Tells us about your dune trip @ Thanksgiving

John@Outfront

Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Due to family in town my group is going out next week but I don’t think there is a thread about your thanksgiving week at the dunes

pics , wind, friends, races, fun times. Please share…………

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll come back when y'all let us know. We're excited to live thru you this weekend. Peace

I went out just for the day to ride with my group. I have a 2 year old and 2 week old at home and my wife wasn’t ready to go camp yet.
It was windy driving out there and it was windy all day, but that’s what goggles are for. I wish I had taken more pictures, as it was a full adventure! 
One car in our group hit the witches eye that was pretty unavoidable and wasn’t able to throttle out. Nothing broke but it took awhile to get him out. We became a spectacle, as other groups parked up above and watched.  One guy even came up and started directing us to do it completely opposite to how we were about to do it. It was pretty funny. 30 seconds later it was out, after an hour of preparation. I don’t mind all that stuff, it makes for good stories and good adventures, as it’s all apart of being out there. 
Dunes were very very soft in a lot of areas. 
Weather was beautiful. My car ran absolutely awesome. I was out with my buddies. A lot of work for just a day trip but so worth it. 

3B8FC30D-5005-461E-816C-7DB4559BC43D.jpeg

40EE93CB-A0E9-40BD-8188-3CC664B8DD8E.jpeg

CF11160B-3530-426D-BEBE-C4875DEA1E79.jpeg

DD98A274-1EB2-4E6A-9B3B-C579968C3B57.jpeg

I was checking your car out yesterday, your group is next to ours. I had the exact same car but in Grey. That car handled insane through everything but the whoops. 
That is correct. Does not handle in the whoops. 

In Las Vegas Thursday through Sunday. 

No Turkey Dunes this year.

200.gif

Here is my 5 day report.

My 1st Thanksgiving in Glamis.  We have always done Gordons/Buttercup.

Wind was INSANE for Wednesday and Thursday.  Ranger station on Gecko measured 42mph gusts.  I have never seen it that bad out there.  I had over 1" of sand in my car after it was over.

Dunes were AMAZING after the wind stopped.  At least for a few hours before all the sand fleas got out there and put all the razor chop back.

Hit 100mph (in the dunes) on a couple of runs.  Was awesome.

We stayed in the washes, 7, and the washes lived up to the #shitshow like everyone said.  LOL.  They weren't that bad actually until Friday.  Then the mariachi music moved in and the all night parties.  

We moved T-day meal to Friday cause of the wind.

Never went to the drags, not worth it.

Hit Olds for a while Friday night, was cool to see.

Buddy stuck his 42' moho and stacker on the way out.  1 hour worth of digging/pulling and he was all good.

Great times around the fire.

Got there Wednesday through Saturday. Place was packed everywhere. Dunes were very good most everywhere though since the wind blew. Closer we got to olds and vendors the more people we seen. Camped on Gecko.

Drags were off the hook busy!

Olds was packed almost all the time.

one trip to vendors was enough as holy hell there was people everywhere!

Dunes towards swingset were great!

Did a border wall run Saturday and there are rzr ruts down much of it now.

Gordons Well was packed!

Seen some poor folks rig go up in flames on turkey day..

It was a great time as always, but the busiest I’ve seen so far.

Didnt take many pics..

4186E037-A907-43C7-9B1A-FD42A7552E03.jpeg

82C29B2C-88CA-4756-AB18-A0E01D48C354.jpeg

D72F2998-A5D1-48D8-BD08-EEC439A710A7.jpeg

8B6F49D0-AB85-4FB0-8D66-F13CE1FBC4C4.jpeg

Hate to see FIRE. Sure missing the lounge chair with feet in the sand! Looks relaxing! Peace

Went out Tuesday afternoon. Never seen it so packed out there, but was able to camp off gecko.

Lost my trans on Wednesday afternoon.

Was able to hitch a ride in my buddies car till he broke his spindle snout. Watching a front tire do flying next to you really is a site to see.

Stayed away from the drags as they were the busiest and longest I have ever seen.

Left Saturday afternoon and typical Morongo traffic turned a 3 hour drive into 5 hours.

Overall a good trip.

Arrived Saturday and left the following Saturday afternoon.  I did not think this Thanksgiving was nearly has busy as last year.  Normally there are ton of people pulling in late Thursday night and I did not see that.  The Washes were busy and vendors was very busy the few times we went buy.

Only a few small issue, but nothing that ruined the trip.  Had to replace trailing arms on my Can Am after the aftermarket one developed a crack.  We welded the crack but it did not hold up after two more rides.  Covered a lot of dunes over the week.  My kid broke his throttle cable on his quad on the last ride of the trip. Thankfully it happen at Olds so it was an easy tow back to camp.  

Lots of wind this trip which helped keep the dunes from being a mess.  Lots more people in the dunes this year versus those that just stay on Sand Highway.  The Ledge was packed the one evening we went by.  Rode my quad a few of the days because the dunes were so nice.  Found a hidden treasure in the dunes while riding the quad. 

t1.png

t3.jpg

t4.jpg

t5.jpg

t3.jpg

Went out Tuesday afternoon. Never seen it so packed out there, but was able to camp off gecko.

Lost my trans on Wednesday afternoon.

Was able to hitch a ride in my buddies car till he broke his spindle snout. Watching a front tire do flying next to you really is a site to see.

Stayed away from the drags as they were the busiest and longest I have ever seen.

Left Saturday afternoon and typical Morongo traffic turned a 3 hour drive into 5 hours.

Overall a good trip.
When we lived in ca  we use to leave sat to avoid the sun traffic but up until a few years ago it was nice then it just got bad still better than sunday at the time though today i imagine its just as bad either day.Lived in fullerton sat when we use to leave was a 4.5 to 5 hr drive with stop.Then became a 6 hr drive.Last year was the first we didnt have to do it now being in az.

Amazing week, our group goes to Buttercup for Tday every year (30 years straight).  Got there on Tuesday morning, came home on Sunday.  The wind was bad, but not terribly bad.  Duned and sat outside in it the entire time, was still able to have a fire at night as well.  For Tday, the entire group ate outside as well.  Dunes were smooth and fast.  I also still cooked my turkey outside with the trach can method, zero issues with the wind doing so.

I think because everyone wants to be where the people are, Buttercup was the quietest Tday I can remember, both camping and dunes.  The closest camp from us was nearly 500 yards away.  Never saw a Ranger the entire trip, not even checking passes.  

I even think the traffic coming home was lighter than normal.

Man, it was packed out there. I never seen people camping where they were camping. I have never seen anyone park on the other side of the highway. We parked with @Squatcher and @Stugots in the washes (11). These guys were awesome. Paul and his crew welcomed my buddies and made a spot for me and my rig. I have never camped in teh washes but it was fun. We drooled on and ripped Paul's new Funco. It was bad ass. We duned quite a bit. drank some good stuff, went to the hill and watched the chit show. It was a quick trip for me (2 days) but it was so well worth it. This was a great group to camp with, and I look forward to the next trip. I don't do the drags, but the ledge was packed and got to hang with some other good buddies. Lots of people and gonna start scheduling off weekends. Otherwise, it was a great trip.

Good and Bad.  I was there from Sunday before Thanksgiving through Saturday afternoon.  Great week; awesome sand, a bit of wind on a couple of days, but nothing too bad.  Swingset was packed on Saturday especially, and China Wall had a lot of people on Thursday as well. New (to me) CanAm ran awesome, had a bit of trouble with my ATC250R, but again nothing major.  Ususally leave at crack of dawn Sunday to avoid the traffic, but this time decided to pull out about 3pm Saturday.  Mistake.  Several accidents in the pass area had traffic down to 5mph from Palm springs all the way to Banning.  Oh well, it is what it is.

Serious inquiry though; On Friday afternoon, there was a head-on collision between a bike and a truck out in front of Pad 4.  Rider was hurt very badly; broken leg and internal injuries.  Got airlifted out by Reach.  Wondering if anyone here knew the guy and how he's faring?

Last edited by a moderator:
Good and Bad.  I was there from Sunday before Thanksgiving through Saturday afternoon.  Great week; awesome sand, a bit of wind on a couple of days, but nothing too bad.  Swingset was packed on Saturday especially, and China Wall had a lot of people on Thursday as well. New (to me) CanAm ran awesome, had a bit of trouble with my ATC250R, but again nothing major.

Serious inquiry though; On Friday afternoon, there was a head-on collision between a bike and a truck out in front of Pad 4.  Rider was hurt very badly; broken leg and internal injuries.  Got airlifted out by Reach.  Wondering if anyone here knew the guy and how he's faring?
Someone posted on FB that he has a broken femur and he will be OK...............

Someone posted on FB that he has a broken femur and he will be OK...............
Wow, that's great.  I'm actually amazed; since it appeared that he had some internal injuries as well.  My SIL was the ER Tech that I brought over in my Can Am prior to any of the BLM/emergency personnel arriving.  Again, glad he's going to be OK.

Back