Trailer hitch lock?

I’ve got the Reese one never had any problems.  But a thief will still steal your stuff. 

They used to say, that a lock only stops an honest person....not sure about that, but it also stops a lazy thief.

Brahma wheel lock or the proven industries tongue lock. 

Any lock can be defeated, if the thief knows what he's doing.

Instead of putting 100 locks on my trailer and needlessly complicating my life, I put a GPS tracker in it. If someone moves my trailer, I get a notification and I can follow the trailer where ever it goes. The cops arrest them and if there other stolen trailers there, those people get theirs back as well. Along with all of their broken locks.

You should see the lockpicking lawyer. He uses two 7/8" open ended wrenches, puts them inside the hoop part of the lock and just pops it open in 3 seconds. No power tools, no noise, no lockpicking.

It turns out, inside the expensive, massive, heavy duty looking lock...

there's this little tiny brass tooth that keeps the lock closed.

Well there it is there. I need to get a tile installed on it!  I will have to watch the video.

Well there it is there. I need to get a tile installed on it!  I will have to watch the video.
A Tile is not a GPS tracker. It uses bluetooth, which has about a 50 ft range.

Check out Trak4. Lowest initial cost ($48), lowest monthly monitoring cost (about $6/mo.)

I have one of these Proven industries Tongue Locks, And built a "tire lock".  I bought 3 keyed alike stainless Israeli Puck Locks, so they all have the same key. 

I also have a trailer brake disabled switch that turns on blinking LED's (to remind me more than anything) that I will not have any brakes if I dont enable the brakes. 

I also have a method to chain the whole thing to the ground, but I dont use that all of the time, because Im sure Im gonna try to drive away with it hooked up. 

As mentioned, nothing is for sure, hopefully this will slow some folks down....

IMG_20191227_115825853.jpg

20201127_144420.jpg

20201127_132816.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I use the masterlock setup coupler/pin and clam locks. Plus a tire boot and a chain to a in ground anchor. Sure it can still be stolen but they have to really want it.

I also don't keep anything of value in it. So if stolen worst case is an insurance replacement of just the trailer. Both homeowners and trailer ins, would pay out.

I have one of these Proven industries Tongue Locks, And built a "tire lock".  I bought 3 keyed alike stainless Israeli Puck Locks, so they all have the same key. 

I also have a trailer brake disabled switch that turns on blinking LED's (to remind me more than anything) that I will not have any brakes if I dont enable the brakes. 

I also have a method to chain the whole thing to the ground, but I dont use that all of the time, because Im sure Im gonna try to drive away with it hooked up. 

As mentioned, nothing is for sure, hopefully this will slow some folks down....

View attachment 16633

View attachment 16634

View attachment 16635
Damn. I was like this is taking it to that level!

I think these are about as good as you will find:

https://ftknoxlocks.com/shop

of course, nothing is a guarantee. A good lock like the Fort Knox and a GPS tracker is about the best you can do. And then storing it in a safe place and not leaving readily available to thieves is a huge help. 

at my storage facility, we had a guy who owned a trailer repair company down the street. he had an small enclosed trailer that had 3 locks on it. I always thought man that's alot of locks, must be something nice inside. it disappeared. now of course we never know who comes and goes as far as taking a trip, selling a trailer etc. he calls me and said did you move my trailer? well no, he said i guess it was stolen, but hats off to them, if they got by all those locks they deserved it. it had a couch inside it that he didn't have a place to throw away lol.

a yellow boot type is what we recommend to everyone at our facility if they are concerned. the ones who use them, they have a sharp point, if trailer rolls forward it punctures tire.

Love these threads and the expert testimonials.  

Back