Top 5 hikes @ ZION national Park

Bobalos

Reaction score
Morning folks,

My wife & I are going to ZION in mid Sept to Celebrate our 30th anniversary (Nothing like running away from everyone you know to have a party!!  LOL).  We will actually be staying south of the park (Hurricane, Apple Valley, Hilldale.  Probably in Hilldale). 

we are mid/late 50's & would like to get your opinions on the top 5 hikes.  anywhere from 5 to 10 miles is good & nothing we need climbing gear for.  Maybe water shoes, but we will use the weather forecast to determine if we want to get wet. 

We will head back to San Diego through Flagstaff and Prescott, if you know of any good hikes in those 2 areas as well.  Maybe closer to the 4 to 5 mile range. 

thanks

Bob

@IFLY & @Scataloni If anybody knows the hikes in Zion it would be those two. Flag and Prescott skip and hit Sedona instead for hiking

My favorite hike was canyon overlook. We also found a side trail off the road which led to a water fall. 

20201125_095246.jpg

20201125_100357.jpg

20201125_095743.jpg

20201126_124742.jpg

only time i was there it was for only 2 days,  i did weeping rock, The Narrows via Riverside Walk went as far the first fork then turned back, did all three emerald pools. theres others i want to do when i visit again and am in better shape to hike the more strenuous trails.

My favorite hike was canyon overlook. We also found a side trail off the road which led to a water fall. 

Looks cold, what time of year were you guys there?? 

only time i was there it was for only 2 days,  i did weeping rock, The Narrows via Riverside Walk went as far the first fork then turned back, did all three emerald pools. theres others i want to do when i visit again and am in better shape to hike the more strenuous trails.
Awesome.  the Narrows is supposed to be in the "Strenuous" category & the emerald pools in the Moderate".  what is deceiving is the amount of time they are saying it should take for these hikes compared to the distances (seems like 2x longer than the distance indicates).  but if they are super challenging, then I could see it.  what was your opinion?? 

My family and I have been to Zion twice in recent years, we really love it there. 

• Canyon Overlook Trail - 1 mile round trip - 163 ft elevation change - Really fun hike with amazing views and it's easy.  You get to do some cool cliffside walkways and stuff, but not very strenuous.  We always do it around sunset and its pretty awesome.
  • Angels Landing - 5.4 miles round trip - 1488 ft elevation change - This is a serious hike.  Tons of places to drop to your death 🙂 The views are awesome and it's fairly fun once you get to the chains.  The beginning is just work, but it's worth it once you get up top.  I'm pretty out of shape, but was able to finish this at my own pace.
  • Observation Point - 8 miles round trip - 2148 ft elevation change - This one kicked my butt.  It's a lot of walking and starts off with some huge switch backs that go up the canyon wall.  Once you get to the top, the views are awesome.  You are actually able to look DOWN on Angels Landing.  For me, this was the least fun, but had the biggest sense of accomplishment for an out of shape guy to finish.  If you like physical challenge and are in good shape, go for it.

@kazuaki,

do you drive up to the put in point of the Canyon Overlook Trail or Shuttle up to it? 

how long did it take you to do Angels Landing?

Angels landing trail has awesome views but do that first thing in the morning because it’s a strenuous hike and it gets warm. 
Save the Narrows hike for when it warms up cause you’ll be in water the whole time and bring some old hiking boots or you can rent them there. But definitely NO WATER SHOES/SOCKS!! Them rocks will beat up your ankles and feet. 
We parked inside the Park and took the shuttle bus everywhere. We also reserved our tickets for the shuttle service through Recreation.gov was like $1 each person. image.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome.  the Narrows is supposed to be in the "Strenuous" category & the emerald pools in the Moderate".  what is deceiving is the amount of time they are saying it should take for these hikes compared to the distances (seems like 2x longer than the distance indicates).  but if they are super challenging, then I could see it.  what was your opinion?? 
the narrows is a general term. the hike from the top down yes is strenuous and you need permits. the one that any shmoe can do when they get off the bus is from the riverwalk up. also if my 260lb fat ass at the time could do it, i would say it wasnt moderate or strenuous :lol:

@kazuaki,

do you drive up to the put in point of the Canyon Overlook Trail or Shuttle up to it? 

how long did it take you to do Angels Landing?
We drove through the park, through the tunnel and parked in the little parking lot (or side of the road) just after you exit the tunnel.  From there you can hit the trailhead and get going.  Again, we LOVE this hike.  It's easy, fairly short, and very rewarding with the view.  My daughter did it when she was young and enjoyed it. We've also gotten some close encounters with bighorn sheep a few times.

Looks cold, what time of year were you guys there?? 

Thanksgiving 2020

It's an awesome place, but in the summer, the park is a freaking zoo. Get there early. Later in the day, there's no parking and you can wait 30 minutes to an hour just to get on the shuttle. Best hikes we did were the Narrows and Angels Landing.

Angels Landing for sure. I do NOT like heights so need to face a demon or 3...  :thumb:

Make sure you check on the passes. We were there a few months ago and the online passes sold out in seconds. 

Make sure you check on the passes. We were there a few months ago and the online passes sold out in seconds. 
thanks, this is something I did not think we would have to worry about.  We found out last night that there is a good chance that we wont be able to get passes for Kanarra Creek Trail. 

Do other hikes have the same issue?? Specifically Angels Landing & Emerald Pools?? 

thanks, this is something I did not think we would have to worry about.  We found out last night that there is a good chance that we wont be able to get passes for Kanarra Creek Trail. 

Do other hikes have the same issue?? Specifically Angels Landing & Emerald Pools?? 
I know Ifly and Scat plan the trips around permits they have for hiking

The Narrows is really cool,  but you will need to have a hiking stick, shoes, and some change of clothes, it has some deep water crossing if you go deep into the narrows, 

Favorite place to eat is the SPOTTED DOG CAFE, this is right before the entrance, 

This is also known as Kanarraville falls. This is a great hike and does not require any gear. It is very family friendly. It is not in the park, its at least an hour away. Not sure of your dates but here is what the website shows. This is not a lottery. If its open you can grab it. It limits 150 people a day only witch is a good idea. It can get very busy and no parking. There are ladders you have to go up and you can get stuck waiting for an hour to up or down.

July 26, 2021 – Ticket availability update:

(Note:  This information is updated about twice a day and is subject to change without notice)

We are SOLD OUT thru August 16th.

August 20, 21, 22, 27, 28, 29 are SOLD OUT.

September 4, 5, 6, 11, 12, 18, 19, 25 are SOLD OUT

Weekends in September are selling out, so get your tickets early!  Remember there are no refunds so please be sure of your dates.

Last edited by a moderator:
Morning folks,

My wife & I are going to ZION in mid Sept to Celebrate our 30th anniversary (Nothing like running away from everyone you know to have a party!!  LOL).  We will actually be staying south of the park (Hurricane, Apple Valley, Hilldale.  Probably in Hilldale). 

we are mid/late 50's & would like to get your opinions on the top 5 hikes.  anywhere from 5 to 10 miles is good & nothing we need climbing gear for.  Maybe water shoes, but we will use the weather forecast to determine if we want to get wet. 

We will head back to San Diego through Flagstaff and Prescott, if you know of any good hikes in those 2 areas as well.  Maybe closer to the 4 to 5 mile range. 

thanks

Bob
This could get long, lol How many days will you be there? Also I can help with almost anything you have a question about. If you have the time I would recommend a side trip to Bryce canyon for 1 day.

Lodging: I highly recommend staying in Hurricane. Its closer to the park and has everything you need. Probably 100 a night compared to 250ish in Springdale. There is nothing in Hilldale and its farther away. you might save a couple of bucks but its not worth it.

The Shuttle: Your lucky they stopped the permit system. It was a pain to use. In September it will be better, but the earlier you take it the better. 10am to 12am is prime time. Expect an hour wait. 7 to 8am is best, also late in the day is good. Lots of wildlife to see right before dark. The lodge has beer and soft serve ice cream, just a real nice spot to chill for a bit in the afternoon. 

Hikes: If you only had 5 hours in the park the #1 thing you should do is the Narrows. It is a easy but slow hike because you are hiking in the river almost the whole time. You can rent shoes and a pole to help you but it is not needed. In September the flow of the river will be low. When you start up the narrows the first thing you see is a little waterfall on the right. This is Mystery Springs, It is a hike that requires gear. You might see some people rappelling down this wall. As you continue up stream you will get to a fork coming in from the right. This is orderville canyon, walk up it a little bit Its worth it. You can also do this canyon from the top down. Continue up the narrows until you hit big springs. This is a great spot and its as far as you are allowed to hike.

Angels Landing is a great hike but you can not be afraid of heights. Also start this hike as early as possible. Research this hike on youtube to get a better idea of what you are getting yourself into.

Emerald pools: I would not even do this hike.

Observation point: I believe this trail is still closed.

The Subway: My favorite hike from the top down. It requires climbing gear from the top and a car shuttle. You can do this hike from the bottom up and  I would recommend this. It does require a permit for this hike. You can enter a lottery 2 months in advance, right now you have until Saturday to enter for A September date. There is also a last chance drawing a couple of days before it. Also sometimes you can get lucky the day before at the wilderness office if someone cancelled. 

East Side of the park: Go through the tunnel and there is a lot to see. Bighorn sheep are almost always out close to the road. There are a couple of easy hikes that will take you to rim of the canyon without the crazy elevation climb. You can hike to Cable mountain or Observation point from this side. You can go to a ranch that has buffalo's. 

Back