Trailer battery questions

We've only used the trailer once and it was a month ago running generator all day for AC.  Without any experience with trailers, I didn't figure running anything but a few lights a stereo.  A heater?!  Never even crossed my mind to use.

No Solar.  I guess if AC isn't going, no need for generator to be on.  I always hear them kick on in mornings, I assume for people's coffee but I've got 4+ different methods to make coffee without electricity.

Maybe for now, a couple new 6V's are the way to go until I know what my needs are/will be.
if you have it @ the house, you can "camp right there" & see how long everything lasts.  its what I did with mine when I installed the heater/inverter/etc.  Mine would run for 2 days w/o me charging the battery (singe yellowtop) as long as I set the temp to "just get the chill off" instead of trying to set it for "warm".  when I got greedy, I had to charge it every morning (which was not a big deal, because my wife liked to run the micro every "morning" (after everyone woke up)..  

We've only used the trailer once and it was a month ago running generator all day for AC.  Without any experience with trailers, I didn't figure running anything but a few lights a stereo.  A heater?!  Never even crossed my mind to use.

No Solar.  I guess if AC isn't going, no need for generator to be on.  I always hear them kick on in mornings, I assume for people's coffee but I've got 4+ different methods to make coffee without electricity.

Maybe for now, a couple new 6V's are the way to go until I know what my needs are/will be.
You're the same as me then.  It's cold?  Get another blanket.  It's Glamis, not Alaska, you'll be fine. 

Fancy batteries are a waste.  I run my chit off of 1 "RV Deep Cycle" overnight, generator or external power pack (Yeti 3000x I got for other chit, but NFW I'd ever buy that thing for just RV use).  If no heater, you need next to nothing for batteries.  

Heater is nice, but they o ly work well in a small toyhauler if near the bedroom area.

Chances are the kids by the back door will not even feel heat from it at all, ever.

Replace with simple/cheap battery's and disco them from the trailer when not being used.

Keep it simple 👌 

Buy 2 6 volts from Costco and don't leave the trailer pluged in all the time. Just plug the trailer in a couple of days before a trip and turn your fridge on as well. Keep it simple.

Heater is nice, but they o ly work well in a small toyhauler if near the bedroom area.

Chances are the kids by the back door will not even feel heat from it at all, ever.

Replace with simple/cheap battery's and disco them from the trailer when not being used.

Keep it simple 👌 
We've run it before...

The insulation is so shitty on these that it's on, 80*, turns off, plummets to 60*, turns back on again.  Wake up the next morning sweating or freezing and dried the F out.  Nope, off.

Could always run a heater buddy off of propane to save the battery. Plenty of people I know use them and they work great. For me I just have 2 12 volt deep cycles from Home Depot (die hard I believe). Two residential solar panels (320 watts ea) and a big inverter.  Never need to run the generator (unless AC is needed). The 2 cheap batteries keep up fine even when we camped in 15 degree weather. As long as there is sun light no generator needed. Plenty of 7 to 10 day trips on just the 2 12 volts. 

Anyone have experience using Power Stations?  Obviously not for running AC. 

They look kind of handy and being portable could be used for other applications.

my new 5th wheel i just installed 2 new batteries 2 weeks ago, and found out this am what that light switch inside controls.......after the fact, drove by my storage last night and saw the outside lights on lol. been on for almost a week and a half, had to pull them and put them on a charger. guess i should go by at night more often lmao

UPDATE:   Batteries are toast.  Planning a trip next weekend so I'll be shopping this weekend. 

What #'s am I looking for?  May go with a 12v or 2, 6v.  Cheap but decent enough to keep the lights on a for a few days?  Costco, AutoZone, Walmart?

Last edited by a moderator:
UPDATE:   Batteries are toast.  Planning a trip next weekend so I'll be shopping this weekend. 

What #'s am I looking for?  May go with a 12v or 2, 6v.  Cheap but decent enough to keep the lights on a for a few days?  Costco, AutoZone, Walmart?
6-volt will cost you more, but will require less time charging in between trips and would last you for your entire trip, even if you left the fan on all day or ran the heater at night.

12-volt will cost you less up front won't last as long. Your going to have to plug in before a trip to top off batteries more than likely between trips and if you ran the heater all night. The batteries will take a beating. 

Every time I go to look at new batteries I always say I am changing over to sixers and everytime I decide the cost isn't worth it.

always 6V and never look back / they last soo much longer ! Do the 6Volt costco batteries

Back