Subscription Services Coming To A Car You Own!

PoppaWillie

Reaction score
It would appear that the automotive industry is moving towards subscription based fees to let you do things like use your key fob to remote start your car!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLlzAv2GTdc

I enjoy watching many of the post from Steve Lehto as has a pretty good sense of when something is just F'n crazy!

total bullshit! Recently bought a 2016 duramax and they want to charge you to use the my chevy app to remote start, unlock, quick diagnostics, etc... pretty irritating. I won't be purchasing another vehicle that has any of those traits or subscriptions. I get the cellular/wifi, but to use what should be included or standard features, total bullshit

I saw that Toyota says it you get the first three years free and then it is $8.00 a month.  Eff that

Remember when a vehicle was nice because it was a pleasure to drive instead of full of TV screens?

Last edited by a moderator:
that move I am sure comes after significant market analysis by "highly skilled" (sarcasm) MBA's recently out of school ...

The US has become tied to services and "younger people" are accustomed to subscriptions and not owning anything - they prefer it. I think it will 100% accepted. It will also just as it does with smartphones make people trade them every 3 years which sells more cars.

They are just leveraging the change in "Culture" coming and already here in the US and most of Europe. 

This is not a lot different than CA outlawing SFR's  - culture change to move people into apartments with No parking to take mass transit (control) or New EV's ONLY being discounted if you use them for Rideshare - or any other cultural change the elites are putting into place to reshape the country in progress over the next 3-5 years. 

Toyota is big enough to test the waters on this and see if idiots bite - and they will -  marketing is powerful and people are sheep 

that move I am sure comes after significant market analysis by "highly skilled" (sarcasm) MBA's recently out of school ...

The US has become tied to services and "younger people" are accustomed to subscriptions and not owning anything - they prefer it. I think it will 100% accepted. It will also just as it does with smartphones make people trade them every 3 years which sells more cars.

They are just leveraging the change in "Culture" coming and already here in the US and most of Europe. 

This is not a lot different than CA outlawing SFR's  - culture change to move people into apartments with No parking to take mass transit (control) or New EV's ONLY being discounted if you use them for Rideshare - or any other cultural change the elites are putting into place to reshape the country in progress over the next 3-5 years. 

Toyota is big enough to test the waters on this and see if idiots bite - and they will -  marketing is powerful and people are sheep 
BMW and Tesla are pioneers in this. 

https://www.businessinsider.com/bmw-subscription-model-for-features-2020-7

Just buy an aftermarket alarm with all of the remote features. They can't control aftermarket stuff. My 2020 Camry came with a 1 yr subscription to a remote app that let me see the odometer and tire pressure on my phone. To me, those are worthless features, since I can see the odo on the dash and knowing what the tire pressure is might be useful but I'd still need to use a compressor to inflate the tires - I never check the tires unless I have a compressor with me to inflate, so looking at my phone and seeing the tire pressure was barely useful.

Just buy an aftermarket alarm with all of the remote features. They can't control aftermarket stuff. My 2020 Camry came with a 1 yr subscription to a remote app that let me see the odometer and tire pressure on my phone. To me, those are worthless features, since I can see the odo on the dash and knowing what the tire pressure is might be useful but I'd still need to use a compressor to inflate the tires - I never check the tires unless I have a compressor with me to inflate, so looking at my phone and seeing the tire pressure was barely useful.
I agree, no need to pay for this.............but paying for keyless entry would suck

I agree, no need to pay for this.............but paying for keyless entry would suck
You don't fit their demographic, so you are an anomaly  - if "enough" of you stand up and do that, they will lock you out.  Remember car companies can always shut down the aftermarket stating "safety or emissions" reasons. The more Softwre controlled these cars are,  the less control you will have - thats a fact. 

Tesla is a different animal - its like Apple and "apple Fan Boys" (guilty)  and well BMW is similar to Apple - when I worked for Steve J he would always tell us "BMW has a 2% marketshare, the most loyal customers and are highly profitable, thats what Apple needs to be"  (then the iphone hit...)
I feel like I am a minority, I am anti Apple.  I see them as a huge cult.

I feel like I am a minority, I am anti Apple.  I see them as a huge cult.
There are things about Apple that make my blood boil - elitist crap, but the products are superior - thats the way most BMW drivers as well.

When I read the "Speed UTV" thread I see that clearly with Spped vs, Canned Hams vs Polaris 

If the UTV's started charging subscriptions - would people stop buying them?

When I bought the car, the financing guy tried to get me to buy the alarm for $595. I laughed and told him I could get an alarm installed at the same place I get the windows tinted, so forget it. He finally dropped to $300, then $95 and I let them leave it in for $95. My lock/unlock function is not subscription based, so no worries on this car, but if it was, the same aftermarket alarm would lock/unlock it.

The car also came with a 6 month Sirius/XM sub. I have several portable Sirius receivers with car and home docking cradles and lifetime subscriptions. I'm just going to mount one of the car docks in the car, hook up BT and pair it to the car and use it for free until the car dies, 30 yrs from now. Or Sirius gets obsoleted by Elon Musk's free satellite service. Imagine if Elon decided to put the satellite TV arseholes out of business! He's already building cars, rockets, spaceships, internet satellites/receivers, a satellite/5G cell phone called Pi, a tunnel boring machine, flame thrower, portable nuclear reactors, massive grid size battery banks, home solar panel systems, home battery systems, and HVAC integrated with hot water and radiant heating coming soon.  

There are things about Apple that make my blood boil - elitist crap, but the products are superior - thats the way most BMW drivers as well.

When I read the "Speed UTV" thread I see that clearly with Spped vs, Canned Hams vs Polaris 

If the UTV's started charging subscriptions - would people stop buying them?
There is a new generation that will accept monthly payments/subscriptions for everything, like you mentioned above.  Drives me nuts, my goal is to reduce my monthly nut.  This new generation has no interest in actually owning anything, for the most part they would rather rent or pay a monthly fee for everything................from food service, to TV, To radio, to cars and a place to live.  Thus your answer to the above is NO.

When I bought the car, the financing guy tried to get me to buy the alarm for $595. I laughed and told him I could get an alarm installed at the same place I get the windows tinted, so forget it. He finally dropped to $300, then $95 and I let them leave it in for $95. My lock/unlock function is not subscription based, so no worries on this car, but if it was, the same aftermarket alarm would lock/unlock it.

The car also came with a 6 month Sirius/XM sub. I have several portable Sirius receivers with car and home docking cradles and lifetime subscriptions. I'm just going to mount one of the car docks in the car, hook up BT and pair it to the car and use it for free until the car dies, 30 yrs from now. Or Sirius gets obsoleted by Elon Musk's free satellite service. Imagine if Elon decided to put the satellite TV arseholes out of business! He's already building cars, rockets, spaceships, internet satellites/receivers, a satellite/5G cell phone called Pi, a tunnel boring machine, flame thrower, portable nuclear reactors, massive grid size battery banks, home solar panel systems, home battery systems, and HVAC integrated with hot water and radiant heating coming soon.  
You forgot Elon Musk also has Neuralink  - the Brain Implant chip that will you to control things with your brain including getting internet off his satellites including music  - I would say he is an overachiever  ....

https://www.dazeddigital.com/science-tech/article/55015/1/elon-musk-brain-chips-will-be-ready-for-human-implantation-next-year-neuralink

Speaking of the younger generation...

have you guys been noticing more and more of these FB posts from people stranded out in the dunes, like by Brawley slide or China Wall, asking if anyone could deliver a Polaris Rzr 1000 front axle to them before it gets dark?

:lmao:

You forgot Elon Musk also has Neuralink  - the Brain Implant chip that will you to control things with your brain including getting internet off his satellites including music  - I would say he is an overachiever  ....

https://www.dazeddigital.com/science-tech/article/55015/1/elon-musk-brain-chips-will-be-ready-for-human-implantation-next-year-neuralink
No, I completely missed that, haven't heard of it! Although I'm cautious about taking OTC meds, so I'm very wary about some kind of neural implant! I'll have to read up on that.

I'm pretty surprised about his distrust of AI, considering he's on the forefront of it. He's worried about some sort of Skynet-like AI revolt. Isaac Asimov outlined the 3 laws of robotics and I would think Elon Musk would use those to prevent a future revolt.

Back