Subaru target AFR?

There are many factors to have detonation. And it’s always a balancing act between many factors. Air temp, fuel octane, static compression, boost, throttle position, ignition map,  cam profile, coolant temp and the list goes on, you can change any one or combination of them above to help.

increase octane, lower boost, lower static compression, pull timing, take your foot off the gas. etc. but one thing you don’t see that I listed is air’fuel ratio. There are ranges for optimum hp air/fuel rations and regardless of the other items mentioned above it should stay in those ranges. Using that as detonation suppression is the wrong method. On any engine!
So to update a little. I’ve talked with the tuner and he says it’s that rich (says was only able to get 11:1 with my injectors) due to my primitive ecu. It doesn’t have IAT correction or knock or WB o2s. For reliability in turbocharged applications. He’s not willing to retune at 12:1. 👎🏻

There’s no one competent in Az to tune the old link. I ended up throwing the buggy on the trailer and headed to buena park. I did a new ecu as my link finally went kaput. And it didn’t just not work, it slowly went out doing weird things along the way. 

There’s no one competent in Az to tune the old link. I ended up throwing the buggy on the trailer and headed to buena park. I did a new ecu as my link finally went kaput. And it didn’t just not work, it slowly went out doing weird things along the way. 
I’ve had this car tuned 3 times by 2 different guys in the last 12 years here in az.. Ran the previous engines about 5-6 yrs each with no issues. I believe they knew how to tune otherwise I would have had more issues in that length of time. 
you could be right about the ecu failing. I’ve seen that before and it does do weird things. 

I’ve had this car tuned 3 times by 2 different guys in the last 12 years here in az.. Ran the previous engines about 5-6 yrs each with no issues. I believe they knew how to tune otherwise I would have had more issues in that length of time. 
you could be right about the ecu failing. I’ve seen that before and it does do weird things. 
I remember having to plug and unplug my Link ecu to get it to run right sometimes.  I believe some of the pins were wore out or lose, I ended up zip tying that plug to the Link as hard as I could.  This fixed my issues for a while, maybe I just got lucky.  

I remember having to plug and unplug my Link ecu to get it to run right sometimes.  I believe some of the pins were wore out or lose, I ended up zip tying that plug to the Link as hard as I could.  This fixed my issues for a while, maybe I just got lucky.  
Yeah I’ve heard of that. We had a guy send his ecu to New Zealand to be repaired once. Just funny it ran perfect before the new engine and now it doesn’t. Hard to blame the ecu quite yet. 

Following.

I'm having what sounds like, a similar problem but with no data.

Car runs great until to jump on the throttle and then it misfires and chugs.  I changed injectors thinking they were dirty, fuel filters, fuel pump, plugs, ...I finally said screw it, I'll figure it out when I do my ECU swap and get it on a dyno.  Until then, I just don't slam the throttle.

Last edited by a moderator:
Following.

I'm having what sounds like, a similar problem but with no data.

Car runs great until to jump on the throttle and then it misfires and chugs.  I changed injectors thinking they were dirty, fuel filters, fuel pump, plugs, ...I finally said screw it, I'll figure it out when I do my ECU swap and get it on a dyno.  Until then, I just don't slam the throttle.
Pretty much 🤨😩

I want to see where this goes as well. I have an old link ECU and no way to tune it or even plug into to it. 

I want to see where this goes as well. I have an old link ECU and no way to tune it or even plug into to it. 
I’ve got the cables. And software. 
Ive spoken with the original link dealer who sold me my link in 2007 and he says he tunes the same AFR 11:1. So I’m looking elsewhere for issues. 

My tuners have aimed for 14.7.
Uh. 

image.gif

14.7:1 and any period at WOT is assplosion time. 

Holy smokes 10 to 1?  That might be ok at 50 psi of boost but is stupid rich!!!  8 psi should be more like 12 to 12.5 to 1. Have it retuned
No sheeyit. Hell, I question its even at 10:1, since most wide bands bottom out at that ratio because…

Nobody tunes chit that rich on purpose!

It could be 2:1 for all we know. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Back