Tire Wear Question

Bobalos

Reaction score
Good morning folks, I have a 99 Dodge Ram 2500, 2x4, Cummins, Auto, Extra Cab.  260,000 miles.  

On 15Aug2020, I put some Michelin LTX AT2, 265/75-16, 123R-E1, on it. (Discount Tire).

The tires have 25K miles on them.  this is the first time I've had tires on it that were not AT’s or MT’s. 

They seem to be wearing strangely.  The tires are wearing on the outside more than the inside.  See the depths in the chart below. 

Any idea what causes something like this? 

I normally run 50Lbs in them when Im not towing & 70 in each when towing.  I changed them all to 60 to see if that made any difference, but I cant imagine it will (other than maybe wearing out the middles, which is what it would do to the AT's, which is why I went up & down when towing). 

Thanks

Bob

image.png

and a picture for fun...

image.jpeg

I thought that, but why are the rears doing the same thing?

I did on 4 Dec @250,900 miles.  I have not since. 

going to start there. 

thanks for the sanity check.

Bob

My brand new 2022 2500 came with those same tires (17" rim).  They were almost bald at 16k miles.  Even wear but tread was GONE.

My brand new 2022 2500 came with those same tires (17" rim).  They were almost bald at 16k miles.  Even wear but tread was GONE.
wow........... mine have 25K on them & they still have lots of tread left. 

Luckily Michelin/Discount pro-rated warranty on them and got some new BFGs.

The torque of the newer trucks shreds tires unless you're conscious of your acceleration...

Ive had a lot of tires on this truck & the one set of tires I HATED............ BFG's.  Ride, wear, noise, all sucked.  I took it into get it aligned & looked @ & they could not make it better. 

I had 3 sets of the Bridgestone Revo's & loved each set (although they didnt last "that long"), ride, feel, noise, etc, all great.  

I thought I would try something that was less of a "truck tire" & more of a "car tire" which is why I tried the Micheline.  I have them on all of my cars & have never had an issue.  so far they are OK.  this wear seems odd to me, which is why Im asking.  alignment does make the most sense, but I dismissed it because of the rears, not even thinking I rotated them.  LOL. 

It is one of Five things.

1). You are drifting around mountain roads. (this would wear all four)

2). Assuming your front end is tight you need an alignment (this would only wear the fronts)

3). You may have play in the tie rods, ball joints, Idler Arm and/or Pitman Arm - and also need an alignment. (this would only wear the front)

4). You drive mainly on a worn out road where the outside edges of the pavement is crowned downward to the center of the lane. (This would wear all four)

5). The worn ones are under inflated - doesn't sound like that to me though.

Keep us posted. 

Yep, been slacking.  since I bought a commuter car (& sold the buggy & trailer), I dont drive the thing hardly @ all.

up to about 100K I used to rotate them pretty regularly, I found if I stay on top of air pressure & take them up and down for towing they dont seem to wear funny.  but....... its a lot older now, stuff changes I guess. 

giphy.gif

I own a Tire Shop and I NEVER rotate. I suck. And my TPMS light has been on for 2 years. LoL
Cobblers kids have no shoes type thing? :biggrin:

Back