Summer Upgrade to the SU

ChasingSand

Reaction score
Figured the site could use some more Sand Car content. 

Small upgrades this summer are planned:

Pull motor to replace cylinder head due my dumbass mistake and replace rear main seal

Pull trans to have it regeared for the turbo j series. Currently geared for a rotary

Have SU in chino update the front arms to their sand pro 2 setup and add Bypasses.

Install brand new wiring harness from PJ’s customs  

I will try to take as many photos as possible.

IMG_1286.jpeg

IMG_1287.jpeg

IMG_1293.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Please post your before and after gear ratios when your done. Also what difference the gear change made for spooling and duning. Following.

Don't know what kind of top end you wish, but my 2d had a 1.36 4th gear and I loved it. Now this was strictly a dune car.

Broke one of the valve cover bolts in the head and completely mauled the head in trying to extract the bolt. 

IMG_0745.jpeg

Could not figure out why my drivers side valve cover breather line always leaked. Always had to crank down on it and realized tonight that it’s cross threaded. Ordered a die that is supposed to fit so hoping that will fix this F up. 

IMG_1304.jpeg

IMG_1303.jpeg

Is that an extractor broken off in the bolt or just a broken bolt?  If just a broken bolt we could still extract that “ on the car”

Is that an extractor broken off in the bolt or just a broken bolt?  If just a broken bolt we could still extract that “ on the car”
So unfortunately I broke the extractor off in the head. I was finally able to remove the extractor but the threads were beyond repair so I tried to use a helix coil and in drilling it out I create a nasty mangled mess in the head that is beyond repair. I was trying to do all this the night before a trip. I should have just silicone the valve cover on and let you guys fix it.

So unfortunately I broke the extractor off in the head. I was finally able to remove the extractor but the threads were beyond repair so I tried to use a helix coil and in drilling it out I create a nasty mangled mess in the head that is beyond repair. I was trying to do all this the night before a trip. I should have just silicone the valve cover on and let you guys fix it.
so you are taking off the head?  there are other inserts  like timeserts and they even have bigserts for oversize jobs,  we have them all in stock and can do amazing repairs so just in case you dont want to replace the head let me know

we do 5-10 inserts a day

so you are taking off the head?  there are other inserts  like timeserts and they even have bigserts for oversize jobs,  we have them all in stock and can do amazing repairs so just in case you dont want to replace the head let me know

we do 5-10 inserts a day
That is a bummer to find out now! I already ordered a new OEM head. Will keep you in mind for the next time I mess something up and will reach out before I attempt to fix it myself!

That is a bummer to find out now! I already ordered a new OEM head. Will keep you in mind for the next time I mess something up and will reach out before I attempt to fix it myself!
Repair the head and sell? Recoup some funds.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like I’m making a call to Kennedy on Monday. Not sure if any of it can be saved. 

IMG_1308.jpeg

IMG_1309.jpeg

IMG_1310.jpeg

First of all I have all KEP clutch parts in stock. That type of repair on the head is a lot different with a piece  missing.  That repair would require the head off and would need to weld it up first then install an insert. If successful would charge $150. If not—no charge

First of all I have all KEP clutch parts in stock. That type of repair on the head is a lot different with a piece  missing.  That repair would require the head off and would need to weld it up first then install an insert. If successful would charge $150. If not—no charge
Can your team resurface the flywheel? Also what is the cost on for the clutch disc and PP? It’s based on the older Vw output shaft. 9” and stage 3

Back