The BLM has openings for campground hosts in Glamis 2024-25 Season

Crusty

Reaction score
The Bureau of Land Management has 2 camp host positions available at these locations:

1. Gecko Road, Pad 1: The camp host at this location will stay on the pad in a dry camp situation – there are no hookups for water or electricity.
2. Gecko Road, adjacent to the Buttercup Ranger Station: This location offers full hookups for water, electricity, and sewer dump. Inside Buttercup Ranger Station, there is a washer and dryer available for use by the camp host.

In addition, the BLM provides camp hosts with a minimum monthly reimbursement of $250 to cover living expenses.

Anyone interested in these volunteer camp host positions can reach out to the BLM directly:
• BLM El Centro Field Office, 760-337-4400
• Email: Roger Rubio, r1rubio@blm.gov

My wife showed me that. I'm familiar with camp volunteers/hosts. I don't even know where to begin with this shitty offer. $250 should at least be per week for what they'll have to go through.
And the dry site? Are you kidding?!

This is the typical disconnect between government workers and reality. Why would someone put themselves through this when they could just go live out there on their own for the whole season?

Work-camping is extremely popular with fulltime RVers.
Ya, at formal campgrounds and parks. I'm wondering what the work description is here. Restrooms are handled by crews with equipment.
They supposed to enforce? No fuckin way. Take complaints and emergency calls?
I supposed they can patrol Gecko and make notes for LE.

Ya, at formal campgrounds and parks. I'm wondering what the work description is here. Restrooms are handled by crews with equipment.
Good read on the Glamis Narc from RDP

Free spot to camp over winter with an extra $250 in their pocket each month. If you're already in the area (and there are about 300k of them between here and Quartzite, why not take up the offer? Wouldn't be me but for somebody retired or remote working already, easy money to hang out somewhere you were already gonna be anyways.

Free spot to camp over winter with an extra $250 in their pocket each month. If you're already in the area (and there are about 300k of them between here and Quartzite, why not take up the offer? Wouldn't be me but for somebody retired or remote working already, easy money to hang out somewhere you were already gonna be anyways.

I found out this summer, while I was camping up in Mammoth, there is a website/company that lists all these jobs!

The good spots (like summer gigs in Mammoth) go quick. The couple I talked to said they were already looking at next year, and trying to find a new spot to host at.

I would guess this spot would be on the bottom of the desirable list.

The folks that do this have it all figured out. 👍🏼

P.S. If it was me, there are at least 2 spots on the river, on the CA side of Parker, that I would be looking at Hard for the winter. Id also be looking around Idaho for a summer time gig. 😎

I found out this summer, while I was camping up in Mammoth, there is a website/company that lists all these jobs!

The good spots (like summer gigs in Mammoth) go quick. The couple I talked to said they were already looking at next year, and trying to find a new spot to host at.

I would guess this spot would be on the bottom of the desirable list.

The folks that do this have it all figured out. 👍🏼

P.S. If it was me, there are at least 2 spots on the river, on the CA side of Parker, that I would be looking at Hard for the winter. Id also be looking around Idaho for a summer time gig. 😎
Yea, certainly wouldn't be my choice lol. But between Yuma and Quartzite (literally not a single thing around and more desolate than Gecko), there are thousands of campers all winter. No hookups and 45 minutes to get to the nearest anything (water not to mention a store). They buy their BLM pass and chill out in the nice weather all winter. Big uproar this year because the annual pass went up to $600 so it will be interesting to see if that reduces the numbers.

Yea, certainly wouldn't be my choice lol. But between Yuma and Quartzite (literally not a single thing around and more desolate than Gecko), there are thousands of campers all winter. No hookups and 45 minutes to get to the nearest anything (water not to mention a store). They buy their BLM pass and chill out in the nice weather all winter. Big uproar this year because the annual pass went up to $600 so it will be interesting to see if that reduces the numbers.

Those folks aren't paying for anything...

Those folks aren't paying for anything...

These aren't the seedy type, they're just people that like boondocking. The tweaker labs are out there all year but tend to move when the blue hairs come in. There are actually 2 in the riding area just outside our resort; kind of surprising but I bet they're gone in the next two weeks (some of these old bastards don't mess around lol).

These aren't the seedy type, they're just people that like boondocking. The tweaker labs are out there all year but tend to move when the blue hairs come in. There are actually 2 in the riding area just outside our resort; kind of surprising but I bet they're gone in the next two weeks (some of these old bastards don't mess around lol).

Copy.

I think the point I was tryin to make was, the retired camp host peeps, are a different breed/crowd than the desert boondocking crowd?

But ya never know right? One of em Might be happy in the dry camp spot?? I don't think any of us would! :p

You got me motivated to poke around...

I'm gonna have to look into the marina jobs listings! 😁

Copy.

I think the point I was tryin to make was, the retired camp host peeps, are a different breed/crowd than the desert boondocking crowd?

But ya never know right? One of em Might be happy in the dry camp spot?? I don't think any of us would! :p

You got me motivated to poke around...

I'm gonna have to look into the marina jobs listings! 😁

They're all psycho if you ask me lol. Seems to be a 50/50 split between retirees and younger peeps for the work-campers. Maybe skewed a little more towards the retired/semi-retired. I think the younger crowd is catching on to ways of freeing up money by working remotely and freeing up rent/mortgage by work camping at the same time.

Yeah. Free camping at Silverstrand or Carlsbad state beach for the summer in exchange for 20 hours per week, sign me up. But no need to work 20 hours a week to stay at Glamis the whole season, just do it.

Back