Starter for LS/2D

Bobalos

Reaction score
I have an IMI starter and it's giving up the ghost.  I did a quick search and the number of starters had me confused.   Is there one for this combination or a bunch of them?

Thanks 

Bob

IMI will rebuild it, as will a number of local auto electric shops. :biggrin:

Ok same question as OP. I need a starter for my LS2 and 2D

IMI 101 or 101N both will do 

The N has a little more oomph, same size as the 101 

Last edited by a moderator:
As stated IMI will rebuild it, and they'll do it while you wait, which is pretty cool. Last few I've done were $60-$100 each. Good as new. 

I had IMI rebuild a couple for me.

1 worked and 1 didn't.

Sent it back and they did it again.  

IMI will tell you for a LS motor, the 101N is the correct part number.

I am going to try a Tilton starter.

Supposed to be a better starting, more cranking power.  

I found out last night that Meziere also makes one. 

Meziere Enterprises TS586 - 3HP 12V High Torque Starter Bug, 002 Bus, Mendeola For 12V Flywheel

Thanks.  I used to use auto exchange supply on twain for years, but they got the boot (to build more apartments).  

I will give your folks a call, I need to get this done. 

Has anyone used the tilton or Meziere starters? I’m thinking I need the extra oomph those offer. 

FWIW, what I did was buy the 101N & then take my 101 to Auto Air Marine Electric in El Cajon.  they rebuilt my old one.  mostly they just took it apart, inspected everything, replaced some contacts, cleaned it all up & I think they did something to the motor, but I dont remember exactly. 

I did notice that the motor on the 101N is larger than the one on my 101. it sounds like it cranks it over easier than the 101 did, however it does no crank but for a second before it fires up, so its not like it was laboring in the first place.  the piece of mind for me is worth the extra few bucks. 

to speak to @Jtmoney714 's question, Years ago, we used the Tilton on a twin turbo SBF in a drag car & it was great.  Ive never used a Meziere starter, but have used a bunch of their other products & they were all great products.   Also we used the MSD starter in our 903/942 nitrous motor & we beat the crap out of that thing every round & it was a rock star. 

FWIW, what I did was buy the 101N & then take my 101 to Auto Air Marine Electric in El Cajon.  they rebuilt my old one.  mostly they just took it apart, inspected everything, replaced some contacts, cleaned it all up & I think they did something to the motor, but I dont remember exactly. 

I did notice that the motor on the 101N is larger than the one on my 101. it sounds like it cranks it over easier than the 101 did, however it does no crank but for a second before it fires up, so its not like it was laboring in the first place.  the piece of mind for me is worth the extra few bucks. 

to speak to @Jtmoney714 's question, Years ago, we used the Tilton on a twin turbo SBF in a drag car & it was great.  Ive never used a Meziere starter, but have used a bunch of their other products & they were all great products.   Also we used the MSD starter in our 903/942 nitrous motor & we beat the crap out of that thing every round & it was a rock star. 
👍🏽
When that did mine they replaced the bearings, there’s a few of them that allows everything to spin( think small skateboard style bearings). I was getting sand between the My motor adapter plate and block. Enough to fill up and spill in to the bell housing taking out the throwing out and starter. 

I use the 101N on every Sand car engine - they do fail but not often - they are local, support the sport and give incredible service - never had them not ship back in a day. 

All these small starters use essentially the same "motors" and they make the adaptors (gear reduction) either Billet or cast ... 

Very few rewind the motors because they are already about as efficient as they can get. Usualy Hitachi  and they just change the gear ratio  for more power as long as they can spin 300RPM nearly all EFI ECU's will "catch fire"

I went to the tilton probably 7-8 years ago. I got sick of the imi problems and having to send it in for rebuilds. Tilton has worked like it should

15 years on my Tilton starter and still going strong. With as little use as these starters see on a sand car you should not have to rebuild them IMO 

15 years on my Tilton starter and still going strong. With as little use as these starters see on a sand car you should not have to rebuild them IMO 
IMO its not the time on the starters... its the sand  - everyone I have seen that has failed is from sand getting in since they are not sealed 

I have an IMI starter and it's giving up the ghost.  I did a quick search and the number of starters had me confused.   Is there one for this combination or a bunch of them?

Thanks 

Bob
101-N  do not waist the money on a standard 101, 

Back