Spark Plugs for LS Motor

right............. so where do you go to get the real parts????
That hits the nail on the head ... I just read a couple weeks ago a SEMA blog  (I need to find the url) that was saying that nearly all the non "big retailers"  like autozone and O' Reilly etc. are buying parts through distributors and not from the companies like Bosch, NGK, AC Delco  etc. direct  and in the past these distributors were buying from companies direct, but "some"  are buying from "off shore" distributors  and they were saying that Bosch in particular  since the stuff is mostly made outside the USA is almost always a Knock off. 

They said MANY online retailers buy from off shore distributors so you should ALWAYS only buy from people authorized on the manufacturers website and of course they site Autometer, MSD, and aeromotive as the most knocked off performance products 

Basically we are screwed ...

I use Rockauto a lot to get parts at prices below the Autozones when I have the time to wait and use Amazon for things like "jegs"  when its more convenient or if I know the seller  and they are "authorized"  But being authorized does not mean you can't still buy from a Chinese distributor ...

http://thecounterfeitreport.com  is an interesting site 

Quoting that site:

The U.S. Government Accountability Office (GAO) did an undercover investigation of online ecommerce sites and found that 50 percent of the goods it purchased online were counterfeits (including parts purchased from Amazon, ebay and even Walmart!).

According to the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement division of the Homeland Security Administration, fake parts from China have been flooding the U.S. In 2016, U.S. customs officials seized 31,560 shipments of counterfeit goods worth $1.4 billion -- which unfortunately was only the tip of the iceberg. One shipping container held over 10,000 fake Nissan replacement parts. Yet in spite of the enforcement efforts, most of the fake parts that are shipped to the U.S. slip through customs undetected.

Some sources estimate that counterfeit auto parts are costing the legitimate automotive parts industry over $20 billion dollars in lost revenue every year!

that report was from 6 years ago..................    WTF is the real number now?

Frustrating..........

Ok so with a little light research I just replaced the plugs in my LS2.  You all went down the rabbit hole way to far. Lol.  

I chose to go with the NGK TR55 iridium.  I have not checked the gap yet (nowhere near ready to fire the motor).  It's a stock ls2 with a mild cam and bigger injectors, fast intake, 92mm TB. Using a holley terminator x. I also bought the msd 8.5 superconductor wires. 

How far off am I or will I be ok?

Ok so with a little light research I just replaced the plugs in my LS2.  You all went down the rabbit hole way to far. Lol.  

I chose to go with the NGK TR55 iridium.  I have not checked the gap yet (nowhere near ready to fire the motor).  It's a stock ls2 with a mild cam and bigger injectors, fast intake, 92mm TB. Using a holley terminator x. I also bought the msd 8.5 superconductor wires. 

How far off am I or will I be ok?
 The NGK plugs in general  and the TR55's  are great plugs for LS's are harder to keep the electrode straight when you gap them smaller than the .055 they came gapped at thats why I use the TR5's  - but put the TR55's  at .040  and you are good to go. I personally don't like Iridiums in SC and Turbo cars - they seem to blow out easier. But IMO on an NA engine, if you get the tune right they will last many seasons. 

I have bit of experience with the Holleys and term X I have done a couple dozen by now.

One thing if you are not going to have someone build a tune and tune or dyno your car and you are going getting running on the wizard and tune with learn and touch up, I would buy some cheaper copper TR5's and use those until you get the tune right, or you may be changing plugs and spending 2x the $$ on plugs.  Whenever I help some one self tuning  - when they are done we always change the plugs  - its a best practice, and depending on your exhaust  and where the 02 you may have to change them a couple times during the tune  even on the dyno if the dyno person is good  FWIW.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back