Tow bar for Jeep

Kraut_n_Rice

Site Sponsor
Reaction score
Thinking about flat towing my LJ out to hammers instead of dealing with a trailer.

What is a reasonable tow bar system to look into?

I have used a blue ox for the last 5 years and have had no issues.  Not cheap but neither was my jeep.  https://www.blueox.com/recreational-tow-bars/

I did have to buy some adapters to connect to the  D rings in bumper.  Blue ox sells an adapter plate but would not recommend it due to it being bulky and likely scraping if you wheel more than the mall parking lot.   

do you have a D ring bumper?  then the Smittybilt should work. I bought the adaptors for mine and they work great. 

Warrior Products 865 Small Tow Bar D-Ring Adapter

Not sure what size your D-rings are....but these bolt on to the tow bar end and make it easy. I got cables instead of chains and large pull pins from Tractor supply to make it easy. 

I bought the long Conntek Heavy Duty Insulated 4 Way Flat Trailer Wiring Harness, 25ft. 

off of ebay and then made a t-bar out of alum and put it in the rear hitch with some boat trailer lights...so it all just runs up the side of the jeep into the truck or motorhome...and I have lights. 

No, I have a stock bumper with the tow bar mounts bolted on.
Time to buy a shorty bumper with some D-rings...just so you can tow you know....   or just get a blue ox set up...they are easier to hook up.  Look on Offer up for those. 

Time to buy a shorty bumper with some D-rings...just so you can tow you know....   or just get a blue ox set up...they are easier to hook up.  Look on Offer up for those. 
I've had no issues towing my TJ for probably 10K miles with my set up

I use a Roadmaster Blackhawk 2 AllTerrain 10k tow bar. Roadmaster baseplate on my WK2, Blue Ox on my WJ with adaptors for the Roadmaster tow bar. Both tow great behind my moho.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think i put more miles on my jeep flat towing across the country than actually driving it. I use a Blue Ox with the D ring adapters

I have a Blue Ox with a Curt base plate on mine. I’m currently towing it across country behind my Moho and woke up this morning to this. All is well, it powered right through. 
Probably doesn’t help with your decision but I just wanted to post the pictures. 

41BD24FE-2884-45D0-8CB6-BBBCE79A6888.jpeg

0CE5FFD3-DC40-4E73-9B5F-A42371BC98E0.jpeg

I have an adjustable towbar for sale. I used it for my TJ. I was asking $75 but make me any offer. There should be an ad in the classfifieds. 

Back