Trailer battery questions

Bansh88

Reaction score
Noob questions and learning here....

My 2, 6v batteries were boiling.  We pulled them out and each has 1 cell low or empty of water.  When we bought it, dude said they needed replaced.

Should batteries be disconnected when stored for a while?  What would be that time frame?  1 month, 3 months, etc?

While we have it parked at the house, we have been leaving the trailer plugged in.  What issue can that cause with batteries? 

Lipo?  What recommendations would you give for my situation?  Size?  No solar as of now.  Plan is to only use trailer for Glamis trips, 2-3 nights.  No extended road trips.  Sizes and prices are all over the place.

Trailer is 2003 Rampage 5th.  

ANY info and tips are appreciated.

If you don't have a "smart" charger the constant charge will boil the water right out of the 6v batteries. The inverter/controller needs to have the "charge wizard" installed or it will just straight charge the batteries and boil them.  You can buy a smart charger, wire it straight to the batteries and turn off the trailer and leave it plugged in...but you still have to check the water. 

The 6Volts work just fine for what you are going to do a 5 or 10 am Noco charger will hande the charge....

Don’t leave it plugged in unless you are using it. 2 or even 4 six volts from Costco is the way I’d go. Keep the water topped off and the battery switch off when not in use. 

Most Rv chargers are not automatic or a 3 stage charger, confirm and or replace if you want to leave it plugged in. I leave my stacker and Rv plugged in all the time, you have to check the batteries every 30 days

If I wanted to do a Lithium battery, 100ah good enough?  200ah needed?

My Trailer has solar and now that I store outside I just keep the electrical system on. I do check my batteries pretty often though.

200ah on Lithium.

I have 2 Costco batteries but will switch to Lithium when these are dead.

Gotta get a controller on your charger to not cook the batteries.

My Trailer has solar and now that I store outside I just keep the electrical system on. I do check my batteries pretty often though.
I have been doing the same for over a year now with no issue, check the water monthly.  This makes it easy.  

image.png

My battery compartment is stuffed tight with the 2, 6V's.  I'd have to disconnect and remove batteries to check the water.  White People Problems but a total pain in the ass for a monthly task.

My battery compartment is stuffed tight with the 2, 6V's.  I'd have to disconnect and remove batteries to check the water.  White People Problems but a total pain in the ass for a monthly task.
Sounds like the lithium is the way you need to go. But you will need a  new inverter/converter/charger as well. 

I never leave my batteries on in storage.  I also don't leave it plugged in without using the trailer for any length of time.  I don't trust even smart chargers anymore.  Even my solar charger years ago fried my batteries.  Now I get 5-6 years out of my batteries.

Christ!

I'm thinking I need to just top off these old batteries and keep on truckin.
It is. But if they were low in one cell and boiling you may want to make sure they will be ok for your next trip. 

I replaced my two optima 24 group batteries with a 100Ah liFePo.  also required a change in the dongle for my battery controller.  It was slightly cheaper going with the one battery VS the 2.  with the way I run my camp, it was not worth it.  It took quite a bit longer (over twice as long) running the Generator to charge the LiFePo than the Optimas. 

I suppose if I had solar (would have been another expense to add), it might be another story, but I didn't. 

Christ!

I'm thinking I need to just top off these old batteries and keep on truckin.
Yep and when the 6Volts finally take a dump and wont hold a charge. Throw in one 12 volt and you will be fine for your 2-3 trips 2-3 nights at a time until it's just you and the Mrs. taking the grandkids camping.

Yep and when the 6Volts finally take a dump and wont hold a charge. Throw in one 12 volt and you will be fine for your 2-3 trips 2-3 nights at a time until it's just you and the Mrs. taking the grandkids camping.
1 12V won't run a furnace all night if you have it set above 72 or so.

Or if your hauler is large and the furnace runs alot.

Just to watch TV and occasionally run the microwave?  How long before recharging?  Solar?
We've only used the trailer once and it was a month ago running generator all day for AC.  Without any experience with trailers, I didn't figure running anything but a few lights a stereo.  A heater?!  Never even crossed my mind to use.

No Solar.  I guess if AC isn't going, no need for generator to be on.  I always hear them kick on in mornings, I assume for people's coffee but I've got 4+ different methods to make coffee without electricity.

Maybe for now, a couple new 6V's are the way to go until I know what my needs are/will be.

Back