Subaru vs ecotec?

On Subis how big of a difference is there between SOHC and DOHC? As I understand the SOHC has more torque/mid range, which seems better for a drive cruiser. 

Would an N/A EJ20 SOHC be in underpowered slug? 
I don't really know, but I did have a SOHC 2.2 turbo for a long time, it was a rocket ship.

I went from well built 2275 to a Honda j35. Love it power is great big step up from 2275. 

I was considering The ecotec before but came across a deal on a j35 I could not pass up at 1500 for engine ecu and adapter plate out if a buggy. Sub is nice but pricey to swap. 

I have a 4 seat Chenowth Explorer. I also had a 2275 VW polished and ported with a 002 transaxle and 930 CVs. I now have a Honda 3.0 which I think is good for my trans. Best thing I did!! No more carbs to sync was a plus, plus VW parts are expensive. I used  a motor from Arizona Performance Imports and has been very reliable. 

It does add weight since the motor is heavier and now you need a radiator. Either way it is a lot more fun having reliable power and duning in 3 rd gear. 

Whichever engine you chose will be waaaaay better then your 2275. 

Just my opinion. 
Have fun!!

I'll throw in another Honda vote.  If you mind doing a bit of parts hunting, it will be the cheapest route too.  Let me know if you need help...

If you are in love with that car I'd say Honda. But reading that you were about to sell it, what I'd really do is look at Gen 3 pricing and see what you get with that upgrade. From what I remember that change is pretty significant. Cost might only be a little bit more to be in a Gen 3 car, most of which came with Subis. I ran a Honda powered Gen 3 for ten plus years and loved it. Only upgraded to get into a Gen 4 car.

Find some extra coin and do a complete upgrade to include the transaxle. You will get a good portion of the cost back when / if you sell the car, if you keep the car you won’t have the downtime pulling the new motor to fix / upgrade the transaxle later on. 
Rolling 4 deep on that 002 with more power will be a problem at some point, especially if the new motor has a turbo.

My first car was a turbo 1915 vw. Hauled ass, and was a lot of fun, the second had a 3.5 honda. Loved that car, those motors scream, and make right under 300 hp when set up correctly, but, bang for the buck, ecotec all the way. I have 2 friends with ecotec, they both absolutely love them. And they are dirt cheap. Cheaper then a Subi, and parts can be found almost anywhere. Aftermarket support is strong as well. I know the subi has more potential in the long run, bit if it were me, I'd keep it simple and cheap. Pick up an ecotec, drop it in, get a pre tuned ecu, and pre made harness and be done with it. Either way you go, it's going to be an upgrade from the vw..

Back