Subaru vs ecotec?

xtracrispy

Reaction score
So last week first trip cooked my VW; loud knocking and crank has play. 
I’ve thought about doing an engine swap for a while and now it seems like a good time.

I have(had?) a 2276, dual port dual webers, no idea on any other specs. I was overall pretty happy with the torque and drivability but some more power would be welcome, especially for hauling 4 people up the big hills.

I’ve been looking at a 2.0 turbo or 2.5 NA Subaru or an NA ecotec. I like the low CG of the Subaru but ecotecs seem to be pretty reliable, and install seems easy with wiring harnesses and pre tuned PCMs like CBM offers. 

Pros cons to either? 

Car is a Gen2 Funco with an 002 trans. Not looking for a crazy powerhouse but a would like a noticeable power upgrade and more importantly good drivability and reliability. 

Either one turbo charged. Don't bother with going with  natural aspiration. 5-7 lbs of boost and your smiles for miles. Basic setup and pump gas. 

bang for you buck would be a n/a 2.4 ecotec. 7-800 bucks at the junkyard and you used to be able to find a low-ish mileage one (been a few years since i've looked). hammer the dog piss out of it and go. would be night and day compared to a vw imo. none of those options are going to pull the wheels up the hill with 4 people so just go the easy- cheap- pump gas- low maint- and go option. 

my 0.02

I had a 5 seat long travel with a NA ecotec 2.2…. Had around 170 HP. Mated to a built 002.  Rails was light (under 2000lbs empty). Hauled the wife and three kids all over the dunes. It was all about gearing in the trans and keeping the RPM’s up. Rev it to the sky and have a blast. Super reliable and easy to find parts for it. She was fun. The 2.4 has forged internals from the factory and can handle mild boost. 2.2 needs to be built to handle boost. The 2.0 ecotec is an absolute screamer in a light weight rail. All depends on how much weight it’s moving!

Im with the n/a ecotec crowd. You have a fairly Light car and if reliable and easy is your goal, this is the option. All though an n/a honda v6 or sr20 nissan are great platforms too.  
fyi todd has an 1835 for sale he just did an n/a subi swap and is all smiles.

i just picked up a 4 seat chenowth with 002 and 1835 so i will be swapping not long behind you. Im thinking n/a subi or ecotec as well. Bit will not look away from n/a honda or nissan either

I was very happy with my N/A ecotec. I had a 2.2 and it was seeming to be a little tired and I swapped it out for a 2.4. Maybe it was the tune.....but the 2.2 seemed to be better to me. As for turbo, might not do well with that 002 tranny. @Grease Monkeymy n/a 2.2 kept up with you guys...sorta kinda.

I want to go forced induction but not sure how my trans would like that.
Maybe a 2.4 eco would be the way to go, then I could turbo later with a trans upgrade. 

What’s in the 002? Prepared to eventually upgrade the trans when it assplodes? 

Nissan SR20DET is what I’ve been running for 14 seasons now. Starting to get tired, but still hauls ass. Problem is Nissan hasn’t built one in nearly 20 years now, so not as common. SR20VE is their VTEC version, 200whp would be about right in buggy form (header, open intake, etc). Super reliable and light. Get FWD versions of this motor for easier packaging, especially turbo (exhaust would point towards the front otherwise).

Honda J series (3.2 or 3.5) is also super reliable and will make plenty of NA horsepower for the 002 and Gen 2. 

Or… screw it. 2D and a 5.3 LS. :biggrin:

I swapped my vw  for a 2.5 subaru single overhead  cam  NA  it was the best thing I did to the car hands down. 
the trans is a built 091  my car weight is 1,350 lbs  two seater .  The car power to weight is good  I have been considering adding a turbo just haven’t done it lol  John at Out Front helped w all the parts to convert and did an awesome job on the tune.   Super reliable combo dyno tuned at 215 hp to the wheels on pump gas.  66C29964-A9CE-4CAD-9318-A8115F4CEB8B.jpeg

What’s in the 002? Prepared to eventually upgrade the trans when it assplodes? 

Or… screw it. 2D and a 5.3 LS. :biggrin:
Trans is stock, Just had it rebuilt (wife wanted to sell the car then so I didn’t build it, then she decided she wanted to keep it… sigh)

I know it will blow up sooner or later, probably sooner with the way I drive 🤣

I’d honestly probably consider the 2d if they were pre Covid price 😬

Since you have a 4 seat car I would recommend a Subaru 2.5 w turbo 330 hp set up you will be pleased awesome hp & tq. Gas and go only weak link is the trans imo  and 

Since you have a 4 seat car I would recommend a Subaru 2.5 w turbo 330 hp set up you will be pleased awesome hp & tq. Gas and go only weak link is the trans imo  and 
Trans won’t last a weekend at that power level

There is a turbo Subaru in the for sale section....  

I really think Nissans are under=rated.

Our '02 Ody, 3.5 V6....290K on it and it ran like a tiger.  It did not use any oil in a 5K oil change interval.  Then my daughter hit a tree.

My daughter had a $100 Pontiac Grand Prix (2.2 Eco, I think).  I put a fuel pump in it and it ran like crazy.  I don't remember if it used oil or not....I want to say 240K on it.

Some people swear by a Subie.

There are even good Ford motors.

So, the moral of the story is, that it doesn't really matter what you pick.  The cost of the adapter, ECM and getting it to run is what I'd look at....oh, and what I have to pay for it.  You might look at Craigslist for a complete car.....radiator, fans, ecm, and what not come w/it.

The honest truth; in this market (and coming future), with the car you have. Straight n/a swap is as far as i’d go, unless you are extremely attached to the car. 

You are never going to come close to recovering a motor and tranny upgrade. You would be better off repowering cheap re-using existing transaxle and using it. If you want more, replace the motor, sell it, and get alot more car for less $$$ in the long run. 
Im seeing a-arm cars decently equipped with 2d and 4/6 cyl turbo for sub $20k and thats going to be more common soon. 
i really like your car,  but repower/trans upgrade is gonna run 10-12k$ minimum. 

just my thoughts

Last edited by a moderator:
Sausage450r is probably correct. With the large jump in transaxle prices the smaller displacement sand rail market is in for a big hit that push a fair amount over to sxs's, imo. I am not knocking sxs's either, they are the modern "for the mass's" version of the motor cycle powered rails. Definitely evolved quickly in the last 10 years as well.  I purchased a hv24 back in dec with a base price of $8000.......now $16000.  I am replacing the megasand trans I locked up. Sucks too cause that was the last new r&p I had when I sent it off for re gearing. My Ford turbo 2.3 at 30 psi was just too much for it. If that hv24 would've jumped before I purchased i would've parted it out and prob bought a sxs.  

Either option is great, stay away from the turbo with that tranny.  Also stay with a 4 cylinder.  CBM has the Eco swap down to a science, Outfront has the Subie down as well.  The Eco is a bit cheaper, but taller, with the height might be harder to mount a radiator, for that reason I would spend a bit more and go with a subie.  Not sure on the weight, but I think the Subie is lighter and more compact.

On Subis how big of a difference is there between SOHC and DOHC? As I understand the SOHC has more torque/mid range, which seems better for a drive cruiser. 

Would an N/A EJ20 SOHC be in underpowered slug? 

Back