Thoughts - Upgrade, or new build?

For the Chassis, think it is a great desert car, i feel just making a couple changes will make a huge difference,  not sure if it needs box arms, but i have one rear trailing arm left from Dave that i am making CAD prints from, will share the file if someone needs one, and have a dual sport in the shop if someone needs pics, depending on bulk head i would maybe do some updates, and it is pretty easy adding a S4,  with pricing now not sure if i would ever purchase a S4D,  the S4 had the same gears as a S4 

one of the disappointments in the S4D is it has the same Diff,  if you had bigger spider gears then yes go for the D,  but not much difference in the New extended tooth s4 to the S4D in my opinion, 

The desert dynamics has some odd quarks, it was made for the Desert, so the rear motor/trans area is higher than most sandcars,  the bottom of the car is almost flat, and what i mean by that is the trailing arm tube sits right on the frame rails, it does not dip down like other cars  --------- so my point is, if you go to a D in a Desert-Dynamics you loose a lot of CV angle,  

I have owned a couple of DD cars, 1 buggy work, 1 Sand Works, 1 Sand Car, 1 Dual Sport, 1 Prerunner, and just purchased another Prerunner with radius roof,  

If you do a D trans it will need Mid-boards or outboards, if you keep the S4 you can run Micro Stubs, something to think about, 
Fantastic insight thanks Jason. Interesting to know that I can run microstubs with the S4. In terms of arms, I was planning on faux “boxing” mine by plating them to add some strength. Does it need it? Probably not but may add some strength and rigidity. 

That’s a great car. I’ve eyeballed it a few times. But know me, I’d spend another 10k on it. I can’t do bright flashy cars, just not my thing. But definitely checks all the boxes 

My new car came with one arm, so i am going to CAD up some arms, if you need a file let me know or a set of rear arms,  post a picture of the bulkhead, it will give a idea if is ready to go, if not a couple things you can do to make it super strong, 

My new car came with one arm, so i am going to CAD up some arms, if you need a file let me know or a set of rear arms,  post a picture of the bulkhead, it will give a idea if is ready to go, if not a couple things you can do to make it super strong, 
This isn’t my car, but same bulkhead. The original sand car chassis bulk head with the DD laser 

49DEA4F6-E91E-44D1-BFF5-47DF3DBF5E3F.jpeg

I am a big fan of 2 seats. I don’t dislike the geometry of my car and the way it dunes, but this past season I did a lot of suspension work including a revalve and respring. But the way the car handles with just me is drastically different than with 4 full size guys in it. So I’d really like to take a couple out of the equation and truly dial it in. 

In terms of cost effectiveness though, $20k maybe half of a nice 2 seat, but not half of something that would do better than my car with an S4 upgrade. So that’s where my predicament is. 
Duuude!!! I know where there a completely reliable and sorted 2 seat car for sale with the big trans and boosted motor for 54K. I know the owner and I'm sure I can get you a better deal. 

Duuude!!! I know where there a completely reliable and sorted 2 seat car for sale with the big trans and boosted motor for 54K. I know the owner and I'm sure I can get you a better deal. 
Your car is dialed! But I specifically want a rear engine

Well, I sold the car and found my dream car. Thanks for all the input on this thread. But I’m bringing home the perfect car that I’ve always been after. 2 seat alumicraft, Redline LS3, Albins, and all the big parts. I spent WAY more than I thought I ever would but what’s that saying? Cool chit ain’t cheap and cheap chit ain’t cool?….whatever….she’s mine 

IMG_7238.jpeg

Well, I sold the car and found my dream car. Thanks for all the input on this thread. But I’m bringing home the perfect car that I’ve always been after. 2 seat alumicraft, Redline LS3, Albins, and all the big parts. I spent WAY more than I thought I ever would but what’s that saying? Cool chit ain’t cheap and cheap chit ain’t cool?….whatever….she’s mine 
She is such a beast! Runs to glamis and in baja are gonna be much more enjoyable! 

Cool car 
Thanks, needs a few minor things and a deep cleaning. But overall is in great shape. Cooley went through it front to back in 2015 so it's ready for Baja. Just needs a set of dancing shoes for the dunes. 

Sweet ride! I bet it rips!

Some comforting words that have helped me in the past,

"It's only money" and "Can't take it with you" 😅

I did the same thing with my DD almost 8 years ago I put a s4 in and it was the best decision I made with this car its been in for a fresh up at 4 years and no issues I was told to drive it harder.. you can actully drive the car now. But like others have said it's way more pricer now to do the swap I'd sell and buy a bre runner if that your main focus... 

Screenshot_20221028-002348_Instagram.jpg

Back