UTV shocks - Nitrogen PSI/Leaking/Oil Seals

Dune-Track-N

Reaction score
So at the end of last season I was noticing my shocks fading or just weird ride conditions. Did some research and found one of my shocks showing oil leaking past two seals. One being the reservoir end cap with the rubber ball seal and the other being at the 90 from shock body to resi. After more research found @Schmidty's facebook/youtube videos. I knew of Schimdty in the past when I wanted to re-spring my Wildcat XX but ended up going with Bandit springs. Also I worked in Visalia, CA every Wednesday so I figured it would have been convenient. Well none of that worked out in the past sorry Schmidty... Now back to the nitrogen issues.

I ordered from Schmidty off his website, since he had moved to AZ I could not just drop in and buy from his shop in Visalia anymore. Quick and fast responsive shipping.
Got the 2.5 V2 caps and seals. Came with written instructions easy to follow but also watched the video again.

1st shock the one showing leaks, drilled it out and pissss some air came out. Not impressive but obvious not fully charged. Pulled end cap and had a few cc's of oil.
2nd shock, drilled and SHissss air come out. Still not as big of a release as expected. No oil in end cap.
3rd shock same as 2nd. Very light wet oil in end cap.
4th shock, SHHHWWWIIIOOOOSSSH. This was the only shock at least close to the expected results of nitro pressure. Barely a mist of oil in end cap.

Install. My buddy has a full nitrogen fill setup, since he used to have emulsion shocks and now has ORI's on his rock buggy. He's got a duel shock equalizer fill setup.
Fill the rears and pulled the hoses off and the same oil leaky shock was hissing. Found the schrader was not fully seated. Easy fix. Refill
Front socks no issues, checked all the schraders before filling though.

The ONLY real issue I had, was not having shock oil on hand. In the instructions it's mentioned to add a few cc's to the cups to keep the seals healthy. Hopefully this doesn't come back to bite me later

Really this is a cheap and easy DIY if you have the nitrogen and oil available.

IMG_1257.JPG

On all off road vehicles, you should check your Nitro every season.  Great write up, thanks

Your car will ride a lot better.    No more springy feeling in the shocks.  

Just charged the shocks up on my nephews xp4 1000. They haven’t been checked since the last time I charged them several years ago. The rear shocks were about 15 psi low each shock. The fronts on the other hand were done! They only had like 90 psi in each shock with the right front having definite seal issues. They need rebuilding for sure!

My buddy bought a new 2021 X3, half the shocks had zero nitrogen in them, and one was completely set different from the others, people need to check this stuff out.

Thanks for the post. We sell hundreds on these caps!  We now have them for Walker Evans as well. On the newer ones, they went to the silly needle port.. Our  Walker Evans ones will direct fit onto any of the gen 2 shocks with the round wire snap-rings.. On the 2.0's with "flat snap-rings", we have the caps available with a new snap ring that allows the High volume caps to retrofit into the older 2.0 flat snap-ring reservoirs.High volume nitrogen reservoir endcaps

What PSI are you guys running? I’ve got Fox shocks with ST gold treatment and just wanted to check Nitrogen. Thanks 

What PSI are you guys running? I’ve got Fox shocks with ST gold treatment and just wanted to check Nitrogen. Thanks 
Should be 180 to 200, typically 200 is the set point as it fades/leaks to 180 time to fill. You need a no-loss chuck to read the pressures without massive pressure loss

I would call ST and find out what it should be.  Some tuners use higher PSI and some lower.  

We run 200 psi in pretty much all UTV shocks.. we do not use nitrogen as a tuning tool. Its primary function is to keep all the seals and o-rings in the closed system in the shock energized. So that with adequate N2 pressure, the shocks do not cavitate on compression & therefore the shock dampens properly both ways in the stroke.. If you need softer of stiffer, you need to adjust valving or springs. Not N2.. 

Thanks for the post. We sell hundreds on these caps!  We now have them for Walker Evans as well. On the newer ones, they went to the silly needle port.. Our  Walker Evans ones will direct fit onto any of the gen 2 shocks with the round wire snap-rings.. On the 2.0's with "flat snap-rings", we have the caps available with a new snap ring that allows the High volume caps to retrofit into the older 2.0 flat snap-ring reservoirs.High volume nitrogen reservoir endcaps
What is the price on these end caps for 4 shocks on a x3 xrs?

What is the price on these end caps for 4 shocks on a x3 xrs?
Fox High Volume Nitrogen replacement reservoir endcaps.

The 2.0's are $43 per cap.. 2.5's are $46 We carry both Fox and W/E ones.. 

GD deal for someone.    I have a set of 4, Fox Gen2 2.5's of our original style caps, that several companies copied, which came off of a set of our "display" shocks.. (see pics)

One has a scratch on it.. Cosmetic damage only.. $140 set of (4) ($35/cap) .. 

IMG_0438[1].JPG

IMG_0439[1].JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

GD deal for someone.    I have a set of 4, Fox Gen2 2.5's of our original style caps, that several companies copied, which came off of a set of our "display" shocks.. (see pics)

PM Sent

View attachment 44033

View attachment 44036
These are sold.. I will probably have another set of (4) eventually , off of another display set of shocks. 

These are sold.. I will probably have another set of (4) eventually , off of another display set of shocks. 
Ok,please pm me a price shipped to 85364.   I have 2021 xrs rr, i'm not sure what shocks they come with stock.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok,please pm me a price shipped to 85364.   I have 2021 xrs rr, i'm not sure what shocks they come with stock.
Can you call the office 559-740-9972 . They will help you determine what you need.

Back