Trip report: Calico 01/20-23

dbart

Reaction score
Epic trip to Calico this past weekend.

Was colder than....well, you know...cold! :laugh1:

Hardly any dust, great dirt, not crowded, perfect during the day!

Update done to my Can Am, I added the Madigan Motorsport Trailing Arm Guards and Shock Therapy Front Sway Bar Links as my Stock ones kept coming loose.

So, with that...trip was great, got there Friday morning about 11, set up camp and headed out. So much fun there. Friday night was just hanging by the camp fire and listening to our camp neighbors who let's say were from south of the boarder by the Flags they flew and the Mariachi style music they BLASTED ALL DAY AND NIGHT TIILL 2:30 AM! WTF???

:simrak:

I was about ready to walk over there, but figured I'd disappear, never to be seen again! What is it about camps that think they are the only ones there and a big EFF You to anyone else camping???   :dunno:

Saturday, was Epic...headed out and only had one flat in our group, that was right after we started out about 6 miles from camp. Other than that, all was good. Ended up in the ghost town at Lil's Beer garden for an Awesome burger and cold one.

Then headed next door to the tiny saloon cause...why not!

Got back to camp after dark, gassed up and went for a night time cruise.

Back at camp for some fire time.

I will say, I need to do something about the cold for my trialer...my buddy let me borrow his Propane heater that uses those small canisters...that was great till it ran out then immediately my trailer was cold!   :lmao:

I'll be looking one that uses the large tanks so the tank can stay outside and I just run the hose into my trailer!

Anyways...great trip and great group we have...been friends for so long. 

Got home Sunday and immediately unload, clean, organize and ready for the next trip.

:dbart:  

20230120_123655.jpg

20230120_123704.jpg

20230120_123911.jpg

20230120_123914.jpg

20230120_123921.jpg

20230120_123924.jpg

20230120_132846.jpg

20230120_132856.jpg

20230120_143010.jpg

20230120_143029.jpg

20230121_145429.jpg

20230121_145444.jpg

20230121_170851.jpg

20230121_170901.jpg

20230121_172038.jpg

20230121_172129.jpg

20230122_142455.jpg

20230122_155505.jpg

calico is a great ride most of the time, been trying to get a long 70-110 mile ride but we never seam to make it that far

Awesome report and thanks for posting pictures... :thumb:

When you go there, are trails outlined somehow or you use GPS points to get places?

Never been and always liked what people say is out there to explore - :cheers:

Awesome report and thanks for posting pictures... :thumb:

When you go there, are trails outlined somehow or you use GPS points to get places?

Never been and always liked what people say is out there to explore - :cheers:
Been there a lot and my buddy knows a lot of the trails...there actually is a lot to explore especially East and North.

Years back, we ended up on some remote hill and there was a memorial with 3 large crosses and a cave with a shrine in it (wasn't a deep cave, maybe 6')

If you are on mule canyon road, you basically stay on that till you get to the eastern most portion that ends at a pole line road (Sunrise Canyon Road-I think)...head north on that then pick a trail heading west and see where it goes! That's what we did :lmao:

We ran out of time on this trip to go explore that area to try and find it again.

Nice write up...fyi you probably be warmer in a tent.
Looking at this setup, the Big Buddy indoor heater:

I was looking up the hose and regulator to use with the tank and heater. shown is 12' hose/regulator

master1_100137607_alt3

Nice.  Glad to see you out there enjoying your X3.    

My trick is an electric blanket with more blankets on top as required. Turn your generator and electric blanket on about a half hour before bed then turn the generator off just before you jump in bed. Nice and toasty!

Thanks for the nice report and pics. 

Great trip report.. you want cold.. do KOH.. last year I burned 7 gallons of propane in my TH.

Will be watching on YouTube this year (cause if my broken wing).

TV Coverage is all day long and good if you can’t make it out.

Calico has changed.. lots of full hookup spots. But we just go 4wd and camp down the way, not in the ‘town.’

X3 glad you’re enjoying your new ride.

abc

Last edited by a moderator:
I call the enclosed trailer the "Ice Box". W/O a heater it stays colder at night in there than outside, and it stays that way until 9-10AM usually. Not sure about the Big Buddy heater, but the Little Buddy is pretty adamant about using a filter when running off a big bottle. They have an inline one that is easy to use.

FWIW,  at least some dirt circle tracks are now letting you take propane heaters into the stands. We have two of the Little Buddies and they make all the difference in winter night races (like the recent Wild West Shootout in Vado, NM, and also the Winter Thaw at Central Arizona Raceway). $10/two bottles at Walmart and worth every penny...

I call the enclosed trailer the "Ice Box". W/O a heater it stays colder at night in there than outside, and it stays that way until 9-10AM usually. Not sure about the Big Buddy heater, but the Little Buddy is pretty adamant about using a filter when running off a big bottle. They have an inline one that is easy to use.

FWIW,  at least some dirt circle tracks are now letting you take propane heaters into the stands. We have two of the Little Buddies and they make all the difference in winter night races (like the recent Wild West Shootout in Vado, NM, and also the Winter Thaw at Central Arizona Raceway). $10/two bottles at Walmart and worth every penny...
what about Supercross.. always cold.. usually wear long johns.

Looking at this setup, the Big Buddy indoor heater:

I was looking up the hose and regulator to use with the tank and heater. shown is 12' hose/regulator

generator and a ceramic heater. that thing roasted us out of a 20' enclosed one year when it turned nasty, night one we almost froze to death, teeth chattering cold, next night had the ceramic little heater from wally world and i tell ya i was in my underwear on top of the damn sleeping bags all night. that little thing was crazy lol.

just insulate the inside, we used the pink hard insulation from home depot, and I tell ya, dead winter or dead summer, it was perfect with nothing else. 

One of our trips at KOH, they guy about 100yards away, fired up a 6500 job site genny and ran it ALL night long to run his heater.... it was 22 in the am........the second night his genny wouldn't run for some reason...... I guess I wasn't the only one pissed off about that thing.....

Been there a lot and my buddy knows a lot of the trails...there actually is a lot to explore especially East and North.

Years back, we ended up on some remote hill and there was a memorial with 3 large crosses and a cave with a shrine in it (wasn't a deep cave, maybe 6')

If you are on mule canyon road, you basically stay on that till you get to the eastern most portion that ends at a pole line road (Sunrise Canyon Road-I think)...head north on that then pick a trail heading west and see where it goes! That's what we did :lmao:

We ran out of time on this trip to go explore that area to try and find it again.
LOL, I know that shrine spot. (one of your pics looked like the view from there) We had friends that we went with and they had been there so they showed us. We hung out for while, didn't disturb anything and went on our way. We were a large group (kids from 10 to grandparents to 78 or so) of quads with one rhino, one bike....the idea was to loop the mountains and get back to camp. Well we got lost like a mofo. Bike rider went ahead to look for a way out when our trail started getting iffy and never came back. His wife if freaking, then the rhino breaks a tie rod. I finally found a way out that was a canyon that emptied onto Fort Irwin road. We were riding double, towing quads and had to leave the rhino behind. We returned to the rhino with the owners truck (@nickman123) only to find that the keys had been left back at camp. The plan was to use some engine power to get it up the ramps while controlling that loose wheel. We muscled it in and got back safely. At any rate, I kept thinking of that Brady Bunch episode when they had all the bad luck because of that idol he had........I figured one of the kids must've grabbed something from that cave! And the guy at on the bike was at camp when we got there. He said there was no way to get back to us the way he came, it was too knarly.

We’ve never had a bad trip out there, some pretty good trails. We go once a year. We have one trail that we do that 4 seat cars can’t make without be winched, 2 seat cars barely make it without high centering inches from a cliff

Back