Trailer hitch lock?

Maybe I'm missing something, but what keeps somebody from just reaching through and hitting the chain with a death-wheel and having those off in 3 seconds? 

-TJ

First off they are covered by wheel covers, so its not obvious there is anything wonky going on.  My guess would be that after they get through the one on the tongue & get it hooked up & start dragging it towards the street & the tires are locked up, they will get out, try to figure out why the wheels are dragging & then cut through it. 

And you cant pull the chain through the wheel, that is why I have those flat bars welded to them.  the chain hits the brake drum.  see how tight this gap is? 

image.png

hmmmmmmmmmmm now that I think about it, can you imagine the buz saw those 2 pieces would turn into if they did cut the chain & try to drive off with them flying around..............   LOL. 

My response time from safe to driveway, locked & loaded is <30 seconds.......... 

Last edited by a moderator:
First off they are covered by wheel covers, so its not obvious there is anything wonky going on.  My guess would be that after they get through the one on the tongue & get it hooked up & start dragging it towards the street & the tires are locked up, they will get out, try to figure out why the wheels are dragging & then cut through it. 

My response time from safe to driveway, locked & loaded is <30 seconds.......... 
Makes sense! 

-TJ

Having had a trailer stolen that was locked with multiple locks and a kryptonite cable thru the wheels, my suggestion is the Proven Industies or Ft Knox locks and insurance. And behind a gate or something to limit access if possible. I did not have insurance on that trailer and I won't be caught with my pants down like that again! Coverage on the replacement trailer is stupid cheap.

even with the tongue locked, what PD says here is they just use the chains, wrapped around the ball, if chains are locked up short, they just throw a chain around the tongue around the ball, drive down the street  and remove what they need. The only one I saw that would stop trailer theft was something like this picture, with a 3/4" rod welded to the bottom or top. you can't back up close enough for chains to work, and if you did somehow hook it up, when you tried to turn, it would hit everything under the truck lol. but i can't find that guy now or remember the name of his company, but then again, you can't add a 4 ft piece to end of your tongue and be sticking out in the way of anyone else in a storage facility lol. someones bound to hit it

are you a dealer?
Mark Allen was, with Allen Offroad, i was going to look into it now that he is not doing them,  we have 6 in our camp, the work amazing,  

Mark got is trailer stolen in a storage yard in Corona, the police tracked it to 3 feet of his the trailer distance,   Another friend Bryce got his stolen when he was building his house, and tracked it over to one of the Sub employees and called the Sub and got his trailer back tracking it himself,   

The unit is very small and has a internal battery, they do not allow pictures of the unit on line, 

Have on in the car and in the trailer  

I just bought 2 cheap battery powered GPS deals with a case and magnets. Supposedly you can set up a 'geo-fence' for it, so if it moves, you'll know in 60 seconds. Gonna put one in my TH and one in my enclosed.. everything's insured but I have $90k in SXSs .. so .. don't want to replace them.

Will advise if the thing works.

abc

Mark Allen was, with Allen Offroad, i was going to look into it now that he is not doing them,  we have 6 in our camp, the work amazing,  

Mark got is trailer stolen in a storage yard in Corona, the police tracked it to 3 feet of his the trailer distance,   Another friend Bryce got his stolen when he was building his house, and tracked it over to one of the Sub employees and called the Sub and got his trailer back tracking it himself,   

The unit is very small and has a internal battery, they do not allow pictures of the unit on line, 

Have on in the car and in the trailer  
are batteries replaceable?

are batteries replaceable?
i dont know it has going on 5 years now no issues, 

I just bought 2 cheap battery powered GPS deals with a case and magnets. Supposedly you can set up a 'geo-fence' for it, so if it moves, you'll know in 60 seconds. Gonna put one in my TH and one in my enclosed.. everything's insured but I have $90k in SXSs .. so .. don't want to replace them.

Will advise if the thing works.

abc
On a 90k anything, not using a top quality GPS makes no sense.  The risk is not worth saving a couple hundred dollars.  

No one of the old members was a dealer Allen Offroad, i dont think he is on this site anymore, 

Back