Tire pressure in the dunes.

Did a fast 25 mile ride along the gecko ridges and up around Osborne this morning. Of course everything is now completely tore up with lots of cross hatches and moguls. I went down to five in the front and 12 in the rear. Also dropped the front airbags about 5 PSI. It was a noticeable difference. Still a rough ride but more tolerable. I also was focusing on using the dead pedal to push myself back in the seat more than normal. After 17 years I think I might get an expert involved and have some work done on these shocks. The other thought is do I consider going to 3 in front and rear. Pricey option but considering the amount I use this car maybe worth it. A new Funco would be nice but not in the budget.
One thing that has helped my shocks, check the Nitro level often and refill.  Making sure they are 150psi every other trip has made the ride way nicer.  FYI, I am going to get them rebuilt this off season.

Did a fast 25 mile ride along the gecko ridges and up around Osborne this morning. Of course everything is now completely tore up with lots of cross hatches and moguls. I went down to five in the front and 12 in the rear. Also dropped the front airbags about 5 PSI. It was a noticeable difference. Still a rough ride but more tolerable. I also was focusing on using the dead pedal to push myself back in the seat more than normal. After 17 years I think I might get an expert involved and have some work done on these shocks. The other thought is do I consider going to 3 in front and rear. Pricey option but considering the amount I use this car maybe worth it. A new Funco would be nice but not in the budget.
Brian ran 11psi in his rear tires.  Man those rear tires on the new Funcos are not light with the fancy beadlock wheels.  He had not issues getting the car to slide at 11psi.  Sounds like your shocks could use so valving to get you a more plush ride over the chop.  Might want to hit up the shock guys that was at vendors.  Dave knows the name of the guy.  He did some shock work on Alex's 2 seat SU.  

On my Can Am I run 12psi front and rear.  It gets through everything smoothly.  It is funny when we hit the chatter bumps or cross ruts the buggy guys say it is a rough ride.  I barely feel the chatter bumps in my X3. 

One thing that has helped my shocks, check the Nitro level often and refill.  Making sure they are 150psi every other trip has made the ride way nicer.  FYI, I am going to get them rebuilt this off season.
I do check that often.

Brian ran 11psi in his rear tires.  Man those rear tires on the new Funcos are not light with the fancy beadlock wheels.  He had not issues getting the car to slide at 11psi.  Sounds like your shocks could use so valving to get you a more plush ride over the chop.  Might want to hit up the shock guys that was at vendors.  Dave knows the name of the guy.  He did some shock work on Alex's 2 seat SU.  

On my Can Am I run 12psi front and rear.  It gets through everything smoothly.  It is funny when we hit the chatter bumps or cross ruts the buggy guys say it is a rough ride.  I barely feel the chatter bumps in my X3. 
Yep, I guess that guy is the guru for the Funco's. $3000 to set up shocks on the big cars. Not sure what my 2.5s would cost but guessing the same or not much cheaper.  I would love to run the big 17s like the newer cars but my baby v6 would suck wind trying to spin them. And yes the Can am with Shock Therapy springs and and valving is still much smoother in the chop vs the Funco.

Yep, I guess that guy is the guru for the Funco's. $3000 to set up shocks on the big cars. Not sure what my 2.5s would cost but guessing the same or not much cheaper.  I would love to run the big 17s like the newer cars but my baby v6 would suck wind trying to spin them. And yes the Can am with Shock Therapy springs and and valving is still much smoother in the chop vs the Funco.
$3K is not a bad price at all for shock work.  Plus the guy is in the dunes and go ride with your to really get it fine tuned for your driving style. 

$3K is not a bad price at all for shock work.  Plus the guy is in the dunes and go ride with your to really get it fine tuned for your driving style. 
Talked to the gal at Shock Talk. He is 5 cars deep right now and I would need to leave the car. Might do that when I leave this week. Waiting for Karl to call me back. I want to discuss exactly what he does. 

Shock Talk did a really good job for my buddies, but make sure you’re clear on tuning for duning and not whoops. 

Talked to the gal at Shock Talk. He is 5 cars deep right now and I would need to leave the car. Might do that when I leave this week. Waiting for Karl to call me back. I want to discuss exactly what he does. 
For sure want to talk to the shock tuners and give them as much information as possible about what you want the car to do and find out what they do to the shocks. When I had my shocks done on my X3 I talked to the shock guy for a long time and he explained everything.    

Part of it is how hard you run, and if you dune mostly or if you jump the car hard,  and how heavy the car is,  

I was running 16lbs two years ago and bent the front rim twice,  now i am running 26lbs,  in the Rear i run from 8lbs-20lbs depending on how much bite i want, 

8lbs when i want to wheelie more. but most of the time i stay at 17lbs seems to be more stable in the dunes,  

Went for a ride with Karl today. I guess my car sits way too high and is off. So he will get to do his magic. Can't wait.

Went for a ride with Karl today. I guess my car sits way too high and is off. So he will get to do his magic. Can't wait.
Karl is a great dude he didn't have time to service my shocks but he went for a ride and adjusted the shocks made a night and day difference. spent about two hours out in the dunes and at olds wouldn't take any money. 

35” Baja 8.5 psi

14.50-17 Dunesports 16.5 psi Dry…. 20 psi Wet

I would stay far far far far FAR FAR away from shock talk. He tried to rebuild and tune my buddies alumicraft... I have never seen anyone screw something up so bad. He had the ride height way too low, all compression tubes closed, 100psi of nitrogen, and the rebound all the way open. The car way completely undrivable and Karl said it was a top 5 setup in Glamis LOL. I spent a weekend undoing everything Karl did and the car works well.... luckily he didn't screw up the valving too bad. 

I recommend taking the car to SDG or Simon at Shock Pros. After years and years for racing, we learned our lesson with rookie 'shock builders/tuners'. 

For grins today I dropped 5 lb out of each airbag which dropped the car down a little bit. Low 30s in the front and 40 in the rear bags. Seems to work a little better.

For grins today I dropped 5 lb out of each airbag which dropped the car down a little bit. Low 30s in the front and 40 in the rear bags. Seems to work a little better.
I used to run 35lbs in front and 42lbs in rear, it handled great except for that once in awhile splash down in the sand (usually coming off a wheelie or jump, not duning).  We also didn't drive as fast as we do now.  I am now running 40lb in front and 45lb in rear to keep sand out of my face, haha

Many people have given some good advice so I won’t throw my two cents in because a mid engine car is different. 
However, put some starch in there to help keep the pressure where you want it. 

12-14 up front 8.80 tires and 16 rear stu 13.00

mid travel beam car Honda 3.5. 

Back