Vandenberg Falcon 9 rocket launch tonight 8:55

Grease Monkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
241856882_10159242547164566_3173542082458649346_n.jpg

Tonight's launch of a Falcon 9 rocket from Vandenberg SFB appears to be on schedule for 8:55 p.m. PDT. The vehicle will probably head towards the south-southeast after liftoff and generally follow the California coast. If the sky is clear, the event could be visible to the unaided eye for hundreds of miles.

I've seen this twice now. Once from my shop in Costa Mesa and once while in Glamis.  Pretty amazing.  Where have you seen it from and what were your thoughts the first time.

My first time was with my coworkers working late. Sure seemed alien to us. Had little spore like things dropping off.

I literally told my wife "this is it" when we saw the last one while driving to dinner with my 3 kids LOL. I was that crazed holy smokes person freaking out having my road soda hahaha should be "another" good show pretty awesome to witness thanx for the heads up

200.gif

The wife and I were looking at a home to buy, standing in the front yard, it was still light outside and saw it streak across the sky. Badass. Gonna check the Vandenberg website later to see if its on time.

Vandy.jpg

I have a pic of the same launch from Costa Mesa also! Neighbors were freaking out

Huntington Beach, 5 points. Going to dinner at Marios. That was a sight!

saw it from bakersfield, we were drinking out in the pool saw that light and the wild colors following it. holly smokes we all tripped and though it was nuclear war starting

Well from Laguna Hills, I can see pretty much straight to the ocean so I'll look for it. I love watching that stuff. My father-in-law worked for NASA in the 70s/80s and my wife and family lived in FL.

They'd go to the 'pad' type area and watch the whole deal.

Thanks for the heads up!

abc

Last edited by a moderator:
I saw a launch at night while camped at the beach. It seemed almost alien and hard to believe I was seeing something real. 

ITT says the 14th on the space x site?

Tonight's launch of a Falcon 9 rocket from Vandenberg SFB appears to be on schedule for 8:55 p.m. PDT. The vehicle will probably head towards the south-southeast after liftoff and generally follow the California coast. If the sky is clear, the event could be visible to the unaided eye for hundreds of miles.

I was out in glamis when I saw the last one. It was pretty cool. If I hadn’t been at glamis I would have been at home in bed and missed it. Like I will be for this one. 

Disappointed in that launch. It never got into the sunlight.

saw it in corona. wasn't as pretty as past ones where the sun/moon illuminated the exhaust but still was fun to spot it.

Pretty amazing how fast that orange fire ball crossed the night sky.

Agree it wasn't the plume we've seen in the past.  Got to see one of the stages drop out in the ocean here from Newport. 

We walked to a high spot and we're able to see the launch and watch it disappear into the night sky.

Was neat listening to the space x launch caption while we watched it live in the sky.

No photos taken.

Back