temperature based pump speed control of DC brushless variable speed OEM and aftermarket electric water pumps for engine cooling, intercooler fluid cooling etc.
- Simple direct speed % control of DC brushless devices using switched input activation

Features:
- Two sets of easily adjustable device control switches
- Start Temp option sets the initial on temperature for the devices
- Max Output Temp option sets the temperature for the maximum device speed
- The VSFM-002 provides a linear output speed control between these two settings
- The same switches are also used to set speed% in direct device speed control mode
- Works with OEM and aftermarket DC brushless electric fans & coolant pumps made or sold by: - GM, Spal, Bosch, Cooper Industries, Pierburg, TechAFX
- Can be used to control multiple devices when all devices are the same input type
- Over-ride input available for AC system related activation, manual over-ride etc
- High setting output indicator to trigger a warning light or auxiliary systems
- 0-5 volt output of temperature sensor or fan/pump target speed %
- Send temperature or pump speed to an ECM, data acquisition system or a gauge
- Works with many OEM and aftermarket IAT, ECT, EGT, TFT and other sensors, including: GM IAT, ECT, TFT and oil temperature sensors
- AEM, Autometer and other similar fluid temperature sensors
- Bosch OEM ECT, IAT and other temperature sensors
- GM, AC Delco, AEM, Bosch, GE EGT and other PT200 RTD sensors

Benefits:
- Allows almost any vehicle to use the new high output variable speed DC brushless cooling fans and fluid circulation pumps. Can be incorporated into aftermarket cooling systems
- Provides a wide temperature control range allowing these fans to be used in a broad range of applications without having to purchase different sensors or modules for each application
- Uses readily available and durable OEM or common PT200 platinum RTD sensors
- Control DC brushless fans and pumps without a temperature sensor via direct speed % control

Specifications:
- Activation is adjustable from 0-350 degree F in 10 degree increments for IAT, ECT, TFT
- Activation is adjustable from 0-990 degree C in 10 degree increments for EGT/RTD sensor 0 to 1800 deg F
- Speed percentage adjustable in 1% increments when in speed control mode
- High temperature glass filled Nylon enclosure & fully epoxy potted circuit board for increased durability
View Instructions
View attachment 103734
Thanks for the info and link

Lingenfelter VSFM-002 Variable Speed DC Brushless Fan & Pump PWM Controller

he Lingenfelter VSFM-002 is designed to provide the PWM speed control signal needed to operate variable speed OEM and aftermarket DC brushless cooling fans and fluid circulation pumps. The speed can be controlled based on a temperature sensor input signal or a simple switched input for on/off type control.

The VSFM-002 can be used to control primary engine cooling fans, auxiliary engine cooling or other fluid cooling fans or to control variable speed pumps for engine coolant, intercooler fluid or other related fluid circulation applications.

- Temperature based fan speed control of DC brushless
variable speed OEM and aftermarket fans
- Temperature based pump speed control of DC brushless variable speed OEM and aftermarket electric water pumps for engine cooling, intercooler fluid cooling etc.
- Simple direct speed % control of DC brushless devices using switched input activation

Features:
- Two sets of easily adjustable device control switches
- Start Temp option sets the initial on temperature for the devices
- Max Output Temp option sets the temperature for the maximum device speed
- The VSFM-002 provides a linear output speed control between these two settings
- The same switches are also used to set speed% in direct device speed control mode
- Works with OEM and aftermarket DC brushless electric fans & coolant pumps made or sold by: - GM, Spal, Bosch, Cooper Industries, Pierburg, TechAFX
- Can be used to control multiple devices when all devices are the same input type
- Over-ride input available for AC system related activation, manual over-ride etc
- High setting output indicator to trigger a warning light or auxiliary systems
- 0-5 volt output of temperature sensor or fan/pump target speed %
- Send temperature or pump speed to an ECM, data acquisition system or a gauge
- Works with many OEM and aftermarket IAT, ECT, EGT, TFT and other sensors, including: GM IAT, ECT, TFT and oil temperature sensors
- AEM, Autometer and other similar fluid temperature sensors
- Bosch OEM ECT, IAT and other temperature sensors
- GM, AC Delco, AEM, Bosch, GE EGT and other PT200 RTD sensors

Benefits:
- Allows almost any vehicle to use the new high output variable speed DC brushless cooling fans and fluid circulation pumps. Can be incorporated into aftermarket cooling systems
- Provides a wide temperature control range allowing these fans to be used in a broad range of applications without having to purchase different sensors or modules for each application
- Uses readily available and durable OEM or common PT200 platinum RTD sensors
- Control DC brushless fans and pumps without a temperature sensor via direct speed % control

Specifications:
- Activation is adjustable from 0-350 degree F in 10 degree increments for IAT, ECT, TFT
- Activation is adjustable from 0-990 degree C in 10 degree increments for EGT/RTD sensor 0 to 1800 deg F
- Speed percentage adjustable in 1% increments when in speed control mode
- High temperature glass filled Nylon enclosure & fully epoxy potted circuit board for increased durability
View Instructions
View attachment 103734
I'm about to see if this guy:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/143561612623

Works.  Its supposed to be ECT sensor agnostic (just uses reference voltage at your programmed min/max temps).

I couldn't get that one to do any thing other than go 100%.  I ran the a potentiometer through the 5v output on the unit.  Set high/low, verified voltage set points and sweep. All or nothing.  I ended up buying the Lingenfelter unit, but haven't had time to mess with it.  This was using the fan that comes on the CTS-V/LTI cars from 2016-2020.  GM GENUINE 1581927

I couldn't get that one to do any thing other than go 100%.  I ran the a potentiometer through the 5v output on the unit.  Set high/low, verified voltage set points and sweep. All or nothing.  I ended up buying the Lingenfelter unit, but haven't had time to mess with it.  This was using the fan that comes on the CTS-V/LTI cars from 2016-2020.  GM GENUINE 1581927
Wouldn't that require a pullup resistor?

Also: did you ground the AC pin?

Wouldn't that require a pullup resistor?

Also: did you ground the AC pin?
Evidently I didn't make the correlation to the RTD.... :bugsy:

The A/C pin is v+ input...ircc.

I'll have to dig all this back out and try again.  Maybe.  

Evidently I didn't make the correlation to the RTD.... :bugsy:

The A/C pin is v+ input...ircc.

I'll have to dig all this back out and try again.  Maybe.  
image.png

I think it's looking for the partial ground through the clutch at all times.  The v+ is probably so it can detect the change and default to 50% duty cycle.  Otherwise, you're telling it to run 50% at all times...  Which is kinda what you ran into... :biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah. more I look at it, the more I think that pin needs to be grounded (or left open?).  In addition to above, see below:

image.png

image.png

They are just depicting you tapping into the clutch wire.  I referenced the first drawing when I was messing with it.

They are just depicting you tapping into the clutch wire.  I referenced the first drawing when I was messing with it.
Yeah, but if you don't have it on the clutch, you need to ground it or it appears it will run at override speed.

Yeah, but if you don't have it on the clutch, you need to ground it or it appears it will run at override speed.
Well.....chit....lol.

Side note.  It was a Saturday and the wife was out of town.  I may have had a couple....

Well.....chit....lol.

Side note.  It was a Saturday and the wife was out of town.  I may have had a couple....
Confirmed. Unplugging that sucker makes it go absoEffinglutely nuts. Pretty sure the Jeep would’ve started driving forward if it wasn’t in park, lol. 

I installed a fan speed controller about 10 years ago on my spall fans they start at 50% and step up faster based on temp with a manual override the main reason was not battery draw but noise if your just sitting for a time and the fans cycle on you can still talk without shouting or drowning out my tunes even while dunning the reduction in background noise is nice 

sorry i don’t remember the brand 

I thought you knew better than to drink and schematic!
Adulting is not allowed while unsupervised. :no_no_no:

I put it together earlier in the week..  Didn't fire it up until the boss was gone.  Mine is an 850w 19" fan.  It moves a chit ton of air and I was "testing" it on my pool table..

However, I could be near blackout and probably still tell you the troubleshooting tree and wire colors to trace for the most common issues... :classic_ninja:   Most of the calls I get from guys in the dunes don't call me until they've ridden the cooler all day...  which is fine, we're typically speaking the same language by then...   :boozer: :cheers:

Back