Troubleshooting Genny. Wont stay running

when you unplug the oil sensor it should run. its a normally closed switch add pressure its a open circuit. no oil pressure shorts to ground and shuts down the engine.
I want to understand this and commit to memory. Its not making sense. Is the word "ADD PRESSURE" supposed to be "NO PRESSURE"?

it's closed until it gets pressure, then opens and genny runs... lose pressure the switch closes and it's like pushing the kill switch is what they are saying... which is how a pressure switch works...  not sure if its a pressure switch or a sensor switch, which would be reversed...the oil completes the circuit and if not enough oil, it is closed and won't allow spark. 

I think i understand now thanks. 

Unplugging the oil sensor would result in an open circuit. Making the genny run. 

I figured unplugged anything meant open circuit. 

The kill switch analogy is helping big time to try and absorb this. 

To me right now its Kill Switch versus a child safety pull switch. They work opposite to perform the same task. 

Anyone have the Predator 2000 running a microwave or AC? 

I thought they made a 2200 watt model but guess not. Im trying to recommend a small 2200watt for home use and for camping. 

Im going to pull the Onan genny out but they will need something for a tday camping trip. Perfect time to invest in a little guy. 

The Honda 2200i looks to be $1200. Briefly looked around for used Hondas. I was saying you could buy a used Honda and sell it after the trip for the same price. 

I thought they made a 2200 watt model but guess not. Im trying to recommend a small 2200watt for home use and for camping. 

Im going to pull the Onan genny out but they will need something for a tday camping trip. Perfect time to invest in a little guy. 

The Honda 2200i looks to be $1200. Briefly looked around for used Hondas. I was saying you could buy a used Honda and sell it after the trip for the same price. 
My Honda 2000 runs my microwave, just have to be careful and not have the fridge and outside spots on when I do. It also would run my AC on my old trailer but it didn't like it and would surge for a few minutes after I shut off the AC. 

Ive heard of the soft start devices and pretty sure a 2200i can do a toyhauler AC unit?

SG is not liking the idea of stressing out a 2000watt genny. 

Honda looks to have a 3200watt model with a handle on top. So they must have made i light enough to not need wheels. Super expensive though. 

If it was me i would be looking at that cheap Harbor Freight 1400watt model. Can easily get by using the stove to heat up food. Can also get by no problem without an AC unit this time of year. 

Not sure what the Furnace pulls. Ive tested mine but forget. Its on a 15amp 12volt fuse so it cant pull more than say 100-150 watts. A little 1400watt genny would be perfect. Could use it at home too. They have a giant 10,000 watt genny. But that amount of power is not needed at 2am when you just need lights and a fridge during a power outage.

The 10,000watt genny is going camping with them most likely. Im making the joke that it might be the loudest construction generator to go camping in 2022. 

I went and got the Predator 3500 last year, then added the remote start...........so nice.  I used to do the 2000w gennie, but wouldn't run the Microwave.

Ok probably not your issue but I had a similar experience with my generator shutting off. It had a small oil leak so would shut off for low oil got that fixed ran great then started shutting off Again so cleaned and pressure washed all the oil that was flung around when it had the leak and it would run a little longer but then shut off. So back in we go and we find the forward cooling intake for cooling was blocked by a 763D07A1-95D4-4725-8582-9E0A74E2FF0B.jpegF9A33E1D-E046-4CE7-8947-0C1C8F033559.jpeg piece of sound deadening foam that had fallen off and was blocking airflow in the engine air intake! Runs great now! 

Amazon generator link

I've ran this knock off gen for the last 3 seasons for my vending trailer out in Buttercup.  It is the SAME EXACT as the Cummins Onan P4500.  It runs non-stop 5-7 days at a time.  Absolutely kicks AZZ. And for only $800!  After such great success on my vending trailer, I now have one on my flatbed behind the motorhome and my daughter has ditched her Onan 4000 on board for one of these.  We built a nice little wagon for hers.  I use this for my pusher. unless I'm going to run the AC.  Works perfect.  Remote start, quiet and sips the fuel.  :ez:

Amazon generator link

I've ran this knock off gen for the last 3 seasons for my vending trailer out in Buttercup.  It is the SAME EXACT as the Cummins Onan P4500.  It runs non-stop 5-7 days at a time.  Absolutely kicks AZZ. And for only $800!  After such great success on my vending trailer, I now have one on my flatbed behind the motorhome and my daughter has ditched her Onan 4000 on board for one of these.  We built a nice little wagon for hers.  I use this for my pusher. unless I'm going to run the AC.  Works perfect.  Remote start, quiet and sips the fuel.  :ez:
Damn, that's cheap AF.  Gonna pick one up.  Thanks for the heads up . . .

had issues with my 5500 in a 2009 weekend warrior last trip. it was fine saturday morning when i was making breakfast then saturday evening when starting dinner it would not stay running.

i took some oil out of it so it was about a 1/4 up the dip stick and put a new fuel pump on it. so far that has helped. i had it running for about 45 min with the AC in the trailer going. ill find out for sure this weekend.

i also got a service kit for it that is the oil change along with spark plugs and filters, got one of the china carbs as well. hopefully i dont need all that stuff yet. 

Back